1.    #1  
    I have read with much interest the discussions about the Treo 650 because I too am looking to purchase the 650. Some have indicated that purchasing the Treo 650 now, knowing that EV-DO is around the corner, is a mistake.

I have spoken with a Sprint RF engineer who has indicated that while Sprint and Verizon are going to implement 1xEV-DO (or already have) he indicated that the actual user implementation will be using a PC Card (PCMCIA) on a laptop. He also indicated that full RF power would be required to obtain the signal to noise required because of the wide bandwidths required. By implication it would be a huge battery drain on a hand held device. (True/False?) Is it reasonable to then assume the use of EV-DO on a hand held device to be currently out of reach? Is this why the Treo 650 did not include 1xEV-DO? What am I missing?

Is it then reasonable to put EV-DO on the back burner and implement higher bandwidth Internet access using WiFi? Then there is the question of processor speed being the bottleneck if you have broadband access (either with EV-DO or Wifi).

I would like to hear some feedback concerning this issue. If we get broadband via WiFi then it may not be an issue that EV-DO isn't implemented in the 650. But that is the big question.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Rees
    The Imate PDA2k EVDO will have EVDO built - in, so I'm pretty sure it's possible on a cell phone. See http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?P...AILS_PDA2KEVDO
  3.    #3  
    Ok, good point about the Imate. But wouldn't EVDO consume alot of current from a battery? Wouldn't this drain it quickly?
    Rees
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    There are over 100 handsets using 1XEVDO currently in use in the world.

http://www.3gtoday.com/devices/Devic...2000%201xEV-DO

To be honest, the one i played with in San Diego (during verizon's user trial) did not seem any faster than a 1xrtt handset.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think you may have figured out why the i-Mate PDAdk EVDO does not have wifi. The battery drains too fast if you have both!
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Verizon only has EVDO in select markets right now, and from what I have heard from various Sprint reps is that they won't even be out of test markets until late next year. I would not hold on buying a phone based solely on the availability of EVDO at this time because it won't be fully implemented until 2006.
  7.    #7  
    Well whether it is Sprint or Verizon (I would prefer Sprint) I can see that the EVDO aspect of my decision is to go ahead and purchase the 650. My Treo 300 recently developed a problem not being able to hear who I am talking to on the phone. It has been diagnosed to being a radio problem and not a speaker problem. It doesn't even work with the hands free earphone. So, upgrading to a Treo 650 with my current plan (unlimited vision for $10/mo) and a $150 instant rebate sounds good. Thanks for the input guys.
    Rees
    No company is going to put umts or ev-do in their phones. There are only a handful of markets with those technologies, so it wouldn't be cost effective for them to do it. Give it another year and then it may show up.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13
    There are over 100 handsets using 1XEVDO currently in use in the world.

http://www.3gtoday.com/devices/Devic...2000%201xEV-DO

To be honest, the one i played with in San Diego (during verizon's user trial) did not seem any faster than a 1xrtt handset.
    Dayum! That is an amazing list of phones! Why are we not seeing any of those announced for North America?