1.    #1  
    Folks, I'm trying to learn. If ALL carriers would carry the 650 on Monday, would there be a reason to consider one carrier over the other? With new technologies, etc. I have an opportunity to switch. I currently have Cingular.

Please accept my thanks in advance. I know this is very basic to many of you. But, some of us are new to the world of TREO.

BTW, I do not have the 600, but will have the 650, ASAP.

Thanks!
    This question will probably not be answered until Monday and the "official" annoucement. It may be that the device is "announced" and will not be available until sometime in November so to say that all carriers will have it on Monday until officially announced would be a WAG.

Since P1 announced the T5 and it took about 2 weeks to actually ship it then the same may be true for the 650. However, P1 can do whatever they want and they could very well surprise all of us.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Sprint data is really cheap. I like it. :-)
    There are rumors that data transfers on sprint will get 10 times faster by the first of the month so thats always a good reason to switch.
    The speed increase you are talking about is EVDO. Sprint is only on the very beginning of the rollout and I thnk it is only in a few large cities. Yes, EVDO will be very fast, BUT the Treo650 will not support EVDO. Also, from what one of the tech guys on this site told me-it is not just a software download to enable EVDO. So it looks like we are out of luck with the 650. Have to wait till the next model is out.
    Forget about CDMA (Sprint,Verizon) and stick with GSM (Cingular and T-Mobile). GSM providers will have EDGE which is faster than 1XRTT.
    T-Mobile Rocks!
    wait, is this "all carriers having the treo 650" hypothetical? did i miss a thread? because i thought people were rumoring that verizon wouldn't have it until like 2099...
    oh, and just to follow up to my own post... i'm a wee bit obsessed about verizon, because it seems like, on the whole, verizon has the best coverage. and that, at the end of the day, is most important. a cool phone is useless unless you can't talk on it.

please, someone prove me wrong that verizon isn't the best phone for the northeast. i need everywhere from princeton to nyc to boston to providence, and if someone can convince me of another service that works in all those places, i won't fight. i just need good service...

what are people's thoughts here?

matt
    That was my theory until about 3 years ago when I got myself a sprint phone to try out because their service was cheaper. I found that in my area (Boston) Sprint's coverage is just as good as Verizon's.
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoWiz
    Forget about CDMA (Sprint,Verizon) and stick with GSM (Cingular and T-Mobile). GSM providers will have EDGE which is faster than 1XRTT.
    T-Mobile Rocks!
    Well, won't Sprint be the only kid on the block with the Treo650? I mean many might not want to wait till 2005 when it allegedly hits TMobile and Cingular. Everytime I see a Treo650 it's a Sprint or from PalmOne, who supposedly isn't releasing them till after the "providers" have done so?

Any new updates on these reports?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Folks, I'm trying to learn. If ALL carriers would carry the 650 on Monday, would there be a reason to consider one carrier over the other? With new technologies, etc. I have an opportunity to switch. I currently have Cingular.

Please accept my thanks in advance. I know this is very basic to many of you. But, some of us are new to the world of TREO.

BTW, I do not have the 600, but will have the 650, ASAP.

Thanks!
    If you want faster data rates, go for Sprint/Verizon

If you want cheaper unlimited data plan, stay w/ Cingular or go to T-mobile

If you want better customer service, go with T-Mobile

but in any case, I'd recommend to avoid AT&T, except if they have better coverage They just have a horrible customer service and they tend to lock their phones. Also their prices are not all that competitive...
    Sprint/Verizon's data plans are faster right now. 1rxtt > GPRS

I am curious to see any conclusive evidence regarding the software upgradibility of treo650 to support EVDO (highly doubtful, but i kinda wanna see someone from P1 say it straight out just so i'll know)

with the above assumption in mind, cingular is rolling out EDGE service which is supposedly a little faster than 1rxtt. The reason why I say that is cuz the spd for the sprint treo600 is at around 85kbps on average (assuming 3 bars, at least that's what i get) while EDGE (at least in its current shape&form) supposedly tops out at 180kbps, which is probably going to be around 100-120kbps on avg.

i am disappointed that sprint's data services are getting a little behind. they were the best shop in town for quite a few years. this is probably what will drive me to buy a GSM treo650 when they come out. in the mean time.. i am still loving my sprint treo600.

Quote Originally Posted by zehubert
    If you want faster data rates, go for Sprint/Verizon

If you want cheaper unlimited data plan, stay w/ Cingular or go to T-mobile

If you want better customer service, go with T-Mobile

but in any case, I'd recommend to avoid AT&T, except if they have better coverage They just have a horrible customer service and they tend to lock their phones. Also their prices are not all that competitive...
    I've travelled all around the Northeast (and the country) and am on the whole satisfied with Sprint's coverage. You can roam onto other networks in a pinch if you need to make a call.
    If you want ev do, than go with verizon. Their roll out is alot more aggressive than sprints
    neither's progressing as fast as we hoped. sprint was going to go w/ EV-DV but is now going w/ EV-DO, verizon's having some major problems w/ their rollout. neither of them will have any significant coverage until end of 05 (that was the latest that i heard)

curious though.. will EV-DO phones be backward compatible? so if we have the EV-DO phone, we can still use 1rxTT?

also.. will EDGE phone be backward compatible as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    If you want ev do, than go with verizon. Their roll out is alot more aggressive than sprints