Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    If you go with the PDA2K that you can buy today, you are getting a GSM phone and it doesn't matter what the Sprint data service will cost you. This is a GPRS-capable device, NOT an EDGE-capable device. The early adopters report that "yeah, but it's really FAST GPRS". Whatever.
    If you want the EV-DO capable phone, I know it is coming to Verizon in the not-too-distant future. I have not heard that it is coming to Sprint. Also, the EV-DO phone does NOT support wi-fi. I wish I knew why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    If you go with the PDA2K that you can buy today, you are getting a GSM phone and it doesn't matter what the Sprint data service will cost you.
    Very True, but a lot of us love the fact that we get very cheap or even free unlimited internet with Sprint. Since my plan is over $100, it costs me nothing to have the unlimited data on my Treo. Thats a deal thats hard to beat. Staying with a palm device that wont cost me an extra $15/mo (like is supposed to happen if I switch to a Microsoft OS device) is most definatly a factor.
  3.    #23  
    Why will the GSM devices have Wifi and sprint wont? That seems like a good way to lose customers.
    The cameraless version should be available through Sprint by next month. As said previously, no wifi.

I have maintained a $10 vision plan through numerous phone changes, including a short period with the old 2032 Thera PPC phone. I was never charged the additional $15. Technically, the CSR should always charge it, but they usually don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod178
    Why will the GSM devices have Wifi and sprint wont? That seems like a good way to lose customers.
    EV-DO is the reason, with it there is no need for wifi.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    EV-DO is the reason, with it there is no need for wifi.
    I would actually disagree with that statement. If I am at a hotspot, I would prefer to use wifi. EV-DO can't compare in speed or low latency. Furthermore, if I am at home, I would prefer to connect directly to my network than pipe through numerous proxy servers and adding potential security loopholes. My $0.02.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    then buy the sandisk wifi card or the sandisk wifi + 256 combo. then you will have evdo, wifi. at least we know the SD wifi card works on pda2k.
  8.    #28  
    from what i understoof, ev-do isnt really due out for a while though correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    then buy the sandisk wifi card or the sandisk wifi + 256 combo. then you will have evdo, wifi. at least we know the SD wifi card works on pda2k.
    That's another $100+ on top of a $649 device and the combo SD wifi card sticks out about an inch. Not really an acceptable solution, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    evdo is out in select cities, and where it isnt available or out of evdo range, it falls back to normal 1xrtt speeds, so for instance, if you were on sprint's network (since i am unsure of when verizon will have their version of the this phone/pda out) and using the evdo speeds and you were traveling about and went out of the evdo network range, it would automatically set you back to originally sprint speeds of 1xrtt
    I have had a T600 for 3 months now. Got sick of waiting for the 650, so my PDA2K arrived a few days ago. I am really torn at this point as to which I like better, the PDA2K or what I think the 650 will be like compared to my 600. The PDA2k is a little larger and some things on PPC do take a few more steps, but on the other hand, the WiFi is awesome, screen is huge compared to the treo, apps are great, bluetooth, I added MS Voice command which is very nice. So far, I would say that if you use the phone more, get the T650 and if you use the PDA more, get the PDA2k. I love the size of the treo. By the way, the PDA2k keyboard is way better than I thought it would be. the keys have raised bumps in the middle and I can use it quite faster than the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Now that's my deal breaker right there!
    A deal breaker for Sprint, actually. That is, another reason to stay away from Sprint.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    At first, I was torn between MDA III & the 650 as well. However, MDA III has 240x320, and the 650 has 320x320. 650 has more real estate (whenever software takes advantage of it).
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Probably because Sprint and Verizon do not have wi-fi/hot-spot services to offer.
    BTW, EV-DO may be superior (if/when it comes to your town) to current GSM/GPRS, but it does not compare to wi-fi speeds.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    <snip>... The only thing were the treo seems to have an advantage is the 1.3mp camera vs the VGA with the MDAIII... <snip>
    Not so sure about the 1.3Mp camera on the Treo 650. According to this thread/specs. (or click my link below), the camera may actually be VGA . Of course, we'll have to wait for the actual product release to be 100% sure. Until then, anything can change or be deemed inaccurate.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Probably because Sprint and Verizon do not have wi-fi/hot-spot services to offer.
    BTW, EV-DO may be superior (if/when it comes to your town) to current GSM/GPRS, but it does not compare to wi-fi speeds.
    1xRTT is already much faster than current GPRS. Also, Verizon is the largest wifi hotspot provider in NYC.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    At first, I was torn between MDA III & the 650 as well. However, MDA III has 240x320, and the 650 has 320x320. 650 has more real estate (whenever software takes advantage of it).

More Real Estate???
    quote from a review of the p600 vs mdaIII, granted it is a t600 not the 650 but size is size.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707
    "Pda2k is 100x better. First of all its faster (not just the CPU but the GPRS). For some reason the GPRS is so much faster on the pda2k than the Treo. The graphics are soooo much better and easier to read because of the big screen. Having more colors really helps with the fonts and shading to make the experience more friendly. In addition, the email looks much more like traditional outlook making the learning curve much faster."
    Last edited by g.711; 10/24/2004 at 06:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If I hadn't already bought the Imate PPC (MDA II) which I am happy with, I would get the Imate Jam, it is smaller than the MDA II + III, it is faster - Bulverde 416Mhz, it has a 1.3MP camera, it is cheaper (the link is in Aussie Dollars, $1,399 for the PDA2k or $999 for the Jam), Bluetooth version 1.2....

http://www.ow.com.au/default.cfm?pag...imate_Main.htm
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    i heard that from a sprint rep also. but im not sure if it is true, i heard it also applied to the treo 600, but its only 15 a month.

on to the subject...
    i like the 650 over the mda3. many are complaining about wi-fi, but there are wifi sd cards, and now even wi-fi/memory combo cards so you can have it all simultaneously

Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Depending on what deal you are getting right now on Vision, it is anywhere from an extra $15 to an extra $30 per month.

From the Sprint site dealing with The Professional Vision Pack

"Customers who purchase a Sprint PCS Vision Smart Device that uses the Microsoft® Pocket PC operating system will need to add this pack for a total of $30 per month."

\Apparantly the rationale is that the windows OS users will be bigger users of internet/data than the palm types. Streaming audio, big downloads and so forth.

Wonder if the 32mb limit on the 650 has anything to do with this as well? Perhaps that was a requirement to keep the 650 on the cheaper data plan.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    on to the subject...
    i like the 650 over the mda3. many are complaining about wi-fi, but there are wifi sd cards, and now even wi-fi/memory combo cards so you can have it all simultaneously
    LMAO well these cards don't work with the Treo 600, and there is no guarentee they will work with the Treo 650 either, only time will tell!!!

Actully the combo cards don't work with ANY palmone unit on the market!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast