1.    #1  
    How many of you folks are happy with your GSM branded Treo's? If you're in a position to upgrade to the Treo 650, notwithstanding your service contract obligations, would you stick with GSM or move to CDMA?

Volumes have been written (ad nauseum) about CDMA Treo battery drain and constant data connection woes. Additionally, there's the simultaneous voice/data transmission that GSM versions can sustain. Is this true or not? I've hear conflicting explanations here.

I think I might take the plunge and move to GSM. Now I've got to decide between carriers, right? LOL. There's ATT/Cingular and T-Mobile. I'm in NYC and travel about in the metro area (5 boroughs + L.I.). How do your Treos do in these areas.

While it *seems* like many folks are moving the other way - GSM-->CDMA, I find there to be quite a few benefits to GSM. But I wonder about the future of the technology...here it the states.
    i will stick with gsm if i get get an unlocked one soon after the cdma. if i have to wait long, i'm willing to break my contract and jump to sprint.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think I'd wait a bit until the 650 is out in people's hands before making a switch. (just in case it sucks or something)
    Nevertheless, I'm a CDMA fan but I would always argue that you should stick with what works best for you. If you're happy with GSM then don't switch, and vice-versa.

Also, just to clear things up a bit - the GSM Treo can't do voice and data simultaneously, despite the legions of uninformed posts here that say otherwise. They do seem to "drop" the connection quicker, however, which may give the impression that it can do both at the same time.
    Also, the constant network chattering seems to be mainly a Verizon issue, not necessarily a CDMA one.
    I use GSM because T-Mobile has a price and coverage plan I like.
    i will stick with GSM because I need to be able to switch phone easily on my TMO account. Plus, it is nicer to use pre-paid sim card when I travel to different countries.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for yoru responses fellas. I think I will go ahead and try out an unlocked GSM Treo 650 (wishful thinking, I know).

Besides, I really like the ability to keep a "small," no frills, hip cell phone for going out on the town, clubbing, etc. This is, of course, all made possible by a quick SIM card swap.

While CDMA is a technological advancement over GSM, it is still far from being ubiquitous and perfect.