Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    anyone using PalmVNC to access a Mac running OS X? I think it will work but yet to find proper instructions. If you have it working can you give me a brief summary of setting.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I haven't gotten it to work. I also tried mVNC and no luck there either. I've read in other places that people are having trouble with VNC clients in general, and that Chicken of the VNC (open source MacOS X client) is the only client working.
    PSSH works well (but you have to know your terminal commands)
  4.    #4  
    well they claim to work. in fact mVNC on www.palmgear.com shows a OS X screenshot in the rotating gif but I can't seem to get the correct settings. also Apple lists PalmVNC as a client that works with Apple Remote Desktop which I also have, but have still been unable to get it to work.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Hrm, I can't get it to work still either. I didn't try before ARD 2.1 came out...perhaps that update has put a kink in things. I'll let you know if I get it working later.
    funny to find this tread. I just started using this combination of OS X 10.3 on my G5 at home (behind cable modem and airport extreme base station) Amazing geek factor to see and control your desktop with this. I use it to start ichat AV isight camera to and see what is going on at home! way cool. Lots of scrolling around since OSXvnc 2 (free) does not support server side scaling (reformatting) so the resolution of your home monitor is what shows up on the treo. Still neat.
    I use the vnc server application OSXvnc 2 on the home mac and palm vnc on the treo 600.
    this will be very cool with the increased resolution on the 650.
    what specific set up questions do you have? It took a bit of trial and error to get the port forwarding etc. set up on my airport and home network.
    hope i can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoperk
    what specific set up questions do you have? It took a bit of trial and error to get the port forwarding etc. set up on my airport and home network.
    hope i can help.
    I can't connect, and would love the help. I have OSXvnc, and palm vnc 2.0, but I cannot configure things correctly so that the palm (treo 600) connects to the OSX Powerbook (on an airport home network with cable modem). I think I'm especially lost on the setup on the powerbook side with firewalls, ports, etc.

Thanks,

Cluemeister
    First open OSXvnc (1.4) and note the IP address in the window (that is the IP address of your computer (powerbook) that you are trying to view.
    click "start server"
    go to Airport Admin. Utility to configure your airprort from your Mac (powerbook)
    click "show summary" on left and note the Public (WAN) IP address. this is the IP address you'll enter into palm vnc on treo
    Click "show all setting" on left
    click "Port Mapping" tab on upper part of window
    Click "add"
    Set "public port" to 5900
    enter 'private IP address as the address you got from the OSXvnc program.
    "private Port" i also set at 5900
    ON palmvnc
    set connection name what ever you want
    IP address from airport admin utility
    display number 0
    assign password whatever your password you set in OSXvnc
    Under advanced tab on palmvnc make sure base port is set to 5900
    enable desktop sharing
    scale 1:1
    Unfortunately OSXvnc does not have server side scaling so lots of clicking on treo.
    good luck!
    JP
    Thanks JP!

Got it up and running. For some reason, it did not let me choose port 5900, so I chose port 5901. Not sure why.

Without the server side scaling, it can be rather tedious, but I could see how it would bail you out in an emergency, i.e. the "If I only had the file on my laptop!" situation. I controlled my computer while my wife watched, and she was like "What's the big deal?" I said, "I could be doing this from 2,000 miles away." Instead of being incredibly amazed, she wanted to know if the whole world now had easy access to my computer.

So the next question is: Is there a vnc software for the mac that has server side scaling, and I'm assuming this will be much more useful when my 650 arrives with its hi-res screen, no?

Thanks again for your step by step instructions!

Cluemeister
    no vnc server (free anyway) that has scaling that I know of. funny, my wife was equally unimpressed!
    I to am trying to figure this out, but with a linksys wireless router. I keep getting a funny i.p on it though, will write more later, so tired my eyes are crossing!!
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    Make sure you are forwarding the ports on the wireless router!
    Okay, here is what I did, my router was acting funny so I reset it, then upon doing so something really weird stated happening. I am now getting an i.p. that is 0.1.255.x ? What in the world? I try to go in and hard coat the ip for the linksys BEFW11S4....go back to setup and it reverted right back. I have tinkered with this thing...grrr.
    I went in and was opening port 5900-5902. still NOTHING. I have tried looking into the documentation for both the palm VNC and my OSXVnc, and quite frankly have noticed in those it seems to be pretty cut and dry. That said, I come to wonder if I am over thinking the whole issue. I do find the linksys behaving like this to be quite interesting and frustrating!
    I tried to follow treoperk's instructions, replacing the airport base and interpreting it to the linksys to no avail, anyone have suggestions? It just feels like I am missing something so simple!

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    Okay, I have port forwarding set to 5900 to 5902 on my linsys, I have Palm VNC set up just the way treoperk said, password protected it and have my ip address from osxvnc in there, immediatly upon hitting connect on palmvnc I receive this:

Opening network...skipped
    connecting to 0.1.225.101:5900
    ConnectToTcpAddr:cannot connect
    Unable to connect to "0.1.225.101":5900
    ERROR:cannot connect to 0.1.225.101:5900

GEESH! My PB firewall is not on, as a precaution though I did add those ports into the firewall section on the PB.
    Suggestions?

I figured it out!! with the help of this article:
    Once you've setup this "port forwarding" for VNC (it uses TCP port 5900 for
    the data connection), you can test it out. Startup your VNC Server, and
    open a web-browser on that PC, and connect it to:

http://www.GoToMyVNC.com

That scan will show you what your external IP address is at that instant,
    and if it can connect, then a VNC Viewer can connect as well.

ON a hunch I entered that i.p. address, what do ya know, I am on!!!! That is the coolest thing since sliced bread!!!!
    Next ? though, what is up with the resolution? can I shrink the desktop view to fit the treo view?

Timbuktu will do this server scaling, correct?

Hmm, I've tried both methods and now get the error message

Connecting to 84.9.xxx.51:5900...
    Network connected
    read failed (Err=0x1212)
    ERROR: cannot initialize 84.9.xxx.51:5900
    Connection closed

Anyone know what Err=0x1212 is?
    There's nothing in my OSXvnc log either...
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_lady
    I figured it out!! with the help of this article:
    Once you've setup this "port forwarding" for VNC (it uses TCP port 5900 for
    the data connection), you can test it out. Startup your VNC Server, and
    open a web-browser on that PC, and connect it to:

http://www.GoToMyVNC.com

That scan will show you what your external IP address is at that instant,
    and if it can connect, then a VNC Viewer can connect as well.

ON a hunch I entered that i.p. address, what do ya know, I am on!!!! That is the coolest thing since sliced bread!!!!
    Next ? though, what is up with the resolution? can I shrink the desktop view to fit the treo view?
    I am a little confused as you were able to set your linksys port forwarding to 5900 which means you got to the linksys admin page. There under the Status tab you should see the WAN IP address (that's the second IP address on the page). This IP address should be the same one you found using www.GoToMyVNC.com. If it is not, I would be curious as to know why this might be, if you know.
    To me, initialize would mean maybe something to do with connnection method?? (BIG guess) Are you connected to vision at the time? That is what I am doing. I pretty much have mine set to always on through my verichat, etc. I am really at a loss otherwise.
    Johnbdh, on my status tab here is what I have(the internet i.p. address IS what I am using)
    Firmware Version:
    1.50.14, May 27 2004
    MAC Address:
    00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    Internet
    Configuration Type
    Login Type:
    DHCP
    Internet IP Address:
    XX.XX.XXX.XX
    Subnet Mask:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
    Default Gateway:
    xx.xx.xxx.x
    DNS 1:
    65.xx.xxx.xx
    DNS 2:
    65.xx.xxx.xx
    DNS 3:
    I am no expert by any means, this was just something I decided I wanted to figure out last night.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast