Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guess you'll be changing your avatar then?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    but ill be damned if ill spend $800 on a minute upgrade like this.
    Short of being starved for RAM, I hardly consider this to be a minute upgrade. To each their own though. I have never owned a Treo, but the 650 answers almost all the reasons why I didn't buy a Treo 600.

You are correct that you have to buy what meets your needs, not just buy because it's new. The Treo 650 is definitely not a one-size-fits-all design. If you don't like it, the smartest thing to do is vote with your wallet and not buy.
    Last edited by alee; 10/24/2004 at 03:54 PM.
    Actually, I am fond of the idea of having removable batteries!
    Quote Originally Posted by pmdied
    So I can open an attachment, whether its an Excel spreadsheet or Word doc while those sub-apps(Word to go, sheet to go, etc) are on the card? What about WP_P2P(176K) and SS_P2P?(222K)? Can they be moved or do they have to stay?
    I've just done a quick test by moving SheetToGo onto the card, and DocumentsToGo opened a native Excel attachment from within Snapper without problem; it just dynamically copies SheetToGo into RAM and deletes it from RAM afterwards as necessary. These other files, and the 300k of fonts, I suspect need to be in RAM.
    I think some of you are missing another HUGE point. With the small memory size, it almost forces us to to go out and spend more money for larger sd cards for a device that's gonna cost almost $800. RAM, in all forms, is cheap. It wouldn't cost P1 much to include more internal memory when RAM prices are dropping every day. Also, if in the near furture the wi-fi card works for the T650, it gonna be a hastle swapping the sd cards and wi-fi cards. I for one keep my sd card in at all times. It's almost like we're losing some of the expandability of this device.
    With the ability to record movies on the 650, more ram is even more critical.
    with the momentum of competition producing FAMILIES of devices at the current rate...ie.. blackberry, motorola, etc, and with palmone taking 1 to 2 years to produce... what.. TWO devices?
    Remember, PLMO has been running the show for LESS THAN A YEAR. Look for them to shift to a twice yearly release schedule like they have with the rest of their lineup. Remember the 600 is a Handspring product. The 650 a (mostly) PLMO product. It's rough switching captains mid-voyage.

The bigger concern would be the spotty record PLMO has with creating cutting edge products. Though they had a winner with the Zire 71 and the Tungsten E, from a what have you done for me lately point of view, they ain't that hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by latca
    exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Remember, PLMO has been running the show for LESS THAN A YEAR. Look for them to shift to a twice yearly release schedule like they have with the rest of their lineup. Remember the 600 is a Handspring product. The 650 a (mostly) PLMO product. It's rough switching captains mid-voyage.

The bigger concern would be the spotty record PLMO has with creating cutting edge products. Though they had a winner with the Zire 71 and the Tungsten E, from a what have you done for me lately point of view, they ain't that hot.
    i can see your point, kurt. youre probably right. its just very frustrating to stomach their pace in product development.
    I am speaking about people who are considering upgrading from a treo 600.

if you have a treo 180, 300 or so, its a perfect time to upgrade. you'd be getting the screen res, memory, processor speed, sd slot, form factor, etc.

you are definitely In position to make a nice transition by upgrading to a treo 650 from a treo 180.

upgrading from a treo 600 does not make sense.

and yes, I may be changing my avatar .
    Some people are saying $800 upgrade, while others $550-600. Is there a disclosed price? For unlocked vs. Sprint?
    exactly
    I thought the specs said that an SD card was necessary for video? (edit: SD is necessary for MP3, jury still out on whether it will write to SD card for Video) I'll double check but I agree it would be nice to have at least 64M on the device but this is not a deal stopper for me.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 10/24/2004 at 05:50 PM. Reason: correction
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by latca
    It depends. If it can write directly to an SD card, it won't matter as much. SD cards are pretty cheap, I picked up a 1GB for $39 (after a $30 rebate) from buy.com. I have tons of apps. installed on my Kyocera 7135, most are running off of the SD card perfectly. There are a few that need to be installed to RAM first (to create the DBs), then move the .prc to the SD card. I still have over 2.5MB of RAM free (out of 16MB) and about 500MB free on the 1GB card.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to see 64MB+ of RAM but it's not a deal breaker for me. I also would have liked WiFi, but I understand why Bluetooth was chosen over WiFi. It would actually be more useful for the end-user than WiFi, here's why:

* Wireless Hotsync to the Desktop
    * Use a wireless headset with the Treo 650
    * Ability for handhelds to communicate without requiring a line-of-site (replacement for IrDA?)
    * Most GPS receivers use Bluetooth rather than WiFi
    * It's possible to connect to the internet via a Bluetooth hub (at a limited 30ft. range)
    * Connectivity to the ThinkOutside BT Keyboard (see my site, 650 will work with it!)

WiFi is great for Airport terminals, Coffee shops, sitting on the sofa at home, etc. However, during those times you could just as easily use the CDMA/GSM radio to make those internet connections (assuming the carrier has a cheap or unlimited data plan). Think about it, that is about all WiFi gives you. Bluetooth carries more "Utility" than WiFi, at least when you really think about it.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  14.    #54  
    The Treo 600 is the GROUNDBREAKING device that turned the industry on its head. The Treo 650 is just a cosmetic modification of the T600.

IF the Treo 650 comes out available UNLOCKED for $499 or less, that is the only price I MIGHT consider for an upgrade from the T600.

There is just too much investment in cradles, adapters and cases to just toss the old Treo aside.

As a clarification, I paid ZERO dollars for the Treo 600. I bought 3 of them at the rebate price and sold 2 on ebay enough to pay for mine and some change. I STILL think the 650 is vastly overrated. The MAIN driver for me would be cost of the unit. Blue tooth is already do-able via the adapter no matter how clunky. Resolution though not great is FINE for normal tasks. The battery, though not removable is GREAT.

The Treo 600 is still very sexy and advanced enough to compete with all the klunkers and bricks out there.
    It is a smartphone design that is actually usable in the highest professional environment.
    I have detailed files.
    i thought everyone know that the price is us$599?
    after the 650 sells for a while, p1 will put one on the market with more memory. we will all have to upgrade again!
    I think you've figured out the plan, Doc! PalmOne wants to keep us shelling out hundreds of bucks for a measly upgrade every year!
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    I've just done a quick test by moving SheetToGo onto the card, and DocumentsToGo opened a native Excel attachment from within Snapper without problem; it just dynamically copies SheetToGo into RAM and deletes it from RAM afterwards as necessary. These other files, and the 300k of fonts, I suspect need to be in RAM.
    Thanks!! That's exactly what I needed to know. Now if we can get reqwireless to run from the card.....
    Why do many people act as if the 600 is going out of style and the 650 should have been the next thing for everyone (that is, that the 650 should clearly move everyone to upgrade)?

I think palmOne is smart in trying to produce mass acceptance devices rather than going for a fully-loaded device that would cost a lot more and get relatively limited customers. Of course more memory would be nice, but I'm managing with an SD card.

For those who find insufficient added value in the 650, you should be happy that your year-old 600 is still a hot device that, IMO, still has no competition out there. palmOne is close to selling 1,000,000 Treo 600s, which is a coup for this class of devices. With the lower prices that are sure to follow, I'm sure it will keep selling for a considerable period of time after the 650 comes out and will attract a lot more buyers.

MANY people thought the 600 was too short on the specs when it came out and look how well it has done. The superior design and integration has won over feature stuffing and complexity. I think P1 is smart for trying to fill the market from the bottom up. A more feature-laden model might follow, but this is a great step, IMO.
    $800 may include accessories you're going to have to buy if you are upgrading.

sure, the tag may be $599, but that's leaving out all the wonderful extra accessories that palmone will no doubt try to cash in on ya with.

I agree that palmone has become just a company that depends on its customers regularly shelling out the dough for minor upgrades.

I now no longer consider p1 to be a cutting edge company, but the turtle in the device market.
    I have been a palmone fan for years, but the last few have not given me anything to feel inspired about.

now when I look at the progress that dell or motorola has made in the last few, I see their rate of product development is much more significant.

im losing confidence in p1. im not ready to jump ship yet, but they give me no reason to believe that they won't be eclipsed by another larger competitor eventually.

usually when you have the lead in the game, you try to keep it that way. their behavior is comparable to a manager going to the bullpen for a pitcher who blows the lead and loses the game.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast