Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dunno, but after reading the specs on the new treo, vga cam, no wifi etc. my Treo 600 just got a WHOLE lotta more respect.

23 MB Available... Is Palm One SERIOUS??!!!!!!!

How can anyone with a Treo 600 and the software and the cases and the adapters etc etc etc etc POSSIBLY justify shelling out a wad of cash for this one????

With 1 GB cards available under 50 bucks.... 23 MB Available

Say the above in your head really slowly a few times and the answer to whether you should upgrade your ground breaking Treo 600 will be crystal clear.
    I have detailed files.
    The only thing that makes me think about upgrading is the higher resolution screen.
    Amen! My 600 is finally running great. It serves my business well. I'm not _____around to try and get a 650 going. When the 600 fails me, then I'll let the 650 come into play.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    if i hadnt sold my 600 already i think i would have just kept it. >,<
    Quote Originally Posted by Treominator
    What would you do with 24MB that you couldn't do with 23?

Seriously... My Treo 180 only has 16MB, but it's still got 5MB free. And that's after stuffing it with:
    • An English dictionary
    • Several games
    • Every contact, appointment, and financial transaction (SplashMoney) that I've made in the last two years

Sure, it would be nice to have more memory, but what do you need it for? <-- Not a rhetorical question
    Most of the people I know with Treo 600s (or other palmOS devices) never come anywhere close to filling up memory. My guess is that palmOne figured that the small percentage of people who would fill up 23MB wouldn't mind buying a cheap SD card.
    When I get back to england (on holiday in america atm) I'll send you the link of a page @whats on my treo"! Its very easy to fill 23mb!!
    Not enough of an upgrade to make me shell out almost $800 for the 650. Less than 64meg for a next-gen device is just plain stupid regardless of the ever-dropping prices of SDcards.
    I just don't understand what the big deal is about the memory. I have my 600 loaded with all kinds of extra software, ebooks, et al plus I use a 1GB SD. At any given time I have about 11-12MB of memory left on the 650 itself. As far as justification for upgrading, just the improved screen does it for me.
    I don't think it just about memory. Even though not all of the specs are accurate at this point, we are finding a few flaws or shortcomings of the Treo600 have not been addressed. The 650 will be an awesome device, especially compared to some of the others that have been or will be released but some of the "upgrades" don't justify the price. If a hi-res screen and Bluetooth gets your money, more power to ya. Its just not enough for me right now especially with more important additions like more RAM and Wi-fi are not part of the package and they should be. palmOne should have listened to us...
    I guess palmOne is counting on morons like me. Just the Bluetooth alone is enough to mak e me buy a new one. I am begining to hate the BT200 with the dumb plug in thing to make the geadset wireless. Very annoying.

I was hoping that P1 was going to give us at least 64mb, BT, and a Hi Res svreen. They got 2 ot of 3
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    So 23mb, eh? That's disappointing. I know you can run apps from the card but some apps HAVE to run from the ram: Agendus(alarms), reqwireless and JVM, mp3-alert w/ptunes, Docs to Go suite(which is HUGE), and others that are extension type apps. Also, I've asked this question before: Will the movie recorder go directly to ram or card? With less space in the ram, the shorter the recording time.
    Very very very short sighted of them. Too bad that they think the T5 should have 256M but a "phone" doesn't need that much.. Hopefully sales figures will wake them up...

I know they're probably thinking you can use an SD card, but what they're not thinking of is that a lot of applications need to record to ram (using a card it too slow) to be able to record voice memos (audio) and or small video clips. Not to mention that I easily have more than 23 MB of applications and their associated databases... (Like the bibe with 5 translations for example)

WAKE UP PALMONE!

Last edited by IamVincent; 10/24/2004 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    I just don't understand what the big deal is about the memory. I have my 600 loaded with all kinds of extra software, ebooks, et al plus I use a 1GB SD. At any given time I have about 11-12MB of memory left on the 650 itself. As far as justification for upgrading, just the improved screen does it for me.
    Sounds like you're a perfect candidate to work at PalmOne! I've got a MacPlus in the garage you can have!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    My e-mail blob files alone eats up the memory. Every couple of weeks I have to delete the files and re-set up my email. I have 2 pop accounts plus the work account on the Sprint business connect.

I with Docs 2 Go and the movie ap.........I'm down to 3 consistently.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    ... I know you can run apps from the card but some apps HAVE to run from the ram: ... Docs to Go suite(which is HUGE)...
    I think you'll find that although the 240k Documents program needs to be in RAM, you can keep the WordToGo (738k), SheetToGo (577k) and SlideshowToGo (314k) on the SD card, and they'll just get loaded to RAM when needed. Certainly that was the case a couple of versions back.
    Other thing to consider is that Hi-Res programs take up more memory than lo-res typically, so the same apps you have today that come in a hi-res version are going to take up more space than what's on your treo today...

we'll have to wait and see....
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Putting e.g. 128MB of flash RAM in the T650 would not have made it much more expensive, but it would have made it much more attractive. See how proudly P1 is marketing the 256MB in the T5. Must be they themselves are also convinced that more RAM is a significant advantage. So I have to agree that this move with the T650 is disappointing, if not stupid. Clearly it will prevent some people from upgrading.

Not me though. I am not the kind that will install every little app and utility under the sun, so with 23MB I will still have room to spare. And for me, the screen, BT and better ergonomics are good enough reasons to upgrade. But then....easy for me to say, as Sprint will simply swap out my 600 for a 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom
    My e-mail blob files alone eats up the memory. Every couple of weeks I have to delete the files and re-set up my email. I have 2 pop accounts plus the work account on the Sprint business connect.

I with Docs 2 Go and the movie ap.........I'm down to 3 consistently.
    Get Snappermail...it lets you move emails (with attachments) to SD card automatically.
    I dunno, but after reading the specs on the new treo, vga cam, no wifi etc. my Treo 600 just got a WHOLE lotta more respect.

How can anyone with a Treo 600 and the software and the cases and the adapters etc etc etc etc POSSIBLY justify shelling out a wad of cash for this one????

With 1 GB cards available under 50 bucks.... 23 MB Available

Say the above in your head really slowly a few times and the answer to whether you should upgrade your ground breaking Treo 600 will be crystal clear.
    I think you just made the point for P1. Why have more memory when you can add it later for cheap? Plus, more RAM means shorter battery life, unless if you use flash memory.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast