1.    #1  
    from my experience in marketing, I would say the camera is not all that great, if it's upgraded to a 1.3M with great improvement, they would advertise this feature... but non of their info shows anything about the camera... so I think the camera is still crappy after all... well not all that crappy... I use it to take "surprise" pictures everyday...
    i told you this ages ago guys, you never believed me. it doesnt have a megapixel camera but a much improved lens so the pics, though still at low rez, will be much crisper and cleaner looking..
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    i told you this ages ago guys, you never believed me. it doesnt have a megapixel camera but a much improved lens so the pics, though still at low rez, will be much crisper and cleaner looking..
    I believed you Then I saw it and no one believed me either
    According to this: http://alteraxion.typepad.com/coolgadgets/T650D3.jpg is is definitely not a 1.3mp camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog

First I've heard about this new lens........
    There's another possibility that I don't think anyone here has mentioned. It's possible that it's a 1.3 (or whatever) megapixel camera but they're using the extra megapixels solely to allow for a useful digital zoom. Why would they restrict saving the images to VGA? The logical answer would be so as to tax the carriers' data networks less.

Note also that if this is a 1.3MP camera that is being software-limited to be used for digital zoom only, it's possible that this spec could vary from one carrier to the next. For example, Sprint might be concerned about bandwidth more and have their branded Treo have digital zoom but with pictures saved at VGA while T-Mobile might want to play up the 1.3MP camera and not care as much about taxing their network, thereby allowing the T-Mobile Treo 650 to save images at full resolution.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    That's an interesting idea Scott.
    ScottR,

That theory seems to explain all the discrepancies we've been hearing about.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Just spoke to a buddy of mine who works for P!. it is a 1.3MP camera. Nuff said
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    Just spoke to a buddy of mine who works for P!. it is a 1.3MP camera. Nuff said
    My man!
    So how many discussions are we going to have on this. ScottR...your theory has been mentioned before...just not as elegantly put.
  12.    #12  
    actually, the zoom is digital zoom, a camera would not be 1.3M and limited to VGA size (640x230 or something like that) and the rest be reserved for zoom, that does not make sense...

digital zoom means you can pretty much enlarge the picture as big as you want and you sacrafise for quality... it is a software based solution pretty much if a software deveoper wants to it is possible to develope a software for treo 600 to do digital zoom... you will just have really bad quality because the quality is bad to begin with...

the reason they say it's improved ... this is what i figured out so far(regardless of camera resolution)... a digital camera needs calculation power processing raw pictures and save it on the disc or phone memory... and with the faster processor, white balance can be adjusted faster, more processing power can be used for digital correction of the raw image...

digital camera in the world is pretty much the same as far as the picture CCD (image sensor) is concerned... what makes each brand and model different is the leanse and photo processing technique... for example... the reason our treo works bad in low light area, is pretty much the same reason if you are inside a box with tiny whole... the amount of light comes through will be smaller than a fist size whole... and in low light condition there is already so little light... so the lense on our treo is a negative to the situation....

I checked the lense of Treo 650... it is the same pinhole size as the 600 (if you use photoshop to enlarge and brighten one of the back view with camera you can see the lense really clearly)...

so in conclution... the 650 must of have improved white balance and image correction software that allows it to take better picture (possibly eliminating the blue dots)...... If you don't believe me... take a cheap *** VGA internet cam(much like the lense we have on treo) and a $150 internet cam with glass lense... you will see dramatic difference in picture quality and light sensativity...
    people who have been testing it spoke on this forum and mentioned it being 1.3 mp.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima16888
    actually, the zoom is digital zoom, a camera would not be 1.3M and limited to VGA size (640x230 or something like that) and the rest be reserved for zoom, that does not make sense...
    With all due respect, I disagree. Traditionally, camera makers have offered cameras with X number of megapixels and a digital zoom where, as you said, the digital zoom simply "played tricks" by doubling the size of the pixels, etc. The end result was that it "zoomed in" but essentially lowered the resolution, thereby doing something ahead of time akin to what you could do via a photo software package after you had taken the picture and downloaded it to your computer. I don't believe that anyone has ever offered a camera that had X number of megapixels that didn't allow you to save the image at maximum resolution but instead utilized the extra "data" for the purposes of allowing added flexibility in digital zooming but without the resolution loss that digital zooming usually results in. That's because it wouldn't make sense to prevent the user from saving their images in max resolution on a traditional camera.

But on a cameraphone, there is a valid reason: bandwidth. Let's take this to the extreme: Imagine how much bandwidth would be required to upload an image from a 5MP cameraphone on today's 2.5G wireless data networks. But a 5MP camera sensor could still be quite useful on a cameraphone if those extra megapixels were used to allow for a truly useful digital zoom (i.e., when zoomed in completely, you had an image that offered a closer view of a particular section where that section was still very detailed).

Scott
  15.    #15  
    trust me.. digital zoom is "digital zoom" if it were optical zoom it would say "optical zoom" any one who owned more then 3-4 digital camera would know the difference.

I'm in the business of marketing and has been for several years now, and 2 or 3 times "optical zoom(result from lense)" is well worth mentioning the advertisement over "improved quality"....

so I can agree that it might have 1.3M, but as far as digital zoom I know what I'm talking about.

and to note.. a higher pixel phone won't get you zoom in further... only software controll can do that... for example it takes a 1.3m pixel and crop the VGA size and give you VGA quality (which can be considered zooming relative to the regular phone with only VGA CCD)

(P.S. I have a 3.1M camera with pinhole lense and it takes treo like pictures at evening and night.)
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Hope this answers all the questions....

The camera takes 16-bit color pictures that are at a maximum VGA resolution of 640x480 pixels (0.3 megapixels), or 320x240 pixels in QVGA resolution. Videos are 320x240 in QVGA resolution or 176x144 in QCIF resolution for CDMA smartphones and 352x288 or 176x144 for GSM smartphones

http://web.palmone.com/products/smar...ltimedia.jhtml
    Quote Originally Posted by ultima16888
    trust me.. digital zoom is "digital zoom" if it were optical zoom it would say "optical zoom" any one who owned more then 3-4 digital camera would know the difference.
    Hmm...I don't think you do. I'm not talking about optical zoom. I know the difference between optical zoom and digital zoom, too. I'm talking about them employing a 1.3MP image sensor with a regular non-optical-zoom lens, but limiting the storage of the images to sub-1.3MP sizes (specifically, VGA: 640x480). The 1.3MP sensor would not go to waste, because the digital zoom would utilize that added resolution so as to zoom in while still ensuring true, added detail.

Scott
    Well since the actaul product page is now up on the palm website..I will go with that...it says 640 by 480!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    Well since the actaul product page is now up on the palm website..I will go with that...it says 640 by 480!
    You are right, but also note the foot note on digital camear:

"Offers vary by mobile service provider and require new service activation. Additional restrictions may apply. Price shown may be after service credit or mail-in rebate. For more details, see the special offers below."

Does this mean that different carriers will offer different resolutions???
  20.    #20  
    i guess it is a VGA with enhanced software after all..