Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    *his, *you're, *Forum, *Enough, *Enough.
    I see you couldn't resist what I wanted to do.
    Beautiful.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Really? I've been a long-time Sprint Treo (300 to 600) user and just purchased the 7100T and it is anything but junk. It does four critically important things better (in my location) than my Sprint T600 has been able to do:
    1. Make a phone call in Europe and all over the world (not unique to the 7100T)...but a key driver for my switching carriers (quad band)
    2. Make phone calls with incredible good sound quality (I live in Chicago suburbs and Sprint reception is not stellar). In my basement my Sprint phone goes to no signal...My 7100T has 4 bars. I had my first phone call with a client this morning from my car without complaints about bad sound quality (7100T was crisp and clear).. Even with good reception my Sprint T600 sounds tinny.
    3. Connect with my corporate email. We've supported only BB (Notes shop) but I've held out hope that a tcp/ip solution would be supported. I couldn't wait any longer and am shocked at how incredible BB capabilties are and how much energy I've wasted by fighting corp IS over the issue.
    4. Use a wireless head set via Blue Tooth.

The predictive text on the 7100T is amazing, the key size is better (larger) and the high resolution is stunning (in terms of images and text). It is a fabulous phone, great email client, excellent organizer and, frankly, for most everything else I'd rather have a device devoted to the function (camera, ipod, etc.).

I feel like a cloud has been lifted from my head and I no longer need to worry about when my $600 phone will do some very basic things that I need to be more productive in my career and family life. What drove home my need to change was getting off a plane in Heathrow (from the US) late for a client meeting with no time or ability to reach out to my colleagues who would be joining me in the meeting (while holding my useless T600 in my hand).

I'd call the 7100T anything but a total piece of junk (in my opinion after using it for a while)
    Camartin - sounds to me like the problems with your Treo 600 were more related to the fact that you had a CDMA model with Sprint PCS service, rather than with the Treo hardware itself. A fairer comparison would be between your new T-Mobile 7100T and a T-Mobile Treo 600 (or even better, a Treo 650).
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    What are the chances of Hell freezing over?
    giggle.
    Ask the "Eagles", they ought to know.
    I hope Tmobile has it soon. that will suck if it is forever

Who's the *****? hahah a
    10/10/04 Ebayed my T600 ...
    I want my Treo 650 !!
    Got my unlocked T650 3/31/05
    CNG Unlocked 650 on TMo Network
    The 7100T is the worst blackberry that has been released to date. The scroll wheel is to deeply recessed, the keyboard is hard to use and the predictive text is horrible. The 7100T is a phone with email, it isn't a PDA and it isn't comfortable to use unless you have wrists of iron and serious thumb endurance.

In addition: Blue tooth ONLY works with a headset, you can't sync or use any bluetooth devices with it other then the headset.

Size is very close to the Treo600 but one hand usage is difficult at best due to poor design layout. Screen is pretty standard now, nothing spectactular

Getting to options is often difficult to do and if registration fails you get to call support to get service books sent to you and hope they work (Problem with ALL blackberries)

It is basically an Email device, If you plan on doing anything else with a device do not buy the blackberry and if you plan on doing a lot of email don't buy the blackberry. The Treo600 can be configured to check email every 15 minutes with the default client and can be setup to check them much more often with 3rd part apps. If you purchased the phone to take international then you will run into the lowercase gprs issue, which means you can use phone only and it is a pain to fix, normally involving a lot of praying

Basically after my pretty extensive usage of the BB 7100T I came away completely uniimpressed and a bit disgusted. RIM is getting to far away from their roots and to much into the realm of phones.

Hopefully you never run into any problems with yours. I am just relaying my thoughts on the device
    Good report, Dredly. Thanks for sharing it. I think your dead-on. I'm afraid most people who choose a 7100T will never understand its shortcomings until too late. Many will never know what they're missing compared to the Treo. The other thing to consider, however, is that for many (perhaps most?), the added benefits of the Treo are more than they need. I think this is what T-Mobile is banking on. They see the 7100T as enough of a step by RIM toward the Treo form factor to successfully market this lower-cost device to potential Treo buyers. (IMHO) We'll have to see what happens.
    Warp thats about it. IT is a Low cost "PDA" that is in range with the phones running Symbian. Some of the features on the phone don't even work yet (at least on Tmobile) such as the IM clients, which is one of the big draws to the device.

Like I said though make your own decission. I am biased towards the Treo, i used a 180 and now the 600 so I love the things better then any other device, but the 7100T is a bad move by RIM. The previous RIM (7730 i think) was a move towards a good usable tool, the 7100T is a toy that came out just in time for christmas
    Quote Originally Posted by dtrain13
    Hell has frozen over!!! The Red Sox beat the Yankees!!!!!!!!! Watch out for locusts and sudden tidal waves!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Actaully...pretty good! I live just a few miles from there (Hell, MI) and I can tell you for a fact, it freezes over every winter!
    Good return!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by warpdrive
    Camartin - sounds to me like the problems with your Treo 600 were more related to the fact that you had a CDMA model with Sprint PCS service, rather than with the Treo hardware itself. A fairer comparison would be between your new T-Mobile 7100T and a T-Mobile Treo 600 (or even better, a Treo 650).
    Somewhat. The 600 doesn't have bluetooth (available today) and I can't synch mail using my 600 (based on corporate policy). My situation may be unique but I sure am enjoying the 7100T.
  13.    #33  
    ....bump

Anyone have any info on when the 650 will be avaialble from TMo...or even an unlocked GSM version
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    ....bump

Anyone have any info on when the 650 will be avaialble from TMo...or even an unlocked GSM version
    nope.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    T-mobile's website has the treo 600 down to $399; I remember it at $499 a few weeks ago.
    Just got the following from TMO customer care....
    --------------------
    Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. Currently at this time I have reviewed our information to find
    that the TREO 650 is not listed in the near future and thus we can only ask that you check back from time to time.

If you have any other comments, questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you for choosing T-Mobile.
    --------------------

I already have a GSM Unlocked ordered from Vienna Channels since I was at the Chicago Roadshow... It would still be nice for TMO to support the 650 though. PLMO told me that since TMO doesnt offer it, they won't support it, and since PLMO hasnt released it to TMO, I wont be able to get support from PLMO.. so I'm SOL if I cant figure something out! ---- Not that my problems are ever easy to resolve to begin with =)
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775
    I already have a GSM Unlocked ordered from Vienna Channels since I was at the Chicago Roadshow...
    I'm planning to do the same thing at the Washington, DC Roadshow this Thursday. Do we have a "guess" on when those vienna units will ship? Or does the coupon just guarantee us a discount when the GSM units are released to everyone?
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775
    I... It would still be nice for TMO to support the 650 though. PLMO told me that since TMO doesnt offer it, they won't support it, and since PLMO hasnt released it to TMO, I wont be able to get support from PLMO.. so I'm SOL if I cant figure something out! ---- Not that my problems are ever easy to resolve to begin with =)
    I just talked with a TMo CSR. She didn't have any solid info on them carrying the 650, but did say..."We've carried all the other Treo's. I expect we will carry this one too." I asked what would happen if they didn't and I bought an unlocked GSM 650 from palmOne. She said they support ANY GSM phones, whether they sell them or not. So I will buy the first available unlocked GSM version...whether that be from palmOne or Cingular or ATT...and then use it on TMo.

She also confirmed the EDGE roll out will be nation wide with TMo...sometime after the first of the year. (first quarter)
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    They will ship in 6 to 9 weeks according to an email I got from Jeff at Vienna Channels yesterday.
    When I have purchased phones that T-mobile didn't sell, their data techs have been very accomodating in trying to help me get one feature or another to work. I think view selling phones as a necessary evil and would be delighted if everyone obtained their phones elsewhere.

J
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12