Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    My T600 started to die a week or so ago..dropping calls, with a No Service display.

Monday evening I took it to the local Sprint Store and after a slightly longer than normal wait on line, it was deemed as shot...it failed "the test".

I was told a replacement would be in the store on Wednesday, Thursday the latest.

On a chance, I went in this evening and sure enough the replacement was there. In a matter of minutes the service desk had my replacement activated and ready to go.

The best part is that I have done scheduled backups using BackupMan since the day I bought the Treo. When I got home I popped the SD Card in and restored every last application and setting in less than a minute...

Aside from my e-grips that are on their way, I am exactly where I was a week ago! Perfect! A real moment of magic!

I even got an extra 6 months on my warranty which was due to expire early November!

Backups Rule!!!
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
    I had the same experience. One thing different was I used the normal Hotsync - and all aps, all settings came over perfectly.

I was aware of the backup apps and had used one for my previous move to a new one. One day I had to move without a backup tool and it worked just fine.

so for me hotsync worked perfectly for restoring the whole phone...multiple times now.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Yeah. Not to be contrary just for the sake of being contrary, but I don't understand the point of the backup programs. I guess I could think of scenarios in which it'd be nice to be capable of backing up to a card, but other than that...?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoo
    Yeah. Not to be contrary just for the sake of being contrary, but I don't understand the point of the backup programs. I guess I could think of scenarios in which it'd be nice to be capable of backing up to a card, but other than that...?
    Had my 600 replaced a few months ago. The tech was pretty amazed that he could activate my phone, I could pop in my SD card, restore my data and be completely up an running before I left the store.

A good thing to be able to do!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Also, wait until you are on a trip and you get a dreaded (for me, rare) hard reset and you have no access to sync to get up and running.

A full backup only takes up about 35mb on a card, it's cheap insurance.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    The only bane I have against backupman is that it cannot backup the Java run time correctly. Granted this program is ment to be stored in the same location of the OS, not on the volitile memory with our data. But besides that the program is the biggest safety net I own for the Treo

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I have been a Palm user since the Palm Professional. And twice the HotSync has screwed me after a hard reset. Lost everything.
    I now use 2 backup programs. BackupBuddy and Right Back Up. Also BackupBuddy for Windows. I can't afford to lose everything again.......
    I have read the threads about backups - and can certainly see the reasons. So far hotsync has been OK for me.

A significant reason I do not worry too much is I and my company use Goodlink - so all my data is up on the Exchange server. For a new Treo, I install GOdlink and then all contacts, calendar, notes, tasks come down automatically.

The worst case for me is I lose my preferences. So far this has not happened at all - I was pleasantly surprised.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I can speak from bitter, miserable experience on this one. Get a backup program- I'm still deciding which one. Two months ago, my computer died- the hard drive was *rattling*... not a good sign. I was mad, but not devastated, because I had the most important stuff on my treo 270 (just got the 600 this week).Then, my 270 crashed and needed a hard reset, and I lost it all. I cried that night. Fortunately I'd used intellisync to back up my contacts and calendar to my yahoo, and I was able to get those back. Everything else? History...
    Sorry to hear it - bummer. The whole area od digital asset backups is a mess - there are lots of programs to do it but most people do noting. I have a 4 drive RAID array for my home machine (RAID 0+1) but think about what happens if the house burns.

There are some research projects on distributed redundant filesystems on the inetrnet - ultimately one would hope for a secure, redundant filesystem distributed across the net..but the pipes and the security are not there yet
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    My beloved Hubby found this, and likes it (he uses the linux version, I'm going to use windows) if you want to make backups to your gmail account- not sure about security, how it works or anything, but I'll throw it out here anyway.

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm
    Very cool. I did similar things with small files manually with Yahoo. I have been wondering what I will use all that spacew for. Filesize limited to 10 MB based on google limit. Still very very handy though

If the gmail drive does file splitting...now we are talking

I have like 100+ GB of video I would like to protect - only way so far is an external drive or tape drive, etc.