1.    #1  
    I'm trying to see if I can add a script (or app on my Linux webserver) on one of my websites that will give a SMS interface to send to my Treo 600 on VZW.

Wish list:
    1. a form with fields for the website visitor to fill out (name, return email address, message)
    2. configured for my specific SMS address
    3. the fields have a built in total character counter that counts down from 160 (VZW, ugh!)
    4. and of course, a SEND button

Anyone know of such animal?
    thnx!
  2.    #2  
    Well, after lots of hacking around various scripts, I came up with this solution for one of my sites. I'm not a programmer, rather a hack/script kiddie. Couldn't get the form that sends the SMS message, to have an embedded character counter (I'm on VZW with its 160 character limit), and still have it work. So, I simply added another form field that counts the characters which folks can cut/paste into the SMS message form. Also couldn't get multiple fields, like name, email address & message to send, so have only 1 field for this all.

I wanted only a single file to implement, as oppose to have to call a perl script like formmail.pl. So this is done in PHP using phpmail.php as the original script (deleting some fields that didn't SMS), added a character counter script from another source, then pretty'd up the html output. Everything used is open source or a free script.

Feel free to improve this and post here!

Instructions:
    1. change YOURNAME and YOUR-ID (set for VZW) in the script.
    2. change the character count limit (I have 143 to get all of the message due to the email address from the webserver itself being sent as the originator).
    3. save the file in any simple text editor (though I used UltraEdit-32) as a PHP file.
    4. I saved this script as index.php, and placed it into a subdirectory named "mobile" on one of my sites (of course, the webserver has PHP), so all one had to do is type: "www.mydomain.com/mobile" to get to this page.

***BEGIN SCRIPT BELOW***

<?php
    if ($state == "")
    {
    $title="Send SMS Message";
    $header="Send A Message";
    $announce="Send A Message to YOURNAME's Mobile Phone";
    }
    else
    {
    $title="PhpMail";
    $header="Your Message Sent!";
    $announce="Your message sent.";
    if ($ccText != "") $ccText="cc: $ccText <$ccText>\n";
    if ($bccText != "") $bccText="Bcc: $bccText <$bccText>\n";
    if ($mailformat == "Text") mail($toText, $subjectText, $msgText, "To: $toText <$toText>\n" . "From: $fromText <$fromText>\n" .$ccText.$bccText. "X-Mailer: PHP 4.x");
    if ($mailformat == "Html") mail($toText, $subjectText, $msgText, "To: $toText <$toText>\n" . "From: $fromText <$fromText>\n" .$ccText.$bccText. "MIME-Version: 1.0\n" . "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1");
    }

?>

<html>

<head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <title><?php echo($title)?></title>
    </head>

<body link="#0000ff" alink="#0000ff" vlink="#0000ff" topmargin="10" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" bgcolor="#333333">

<div align="center">
    <center>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="400" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
    <tr>
    <td width="20" bgcolor="#000080">
    &nbsp;
    </td>
    <td>
    <p align="center">

<b><font face="Arial" size="3" color="#000080"><?php echo($announce)?></font><font face="Arial" size="2"><br>
    </font></b>
    <form method="POST" action="<?php echo($PHP_SELF)?>">
    <p><b><font face="Arial" size="2">YOURNAME's mobile:</font><font face="Arial" size="3"><br>
    <input type="text" name="toText" size="13" value="YOUR-ID@vtext.com"></font></b></p>
    <p><b><font face="Arial" size="2">Format:</font><font face="Arial" size="3">
    </font>
    </b>
    <font face="Arial" size="2">Plain Text <input type="radio" name="mailformat" value="Text" checked> </font>
    </p>
    </center>
    <p><font face="Arial" size="2"><b>Your <u>Message</u>, <u> Name</u> &amp; <u> Email</u>
    address </b>(143 character limit)<b>:</b></font></p>
    <p align="left"><font face="Arial" size="2"><b><textarea rows="5" name="msgText" cols="46"></textarea></b></font></p>
    <center>
    <p><font face="Arial" size="2"><b><input type="submit" value="Send" name="send" style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt"></b></font></p>
    <input type="hidden" name="state" value="1">
    </form>

</center>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td width="20" bgcolor="#800000">
    &nbsp;
    </td>
    <td>

<font face="Arial" size="2"><b>Character Counter:<br>
    </b>Type your message, name &amp; email address - then cut/paste into the above message field.<br>
    </font>
    <!--You have permission from Brawley Web Designs
    to use this javascript on your PERSONAL website.
    This permission is granted only if this comment is
    left intact.
    Thank you,
    Brawley Web Designs
    http://www.BrawleyWebDesign.com-->
    <script language="javascript">
    function CharacterCount(field,remaining)
    {
    // This variable (MaxCharacters) sets the maximum characters allowed
    var MaxCharacters = 143;
    if (field.value.length > MaxCharacters)
    {
    field.value = field.value.substring(0, MaxCharacters);
    }
    else
    {
    // This will update remaining characters to be allowed
    remaining.value = MaxCharacters - field.value.length;
    }
    }
    </script>
    <form>
    <TEXTAREA name="Message" cols="46" rows="5" onKeyDown="CharacterCount(this.form.Message,this.form.remaining);" onKeyUp="CharacterCount(this.form.Message,this.form.remaining);"></TEXTAREA>
    <br>
    <INPUT name="ClearMessage" type="reset" value="Reset">
    <font color="#CC0000" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Characters
    Remaining:</font><b>
    <input type="text" name="remaining" value="143" class="textbox" readonly size="1">
    </form>

</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>

</body>
    </html>

***END SCRIPT ABOVE***
    Dude, thanks for posting this.
  4.    #4  
    Thnx! I hope someone revises the above script to something better.
    At least I threw in my $.02 as a seed ...
    so, this is just sending an e-mail to your phone. I thought there was some freeware app/daemon out there that automagically connected you to a SMSC gateway from different carriers and allowed you to send an SMS message, along with an SMS type id. That would be extremely useful.
  6.    #6  
    Yep, that's all it really is, sending email to VZW and having arrive at the T600 as a SMS. I don't have my SnapperMail regularly checking my email ...

I've come across other free apps specifically for SMS and services, mainly for Europe.