Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I'm switching over from a PC to a Mac. I have been using pdaNet to get an Internet connection on my laptop from my Treo. Is anyone aware of a similar program for the OS X?

    I don't want to keep taking my PC laptop on road ... I want my 17in Powerbook
  2. #2  
    I haven't done it in OS/X but Linux is VERY nice! the uvisor driver allows you to use it as a modem and just use ppp once you put the Palm in TETHERED mode (##TETHERED for Sprint, #*TETHERED for GSM .. which is 83843733)

    That is a place to start at least! I wish we could do that on Windows, but nobody has figured it out, to the best of my knowledge =)

    Here is another place to look, This Link has a few links that might be useful.
  3. #3  
    Wireless Modem is needed, as far as I can tell, to install a USB driver for the Treo to be used as a modem with a Macintosh. It works pretty well, but on this forum you will find people who say it kicks them off the network after a few minutes frequently. I've found it to be quite slow, don't know why, because others say it works at faster than dialup speeds.
  4.    #4  
    I can get 145 kbs from the Treo in Windows XP. The connection is a little strange. Viewing pages and email works fairly well but big downloads flakes.

    Thanks for the links. If they have it in Linux I may be able to port it to OS X.
  5. gcs
    gcs is offline
    gcs's Avatar
    Posts
    84 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dshills
    I'm switching over from a PC to a Mac. I have been using pdaNet to get an Internet connection on my laptop from my Treo. Is anyone aware of a similar program for the OS X?

    I don't want to keep taking my PC laptop on road ... I want my 17in Powerbook
    Here you go:
    http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/
    No porting needed, OSX version on the site...

    Have fun!

    George
  6.    #6  
    Terible setup and but I did get the wirelessModem running... Thanks for the heads up!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dshills
    Terible setup and but I did get the wirelessModem running... Thanks for the heads up!
    Glad you got it working. What model of Treo do you have? I just got the Treo 700 and really would-like/need to get internet on my laptop PowerBook from my Treo. What options are there for a 700. DUN(DIALUPNETWORKING) is not an option as of yet on the Treo 700 so I have heard. Any ideas on that?

    Also, I have not found a software that will let me sync with my MAC. The Missing Sync is working on it but nothing available yet. Any thoughts on this?
  8. #8  
    Shout out to Mackers.......

    I'm also thinking about taking the Mac plunge and hate the thought of giving up Pdanet, tell me Wirelessmodem is not slow and doesn't really cut you off as noted here.

    It's just hard to belive that a Mac would not be as operative in this regard.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Shout out to Mackers.......

    I'm also thinking about taking the Mac plunge and hate the thought of giving up Pdanet, tell me Wirelessmodem is not slow and doesn't really cut you off as noted here.

    It's just hard to belive that a Mac would not be as operative in this regard.
    GeekyMom and those others above, why dont you just use the instructions provided in these threads. that way you do not have to buy wirelessmodem.

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&page=3&pp=20

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=113956

    As far as Macs not being operative in this regard, that is nonsense. I can bluetooth tether my Mac and Treo whenever I want by the above method just fine. Setup takes a little time (maybe 30 minutes), but once set up, it is easy and fast to use.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/25/2006 at 04:39 PM.
  10. #10  
    Note: It may be the case that the Treo 700p will not work with the Mac Treo 650 instructions in the above threads. In fact, its rumored that the wireless providers will try to soak you for more money to use bluetooth/DUN on the 700p. As users start to acquire these new units, I am sure we will hear about whether this is really true. At any rate, if this is true, this could be a reason not to upgrade from 650 to 700p.
  11. #11  
    I have a MacBook and just bought a treo 650 with Cingular.
    The Wireless modem website said they have no intention of support the intel macs.
    Does anyone have any idea how I can use my treo 650 with a MacBook.
    Thanks for the help
  12. aey
    aey is offline
    aey's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pintofguinness
    I have a MacBook and just bought a treo 650 with Cingular.
    The Wireless modem website said they have no intention of support the intel macs.
    Does anyone have any idea how I can use my treo 650 with a MacBook.
    Thanks for the help
    I have MacBook and Treo 650 as well. It's very easy to connect to internet using Treo with OS X (as it is with Linux) and there's no need to buy anything. As cellmatrix said, there are clear instructions in other threads just as this one http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...06&postcount=2 and all over internet. I have unlocked GSM but in any case it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to set up.
  13. #13  
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html
    Worked fine for me in demo mode. Mac 15 inch intel with 10.4

    Bluetooth DUN works fine too without additional software but I did run in to some issues where it would stop working and only a soft reset of the 700p would fix the problem.
  14. #14  
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

    I've been satisfied w/ the operation of this too on my 650 and MacBook pro.

Posting Permissions