Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I got this message from GoToMyVNC.com
    Checking you out at IP address "193.xx.227.182"...

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 0.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 1.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 2.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 3.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 4.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 5.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 6.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 7.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 8.

193.xx.227.182 is not responding on Display 9.

Scan of "193.xx.227.182" is complete.

Is this correct....
    Correct, but display 0 is not open, have you done your port forwarding in the router?
    Law school is a 3 year exersize in mind control--Thomas Newcomb

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    that would tell me the port range of 5900-5902 is not open and assigned to that i.p. or enabled.

N400(P.O.S. )-->S.E. T608-->Treo 650-->moto rzr-->xv6700-->pn-820 but I really miss my Treo!!
    I've got it going over bluetooth with the 650. See the Mac on the 650! But what I would really like is a VNC "server" for the palm. Can't find one. It would be very useful to see the 650 on the mac and run it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_lady
    To me, initialize would mean maybe something to do with connnection method?? (BIG guess) Are you connected to vision at the time? That is what I am doing. I pretty much have mine set to always on through my verichat, etc. I am really at a loss otherwise.
    Johnbdh, on my status tab here is what I have(the internet i.p. address IS what I am using)
    Firmware Version:
    1.50.14, May 27 2004
    MAC Address:
    00-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    Internet
    Configuration Type
    Login Type:
    DHCP
    Internet IP Address:
    XX.XX.XXX.XX
    Subnet Mask:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
    Default Gateway:
    xx.xx.xxx.x
    DNS 1:
    65.xx.xxx.xx
    DNS 2:
    65.xx.xxx.xx
    DNS 3:
    I am no expert by any means, this was just something I decided I wanted to figure out last night.
    Just for my education can someone tell me why Mac_Lady gets the Xs instead of the numbers? Does this have something to do with her ISP? I have never seen this before.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    Just for my education can someone tell me why Mac_Lady gets the Xs instead of the numbers? Does this have something to do with her ISP? I have never seen this before.
    It's called OS X for a reason!

Seriously though, I think the X's are just so the general public doesn't have all of the IP numbers and the MAC address.
    PS- If you look at the sourceforge page for OSXVNC (the server program) you will see that Server Side Scaling is currently in beta testing, so hopefully we will see it implemented soon.
    I hope so to! Its a real PIA to have to scroll around...but I can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by maswell
    It's called OS X for a reason!

Seriously though, I think the X's are just so the general public doesn't have all of the IP numbers and the MAC address.
    Are you saying she replaced the numbers in her post with the Xs? If so, then the Internet IP address she had there should have been the one she needed to use without having to go to that address she posted to find it.

If you mean the her ISP is somehow doing something so her router doesn't display the numbers, then I am wondering how they do it. My Linksys router does not display xxxxxs.
    Johnbdh,
    Yes I replaced those numbers with x's for retaining privacy. Yes indeed the internet ip address is the one you wish to use, or just simply type in an internet explorer or safari (really whatever browser you use) the address of www.gotomyvnc.com and the i.p. it runs the testing on is the i.p you need to use in your setup of palm vnc. That said, you must also have your port forwaring done within the router setup, in mine its listed under "applications and gaming" I simply put in the program name, like VNC and choose ports 5900-5902 and then put in the i.p. address of the machine (as the router has assisgned each machine its own ip) I want the VNC request routed to ......then tick "enable" and save my settings.

I have been easlily able to display the mac on the 650. Not a problem. Very easy with a VNC server on the Mac and the client on the 650 over bluetooth. I would be happy to share details.

I haven't worked through VPN yet via PCSVision or reverse DUNs.
    Ti-maniac,
    I would be quite interested in the vnc over the bluetooth.

I know this is off topic but for all you VPN intrest folks. Have any of you tried elgato software's eyetv products www.elgato.com ? very cool. I have been bummed i couldn't get live tv at my office mac (no cable at the office). The newest version of cytv http://www.lucid-cake.net/cytv/index_en.html (a streaming server used to stream eyetv content over your local network) now supports streaming over the internet! And it is FREE! I know it's total geekville but how cool to have headline news streaming on my imac at the office from my home mac. it is easy to control and set up with osXvnc even if you forget to start the server before you leave the house (see, i knew i'd be able to get back on topic somehow) no I don't have any affiliation with elgato or cytv. i just think they are cool products.
    Question: Anyone try the beta version of osXvnc with server side scaling? can you get it?
    The other reason this internet streaming option is of interest is that you can choose the compression of the stream on the client side. So......with reports of people streaming audio on the 650 (i have a 600) at speeds of almost 100kbps, why not be able to stream video at low kbps. due to bandwidth constraints at work i have the stream at 90 kbps(audio + video). 176x120 pixels. totally reasonable, but not great quality. Someone smarter than me needs to write a palm OS client for capturing this video stream. come to think of this i think i'll post this on the multimedia board as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_lady
    Ti-maniac,
    I would be quite interested in the vnc over the bluetooth.
    I tried all the scripts, and finally purchased Missing Sync. It works great and is worth the money if you really want to do this and I did. It has a great built in guide how to configure all the connection settings as well as the app to do the final connect. You can find it here:

http://store.markspace.com/

I did get close though with the bluetooth to internet utility by GooseSoft which doesn't seem to be working at the moment:

http://bluetooth.webhop.org/

You will need the vnc client for the palm which you can find here for MAC:

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

and you will need a vnc server on the mac which you can find here:

http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html#download

Install the server on the mac, the client on the palm, run the markspace software and follow the onscreen guide in the help menu. After you properly configure all of the BT prefs, at both end, establish a connection on from the 650 off you go.

Remember though that Blazer on the 650 will not work over this. It has some kind of proxy brain damage. Emails, and other browsers are fine.
    Ti-Maniac,
    thanks for all the information, right now my linksys has decided to have a firmware blurp, and may need to go in for a RMA...would appear the firmware is hosed/and or not applying properly. SO my plans here are on hold for right now, till the linksys gets fixed. It is not opening ports or anything proper, weirdest thing I have ever seen. I am about ready to take it to the garage and let it meet my sledge hammer! Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    ]
    Remember though that Blazer on the 650 will not work over this. It has some kind of proxy brain damage. Emails, and other browsers are fine.
    Actually, thats only the blazer for Sprint. They have a built in proxy for the Vision service.
    With some tweaking and fussing, I got PalmVNC up and working great. I discovered that if you are running Remote Desktop, you have to work around it, since it uses port 5900.
    I tried using remote desktop, but I think I managed to only get myself confused, and frustrated and gave up. I have stuck with Palm VNC and OSXVnc and even though the scaling is missing...I still like it. Really freaks my family out, both my sisters are M$ users, and quite clueless, bless their hearts. SO I installed a WINVnc on theirs, sat at my house and controlled their puters....They freaked, quite a laugh for me though!!! I know, I really must get out more!! :-P

I have had mixed results with OSXVnc and Palm VNC. It seems to stop working after a few minutes, requiring a relaunch on the Palm to get it going again. Also, I have noted that with BT it has very limited range, about 10-15 feet. Has anyone else made these observations. It makes the utility somewhat useless. I was hoping to operate things like DVD Player on the mac remotely and having its Controller on the Palm but it craps out after a few minutes.
    Last edited by Ti-maniac; 01/24/2005 at 10:58 PM. Reason: typo - changed start to stop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast