Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    good find
  2. RStall's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    why can the company which makes the mdaIII afford to have the wif, 64mb, etc, while palmone cannot?

    can anyone venture a guess?

    mine is battery life. maybe palmone wants their customers to regard their smartphone as one with longer battery life, which they think will be the selling point of the treo 650.

    I have to agree that the mda III is a formidable competitor, but the problem with the mdaIII, like ALL ppcs - ITS FORM FACTOR.

    too big. I've said it before. ppcs win BIG in the feature category, but lose BIG in the form factor category.

    if ppcs can produce all those features in a pocketable phone -ie blackberry or treo 650 - they win.

    until then, its still the treo 650 for me. gotta be able to pocket that smarty in a hurry if its gonna be a winner, otherwise, you're trying to cram and jam a brick or a slate into your pockets - doesn't work.

    the sleekness variable is a lesson the ppcs are slow to learn, just as palmone is slow to learn the features lesson.

    both are slow learners. when will one of the two make the necessary evolutionary jump?
    im a windows mobile supporter. i thought about the mda 3 but i think the biggest complaint is not the form factor. for a phone to do about as much as my laptop would do, i can deal with the way it looks. but the damn thing is 1000 dollars. too much money. the treo is going to run 599 tops. costing 400 dollars less, i can deal with only having 32 mb of ram. hell you can buy a wifi card...
  3. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #23  
    I think it has so many typos, because he retyped it.
  4. #24  
    well that price tag of $1000, you're right, is WAAAAAYYYY too much money!

    ok its the price first and then the form factor that steer me away from the mda III now.

    no way will I fork over a grand for phone. hell no.

    so ok, there's the reason why palmone doesn't pack the features - COST! period.

    mda III, because of the price, will ONLY attract a minute niche of the market.

    palmone is actually smarter in this sense then, because a $499 device is a reasonable price tag, and will win because it appeals to the majority vs a $1000 brick.

    alright then that question is answered.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    why can the company which makes the mdaIII afford to have the wif, 64mb, etc, while palmone cannot?
    It has 128mb, not 64.

    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I have to agree that the mda III is a formidable competitor, but the problem with the mdaIII, like ALL ppcs - ITS FORM FACTOR.

    too big. I've said it before. ppcs win BIG in the feature category, but lose BIG in the form factor category.

    if ppcs can produce all those features in a pocketable phone -ie blackberry or treo 650 - they win.

    until then, its still the treo 650 for me. gotta be able to pocket that smarty in a hurry if its gonna be a winner, otherwise, you're trying to cram and jam a brick or a slate into your pockets - doesn't work.

    the sleekness variable is a lesson the ppcs are slow to learn, just as palmone is slow to learn the features lesson.
    Take a look at this description and photos, especially the first and third photos as you scroll down, and tell me that the Treo is really that much smaller. (Be sure to notice the screen size comparison in photo 4.) We are talking about millimeters here. To me, it is absolutely no contest whatsoever - I will gladly lose 3 millimeters in my pocket to gain everything I ever asked for in a PDA!!! Check out this link too - it has a good landscape view for you to see, plus a load of more info, screenshots, etc.
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

    "I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RStall
    im a windows mobile supporter. i thought about the mda 3 but i think the biggest complaint is not the form factor. for a phone to do about as much as my laptop would do, i can deal with the way it looks. but the damn thing is 1000 dollars. too much money. the treo is going to run 599 tops. costing 400 dollars less, i can deal with only having 32 mb of ram. hell you can buy a wifi card...
    It will sell for $600 when the carriers have it in the states...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

    "I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    alright then that question is answered.
    No it isn't, take a look at my previous two posts, just above...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

    "I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
  8. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #28  
    omgoodness so much WRONG information sigh i give up
    it's the same price as the 650 will be.
    if you buy it new you get $100-$150 off
    it's selling for $825 right now for an unlocked GSM version
    it will sell for $600 when carriers provide it
    $600 before rebates! sheesh. you people sure do know how to change facts just to suit your purpose.
  9. #29  
    It looks like NO SPRINT READY LINK Service huh???
  10. g.711's Avatar
    Posts
    550 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    #30  
    [QUOTE=treobk214] I have to agree that the mda III is a formidable competitor, but the problem with the mdaIII, like ALL ppcs - ITS FORM FACTOR.

    too big. I've said it before. ppcs win BIG in the feature category, but lose BIG in the form factor category.

    if ppcs can produce all those features in a pocketable phone -ie blackberry or treo 650 - they win.

    until then, its still the treo 650 for me. gotta be able to pocket that smarty in a hurry if its gonna be a winner, otherwise, you're trying to cram and jam a brick or a slate into your pockets - doesn't work.
    /[QUOTE]

    IMO it comes down to what you will use it for i.e. ebook, email, web maybe the larger screen is the ticket. On the other hand if 89% of your use is phone calls, well then a small form factor it what you need.
    I think that is why there is an extra cost added for PPCs
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    It will sell for $600 when the carriers have it in the states...
    Yea right

    Mabie if you sign a 2 year contract and give over your first born.

    If you like it so much, start your own discussion group about it. I believe this TREOcentral not mdaIIIcentral.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    omgoodness so much WRONG information sigh i give up
    it's the same price as the 650 will be.
    if you buy it new you get $100-$150 off
    it's selling for $825 right now for an unlocked GSM version
    it will sell for $600 when carriers provide it
    $600 before rebates! sheesh. you people sure do know how to change facts just to suit your purpose.
    Where do you get your information?

    In Germany you can get it from TMobile for 449,95
    (~$570 us) with a 2yr contract. Without it it is 779,95 (~$984 us). And that is the one without the camera.

    You say that people are giving WRONG information, but where do you get your information?
    Last edited by lazyazz; 10/22/2004 at 09:29 AM.
  13. #33  
    I agree that thing is big. That's why I am not ready to try our very own PDAphone with WiFI just because of that. Can you just imagine how much smaller the Treo can become if they hid the keyboard under a slider?
  14. #34  
    Thanks Chase, excellent information
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
  15. #35  
    Features embedded gps chip for 911 system...any way to make use of that with mapping software. Probably not. At least now we'll hopefully be able to use bluetooth gps. But I'm Verizon anyway, so by the time the 650 comes out for Verizon, enough time will have gone by that the technology will be availbale for me to just put a GPS chip in my brain.
  16. #36  
    Where's the PICTURE? Anyone grabbed it before the webpage dissapeared?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    ...and it would be great if I had a $600 plus smartphone that would have some goddamn ringtones I could hear!!!
    Amen to that!!
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
  18. #38  
    Does anyone else think it is strange the Final Draft specs mention a flash with the camera but mentions nothing about the non-volatile flash memory. Every person that has handled a 650 said there is no flash and the pictures don't show one either. Excuse me for being the skeptic, but I doubt the information provided is acurate. Of course, this could just be my way of not wanting to admit PalmOne only put the same 32mb of ram in the 650 that it did in its first generation device of 15 months ago.
  19. #39  
    It also mentions a "mirror for self portraits." ?!?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raschied
    It also mentions a "mirror for self portraits." ?!?
    Yeah, as shown in this pic (just to right of the camera lens)

    http://mytreo.net/news/archives/treo...o650%20018.jpg
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions