1.    #1  
    hey everybody:
    does anyone know of any current/in the near future verizon phones (palm, pocket pc, whatever) that have a keyboard/ features that can make it functionally compete with the treo? besides blackberry...

thanks
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    this topic has been discussed here but i feel ppl that fear what will be treo 650's best competitor is the PPC coming to cingular/tmobile/verizon/sprint and they have not been talking about it. It's a phone that will be branded under many names (Sprints will be Harrier PPC 6600/6601) and will be available on Sprint by end of month October.

here is a (somewhat biased in my opinion) comparison between the 600 and PPC (imate pda2k) branded in this case. The reason I'm posting this is so that most people who think it is *HUGE* will see that while it's slightly longer, it has a much larger screen (almost 2x the size with resolution 240x320) and when keyboard extended, yes it is longer. if you have been using PalmOS it is a much different OS system (ppc/mobile phone 2kse). I dont think this is a fair comparison per se, because the reviewer is comparing a new phone with a one year outdated phone. He claims to be a treo 600 user although ... somethings tend for me to doubt he ever really liked his 600. i love my treo *even when it resets when i try answering the phone or making a call* but it's an interesting review in the sense of size comparison of phones.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707

the gsm version has wifi included, CDMA has EVDO capability instead.

check out specs of phone at www.clubimate.com

some highlights... 320x240 resolution, 128 mb ram 64 mb rom, bluetooth (on both cdma and gsm) and slide out keyboard. GSM has wifi included, cdma/evdo can use Sandisk 256mb combo WIFI card.

I don't like posting this here because i don't think it's sincerely the necessary forum for it, but in my personal opinion it's the best competition the treo 650 has, and soon to be released at end of this month on sprint. i'm guessing that's why palmone moved up their release date with sprint from early dec to mid nov. the pda2k does have a camera / non camera version just like the 650 (but you should know the camera is NOT megapixel and is more quality like of treo 600's camera)

hope this helps...
    EVDO would be one NICE feature to have...especially for me since I can only afford to upgrade my cell phones every couple of years. Sledgie, do you have any URLs pointing to an end of October release for Sprint? Also, I heard this phone will be close to $1000?
  4.    #4  
    right, but when will it be available for verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSR
    EVDO would be one NICE feature to have...especially for me since I can only afford to upgrade my cell phones every couple of years. Sledgie, do you have any URLs pointing to an end of October release for Sprint? Also, I heard this phone will be close to $1000?

These imate pda2k's are already on sale via e-bay for $800-$850. Couple of companies out of New Jersey
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    98GSR, as with phone releases everything is pointing towards end of oct release, but in the past it has been known to change/delay. Example, sprint has pushed back the HTC Harrier PPC 6600/6601 (camera, non camera version) back when it was supposed to be released late august, then late sept. Now we have people saying they have stock in warehouses and they have sku # for the harrier, so i am starting to believe it.

Price is between 599-699 before rebates (meaning $100-$150 for new users). I'm going to guess it's $599 through sprint but... it could be higher. I can't see myself buying anything higher that $599 because my 18 months is not up with treo, so...

On a side note, DrDoom might have more info on the price for the PPC through sprint, since he has sprint/radio shack prices. Hopefully he'll read this thread and comment.

As for the price being close to $1000 - it's currently between $825-$875 on websites, but that's the UNlocked version of the phone (gsm) meaning what the company (tmobile or cingular) pays in giving you rebates it gains back by a 1-2 year contract.

I haven't been keeping track of the verizon model (i'm a sprint customer) but from threads i've read, they have been testing it so it's already in their very thorough testing phase they put every phone through. I honestly can't even guess at the estimate for verizon but I do know Sprint will be the first one to release this phone, followed by cingular shortly after and t mobile. One of the main reasons i'm looking at this phone is EVDO capable and bluetooth - i dont plan on upgrading for another year or so and i see no reason to buy another phone AFTER the 600 unless it has EVDO. if i buy a 650 in a month, then EVDO becomes available in 6 months from where i am, i still cant take advantage of EVDO at that time. that has to be my #1 disappointment with the 650
    I wouldn't really call that comparison of the Treo600 and PDA2K a head to head comparison. It's more of a, If you're a long time Treo600 user and you're considering moving to a PDA2K, here is my experience with the move.
    So remember that while you're reading his thoughts on the PDA2K.
    Actually, the author wrote that because other Treo600 users were considering that PPC device and they wanted a T600 users perspective on it.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    right. it wasn't really a non biased comparison, as i pointed out. but he originally asked on the PPC board if anyone would be interested in a 600 vs pda2k comparison. lots of ppl chimed in they would like to see it. to be fair, 600 is over 1 year old. 650 vs pda2k is more suitable now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    right. it wasn't really a non biased comparison, as i pointed out. but he originally asked on the PPC board if anyone would be interested in a 600 vs pda2k comparison. lots of ppl chimed in they would like to see it. to be fair, 600 is over 1 year old. 650 vs pda2k is more suitable now.
    650 vs pda2k is not possible now.
    But I think we can agree that "vs" was a bad word for the post's subject.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i concur