1.    #1  
    A few questions to some of you more experienced users about changing over to new Treo. I have T-mobile with the Treo 180 (yes, the antique).

What is meant by an unlocked phone? Does this mean that all one has to do is move the SIM card over to the T650 and you continue your same service?

What is the best way to transfer calendar, contacts, etc. to the new Treo? Do I simply perform one last synch to my PCs Palm Desktop with my T180 then install the T650 and synch the info to it?

Sorry about the basic questions. I just want to be prepared for making the switch when new phone is available. Thank you.
    You have more or less described the process. The only other requirement is for you to upgrade your Palm Desktop as Palm has incorporated some version checks on applications that would cause problems upgrading from a Palm OS 3.5 to Palm 5.2.

Other users that do use other backup software has bypassed this update and caused problems because of the applications that are not compatible.

Anyway, this is my opinion only and this is based on my upgrade from T270 to T600.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the help.
    I have the exact same situation as OneDeviceGuy.... does the upgrade procedure (updated Palm Desktop Software) apply to Mac OS also? I know Palm has different versions for Mac...

Also, what about 3rd Party apps? Will "restore from backup" work on sync, or do we need to install 3rd party apps all over again from scratch?
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeviceGuy
    A few questions to some of you more experienced users about changing over to new Treo. I have T-mobile with the Treo 180 (yes, the antique).

What is meant by an unlocked phone? Does this mean that all one has to do is move the SIM card over to the T650 and you continue your same service?

What is the best way to transfer calendar, contacts, etc. to the new Treo? Do I simply perform one last synch to my PCs Palm Desktop with my T180 then install the T650 and synch the info to it?

Sorry about the basic questions. I just want to be prepared for making the switch when new phone is available. Thank you.
    What I'd recommend is to make a copy of the following directory.
    C:\program files\palm (or handspring)\sr (or user name)\backup

This is where most of the other software that's on the device is "backed up". You can confirm by checking the dates of the files that have been modified. You can simply rename the file to "oldbackup" once you've sync'd your T180.

The reason that I recommend this process is to "clear out" the none core applications that don't come on the T650 and to clear out any other files that have managed to make their way and stay on your T180. By doing this you'll be able to start "fresh" but keep your core data intact such as calendar, address book (now contacts) etc.

Next install the new Palm Desktop and select the same user name as your T180, assuming you want to use the old programs again. By selecting the same user name you can then double click (I'd suggest one at a time) from the backup directory the files you want to add into the T650 such as any add on programs that you installed.

By adding only one at a time you'll be able to track and errant programs that might force a hard reset because of incompatibilities issues.

Just be certain to not double click or add files that your unsure of: specifically don't add SavedPreferences.prc or unsavedpreferences.pdb. These files contain system information and I guarantee they will cause a reset to occur if they accidentally make their way onto your T650.

This sounds long and drawn out and it is but compared to having to try and isolate a program that conflicts with the T650 that didn't with the T180 it's a lot easier.

Also, don't forget to keep your registration numbers handy for any add on programs because they will be needed. Most registration numbers are stored in the preference files I mentioned and unfortunately those two files are device specific and will be "erased" even if you don't follow my guidelines.

good luck....we'll be around if you need further help or suggestions.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by TPucca
    I have the exact same situation as OneDeviceGuy.... does the upgrade procedure (updated Palm Desktop Software) apply to Mac OS also? I know Palm has different versions for Mac...

Also, what about 3rd Party apps? Will "restore from backup" work on sync, or do we need to install 3rd party apps all over again from scratch?

I can't speak for Mac.....restore from backup should work but you will still have to have your registration numbers handy for some of those programs. The programs that use part of the Device ID will have to be upgraded such as Agendus or Datebk. However, both allow you to upgrade to a new device for free unless you exceed too many new devices in a specified period.

Other programs should only require the registration number be re-entered. Just make certain that your backup does not contain the SavedPreference.prc and any unsavedpreference files as these are device specific and will cause a hard reset.

I would think that the installation process of the mac Palm Desktop should be extremely similar to the PC so I'd just install the CD and go.

Worst case scenario - you end up beaming the old programs from the T600 to the T650 and register them on the new device.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.