Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was waiting for the 650 on sprint, but after i read some reviews on the MDAIII I might switch to that instead. More memory, wifi, bluetooth, built in outlook, word, excel, windows media player. Faster processor, bigger screen. Its a little bigger, but overall sounds pretty good. The only thing were the treo seems to have an advantage is the 1.3mp camera vs the VGA with the MDAIII, anyone else have any opinions? And as much as I like my palm pilot, having a windows OS is nice because its what I use everyday on my computer.
    The windows OS has not had good reviews from some people, although I have never played with it too much. The folks that don't like it say it is too complicated for a smartphone or PDA type device, takes too many steps to do things that are very simple with Palm. Also some folks have said that the apps dont work nearly as well or as easily as the palm apps do. But that is obviously mostly a personal preference type of thing. I would like to play with one of these things if nothing else, to see if the keyboard is usable, not sure the flat keypad would work for me.

If you are sticking with Sprint, be aware that the unlimited data plan is significanly more expensive with the windows OS phones than with the Palm OS phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    If you are sticking with Sprint, be aware that the unlimited data plan is significanly more expensive with the windows OS phones than with the Palm OS phones.
    Now that's my deal breaker right there!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I was planning to get a 650 but during the wait I've finally changed my mind. For me, the fact that the PDA2K is already available SIM free, and will very soon be available on Orange for quite a cheap price (£150 with a 12 month contract), and it has wifi built in means it's looking preferable to the 650. I've not been very impressed with the HotSync software, ok it works but it's pretty basic and limiting. If I'm going to buy the Missing Sync I might as well get a Pocket PC.

I'm actually interested in a change to Pocket PC for 'changes sake'. I'm a dedicated mac user, so it will feel liberating to actually move freely move between smartphone OS's depending on which appears the best at the time. I think that a slide out keyboard is a very innovative feature - something that impressed me with the Siemens SL55 and SL65, and it surprises me when phones come out like the SE S700 with that awkward rotating thing. I'm sure I'd drop the thing trying to rotate it open. Something the size of the JAM with a sliding keyboard would be my dream smartphone.

I'm keeping a regular check on TreoCentral just in case there are any last minute surprises. If when they announce the Treo 650 they say clearly that it will work with the wifi card then I will think carefully, but even then I think I'd quite like a change anyway.
  5.    #5  

That might be a deal breaker, why is it more expensive with windows OS phones?
    And how much much more expensive?
    Depending on what deal you are getting right now on Vision, it is anywhere from an extra $15 to an extra $30 per month.

From the Sprint site dealing with The Professional Vision Pack

"Customers who purchase a Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device that uses the Microsoft® Pocket PC operating system will need to add this pack for a total of $30 per month."

\Apparantly the rationale is that the windows OS users will be bigger users of internet/data than the palm types. Streaming audio, big downloads and so forth.

Wonder if the 32mb limit on the 650 has anything to do with this as well? Perhaps that was a requirement to keep the 650 on the cheaper data plan.
    Last edited by midmofan; 10/22/2004 at 04:25 PM.
    Could you post a link to this info because i've never heard this before and could not find it anywhere on Sprint's site.
    Click on the URL below and then click on the "Sprint PCS Vision Pack" link on the page it takes you to, then scroll down to the professional vision pack in the window that pops up. You can get to this from the sprintpcs front page by going to:

"Services and Features" then
    "Sprint PCS Vision" then
    "learn more"

Interesting that they show a 600 there when you DONT have to pay the extra for a 600 to get vision. I have read reports of some sprint reps trying to charge the extra to 600 users until you show them the fine print and prove that the 600 is NOT a Microsoft OS device.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...hatIsPcsVision
    Last edited by midmofan; 10/22/2004 at 04:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Depending on what deal you are getting right now on Vision, it is anywhere from an extra $15 to an extra $30 per month.

From the Sprint site dealing with The Professional Vision Pack

"Customers who purchase a Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device that uses the Microsoft® Pocket PC operating system will need to add this pack for a total of $30 per month."

\Apparantly the rationale is that the windows OS users will be bigger users of internet/data than the palm types. Streaming audio, big downloads and so forth.

Wonder if the 32mb limit on the 650 has anything to do with this as well? Perhaps that was a requirement to keep the 650 on the cheaper data plan.
    From what I read, if you already have unlimited Vision with your Treo, you will be grandfathered and not charged the increased PocketPC rate. If a Sprint CS person wants you to pay the PocketPC rate, hang up and call back until you get one that knows better. Of course, this is just what has been said on the boards (mostly HoFo), so YMMV.
    Jeff
    There are two different issues. One is the "grandfathered" rate some people have on Vision (free, $5, $10).

The second issue is the extra charge for ppc devices. This is an additional charge for having this type of phone and, therefore, it is not a "grandfathering" situation. I have been told by Sprint reps that if you switch from a palm to a ppc phone, you are supposed to get billed the additional amount.

Thats not saying you couldnt find a supervisor that will waive this for you if you are persuasive, its certainly worth a try. But the normal proceedure seems to be to charge you. (Sprint, charging more when the get the chance? hard to believe, isn't it!!!!)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    There are two different issues. One is the "grandfathered" rate some people have on Vision (free, $5, $10).

The second issue is the extra charge for ppc devices. This is an additional charge for having this type of phone and, therefore, it is not a "grandfathering" situation. I have been told by Sprint reps that if you switch from a palm to a ppc phone, you are supposed to get billed the additional amount.

Thats not saying you couldnt find a supervisor that will waive this for you if you are persuasive, its certainly worth a try. But the normal proceedure seems to be to charge you. (Sprint, charging more when the get the chance? hard to believe, isn't it!!!!)
    No! I am not talking about the grandfathered rate increase in Vision from way back. I am talking about people going from a Palm OS device to a PocketPC device. If you read my post, I think the point is clear.
    Jeff
    Yes I understand your point. But "grandfathering" refers to getting the same service for the same price you have in the past even though the prices have since gone up. In Sprint's view, this is not the same service, it is a different service (call it 'enhanced' vision if you will) so "grandfathering" is not really a proper way to describe it and is likely to confuse people that have had real grandfathering issues with sprint.

Going from Palm to PPC, in sprints view anyway, is not keeping your old service, it is adding a new service and they are SUPPOSED to charge you the extra PPC charge even if you used to have a plam device. I have asked specifically about this and was told that, regardless of your old plan or old phone, if you get a PPC device -- even if you are switching from a palm device, you get charged the extra fee.

Again, you may find a Rep that wont do this to you and that's great, but that is how it is supposed to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod178
    I was waiting for the 650 on sprint, but after i read some reviews on the MDAIII I might switch to that instead. More memory, wifi, bluetooth, built in outlook, word, excel, windows media player. Faster processor, bigger screen. Its a little bigger, but overall sounds pretty good. The only thing were the treo seems to have an advantage is the 1.3mp camera vs the VGA with the MDAIII, anyone else have any opinions? And as much as I like my palm pilot, having a windows OS is nice because its what I use everyday on my computer.
    Do you buy a car simply because its specs look better on paper than other cars?
    The extra 15$ only apply's to the business vision, the premium one is unaffected. . . .that is to say there are a lot of hitatchi owers over at the sprint users forum that are only paying 15$ a month.

I like this pdone for the ev-do support and the physically larger screen. ev-do is a big speed boost for data and the physically larger screen would make watching movies all the better better.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    The extra 15$ only apply's to the business vision, the premium one is unaffected. . . .that is to say there are a lot of hitatchi owers over at the sprint users forum that are only paying 15$ a month.
    If you have a Microsoft OS phone, you are SUPPOSED to be required to get the professional pack. Sprint reps do not understand these packs very well though from my own personal experiance, so It certainly would not surprise me if a lot of people get around this "rule"
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara

I like this pdone for the ev-do support and the physically larger screen. ev-do is a big speed boost for data and the physically larger screen would make watching movies all the better better.
    Maybe it was there that I read it, but it appears no one going from PalmOS to a PocketPC device was charged the extra $15. If I get a chance, I will try to find the link to the thread.
    Jeff
    It would be great to get a definitive answer on this issue as it could effect a lot of people. I will be seeing a Sprint Telesales rep tonight and will see if he knows the answer.
    For clarification, the Sprint version of the MDA will NOT have wifi built-in as the GSM devices do.
    here is a link to a discussion of the issue on the sprint users board. Not dispositive, but it looks like I am right as to the way it is supposed to be. PPC=extra $15 charge.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=59279
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast