1.    #1  
    I frequently use the top button to ignore a phone call or silence an alarm immediately. I use the nutshell case which exposes the top of the treo. With the 650 it looks like I won't be able to ignore a call without taking it out of the case. Wish the left it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mharpen
    I frequently use the top button to ignore a phone call or silence an alarm immediately. I use the nutshell case which exposes the top of the treo. With the 650 it looks like I won't be able to ignore a call without taking it out of the case. Wish the left it.
    Are you sure there is no top button? I didn't look for one but in all the picures I have seen I haven't noticed it missing...?
    I see no top button except the ringer on/off button.
    http://shelly.metachar.net/~codice/t...20Top.jpg.html
    I use TreoGuard and I answer/ignore calls using the side volume buttons which work great!

No need for a top button.
    Great thread!

Even though I won't be getting the T650, I think it was a big mistake that P1 didn't keep the top power button. If P1 is smart, it'll bring it back for a post T650 release (T700?) My right index finger certianly appreciates the top power button.

And besides, I like the idea of having the 4 main buttons to be used for applications. For the T600, my 4 app buttons are phone, calendar, note pad and camera (L to R).

It's gonna be really interesting that P1 decided to have the Power button sharing the same real estate as the phone disconnect button. Hope the P1 engineers fround a way around this...
    I won't miss the power button but I'm still puzzled why there's a physical mute switch, I could see the reason for a physical network on/off switch for when you're in a plane etc. but just don't see the need for the mute one, why not do it via software as most others do?
    I like the physical mute switch. I'm walking into a meeting, I just do a flick of the switch to keep the phone quiet, no need to switch it on, find the Prefs option, select it. Likewise when you want to hear the phone again - simple and quick.

I think something needed doing about the power switch, holding it down to switch the phone off made for an awkward grip; maybe if the side button is a power button it'll be a bit more natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I won't miss the power button but I'm still puzzled why there's a physical mute switch, I could see the reason for a physical network on/off switch for when you're in a plane etc. but just don't see the need for the mute one, why not do it via software as most others do?
    It walys kills me when I am in a meeting and they say to put your phones on mute and then you hear a bumch of loud chirps and beeps from the poor souls that have to go thru 15 sub-menus and such to toggle the 'silent' setting. Meanwhile, I just toggle an easy to asscess button, no beeps no chrips..it's that easy.
    Not to mention that if it make noice becuase I forget to but it in silent mode, I can flip the switch very quickly. Then when you add 'Treo_Off' by quickster, your set (IMHO).

Just my 2-cents worth...Matt
    The mute button to me is one of the best features the treo has. Its easy to switch the button in a meeting without having to go through software to mute the phone. You don't even have to turn the phone on to mute it.
    Yeah the mute switch is definitely a nice feature. I use it all the time it is so quick for silencing a phone call or for simply checking to see the phone is silenced. All I have to do is take a quick glance at the Treo and I know right away if it is silenced or not...
    Noooooooooo!!!!
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    I agree with you guys. You don't even have to pull the phone out and look at your screen and change profile requiring several levels of menu.
    Well.. from the pic's i've seen, it looks like the power was moved to the end button, and I think they wanted to make the Treo more phone like, so having send/end buttons was a very good move.

The mute switch has got to be the most brilliant features on the Treo, some phones are fairly easy to silence, but others (nokia for one) are very anoying to silence.

I don't know how many time's I've been somewhere, and some damn nokia will ring at highest volume setting, disturbing everyone around it.

Makes me want to go watch phonebashing.com
    Strange isn't it, as I said I'm used to Motorolla & Ericsson phones where muting takes 2 key presses, the switch on the treo causes me nothing but trouble as it can catch when I pull my treo from it's case, thankfully 2Day tells me when I've muted it by mistake.
    I don't use the top button except to turn the radio on. You can silence the ringer with the volume buttons on the 600. I guess the issue is an all-engulfing case. I personally wouldn't put a phone in such a case, but that's just my personal taste. I use a Vaja i-Volution case.

I LOVE the mute physical switch.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ

Makes me want to go watch phonebashing.com

I really have a hard time watching stuff like that. It incites a rage within me. If that happened to me I would probably go to jail for manslaughter. Vandalizing someone's property probably pisses me off more than anything in the world.
    I agree I love the mute switch but I will miss the power on/off button as well. It isn't something I'll cry over, if they killed the mute I would be very unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    The silent switch is one of my favorite features! I laugh when I see all the other people picking up their phones and pressing a few buttons to turn off the ringer. Heck, I don't even need to look at it to know it's on mute. I can feel it.
  19.    #19  
    Now that I have the 650, I wanted to let you know that pressing the side volume buttons (or any buttons/keys for that matter), mutes the ringer and turns off the vibrator for an incomming call. However the person calling will not go straight to voicemail, and will have to wait until the forth ring or so before going to voicemail. If you pull out the Treo and tap the "Ingnore" button on the screen, or press the end call/power button, it will go straight to voicemail. Therefore, since I can fairly easily reach the top volume rocker switch on the side while the 650 is in my Nutshell case, I'm not all that disappointed. But I still miss that button on the top of the 600 that would send a call to voicemail and mute the bell or an alarm immediately. I could hit that top button on the 600 so fast that the first ring wouldn't even finish before I was able to turn it off. (in the events when you forget to turn off the speaker beforehand).
    Now that I have the 650, I wanted to let you know that pressing the side volume buttons (or any buttons/keys for that matter), mutes the ringer and turns off the vibrator for an incomming call. However the person calling will not go straight to voicemail, and will have to wait until the forth ring or so before going to voicemail. If you pull out the Treo and tap the "Ingnore" button on the screen, or press the end call/power button, it will go straight to voicemail. Therefore, since I can fairly easily reach the top volume rocker switch on the side while the 650 is in my Nutshell case, I'm not all that disappointed. But I still miss that button on the top of the 600 that would send a call to voicemail and mute the bell or an alarm immediately. I could hit that top button on the 600 so fast that the first ring wouldn't even finish before I was able to turn it off. (in the events when you forget to turn off the speaker beforehand).
    TreoGuard allows you to use either or both of the volume keys to ignore a call and works correctly on the 650.

Geoff
    www.geakware.com or mobile.geakware.com - Software for your Treo 600/650.