Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does anyone know if Sprint's "push-to-talk" system is up and going? If yes, will the Treo 650 work on Sprint's push-to-talk network?
    Roger
    it is going...and according to some threads and websites it will have it...
    sorry but what is "push to talk"? why do people want it?
    Push to talk is a service similar to that pioneered by Nextel. By pushing a button on the side of the phone you can be instantly (well there's some lag) connected to another user - similar to as if you were using a walkie talkie.

The main attraction has been for businesses who want to keep in touch with workers in the field. PTT has been useful because workers can be given the phone and generally the PTT minutes were unlimited -- greatly reducing cell phone bills

Both Sprint and Verizon have recently introduced PTT. They make use of the wireless web (somehow) to send their PTT sessions - which means there is more of an initial lag than Nextel's (whose iDen technology somehow incorporates the PTT sessions natively). Hopefully I've gotten most of the technical jargon right. I think it's substantially correct.

I've used both Nextel and Sprint. The Nextel service is much faster and widespread. One issue with Sprint is not ALL phones have PTT ability - while Nextel does (thus if you are a Nextel subscriber you already have a phone that has the PTT capability).

The biggest issue I had with Sprint's PTT (they call it ReadyLink) is that it travels over their Internet (Vision) connection and I found that sometimes the calls wouldn't setup properly, would error out or have a longer lag time (3 to 5 seconds).

Overall I'd rank Nextel's as professional level PTT and Sprint's as consumer level.

I can't say much about Verizon other than they have it and I've read articles that there have been problems with lags there - to a greater extent than Sprint.
    I've heard that Sprints Readylink has initial lag with connection but its pretty good once its connected. Also remember that Sanyo has an exclusive on offering Readylink phones through the end of the year.
    The treo 650 I saw did not have push to talk. the third side button is user conigurable.
    The audio quality on ReadyLink is superior to Nextel. The lag time (while short at 2-4 seconds) becomes annoying. And the connection on my phone was fairly unreliable. For now Sprint's version is strictly a consumer toy.
    i dont think there will be ReadyLink on it........but if it is........YEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
    Sprints employees only get 15% off of products at FULL PRICE while customer get instant savings and rebates, so who's really getting screwed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxboro
    I've heard that Sprints Readylink has initial lag with connection but its pretty good once its connected. Also remember that Sanyo has an exclusive on offering Readylink phones through the end of the year.
    i have heard the lag is annoying too. from my experience sanyo phones are not the best either. i really wish PTT was offered on something other than a sanyo (or a samsung for that matter). is it just me, or are these phones not very good?
    Quote Originally Posted by mas90guru
    The audio quality on ReadyLink is superior to Nextel. The lag time (while short at 2-4 seconds) becomes annoying. And the connection on my phone was fairly unreliable. For now Sprint's version is strictly a consumer toy.
    VOIP (Voice Over IP) is a hot topic right now in the telecom biz but, in some cases, not yet ready for prime time.

You can use an early version of it by using uSoft NetMeeting to chat with a friend using your microphone and speakers (or is that doable with IRC-stuff now?).
    Does Sprint have PTT available in all areas or just selected ones?
    Can push to talk be configured to communicate with more than one person (from your phonebook, etc.) or is it a fixed setting from the provider? I've not used this feature so I'm not quite sure how that part works.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    i had nextell. i got it for the free incoming calls. the walkie talkie was fun for a while, but then became a pain in the a*s. i had to give it up because the signal strength was so week it was almost useless. my personal feeling is that with any pda/cell phone, that it is the phone and the phone service that is most important. it doesn't much matter to me if the divice is a super computer, if i can't make calls with it then it is not usefull to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonecool
    Can push to talk be configured to communicate with more than one person (from your phonebook, etc.) or is it a fixed setting from the provider? I've not used this feature so I'm not quite sure how that part works.
    yes you can ptt with multiple people at once with nextel(extra charge), I'm not sure about sprint.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonecool

You can set up group lists and ReadyLink several people at once with Sprint's service. I know about the other guys.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejim02
    Does Sprint have PTT available in all areas or just selected ones?

Yes. ReadyLink is avalible in Sprint's entire digital network.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    the thing about sprint is that all their business plans come with unlimited pcs to pcs calling, so you don't need to get ptt to get in touch with someone for free... my experience with ptt has always been the receiving end... of someone's loud conversations in restaurants or worse- my roommate's friends always randomly "two way" him in the middle of the night and it wakes me up... i dont understand how it's that hard to just dial someone's number... with the treo, i can dial anyone i know with 3-5 button presses not a big deal...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I have a Nextel i730 work phone and I can tell you that PTT is priceless. I wish everyone had PTT and the systems were interoperable, because there is nothing better than beeping someone with Nextel, they say, "what?", you ask your question or whatever, they answer, and it's over. No pleasantries, no long conversations, it's very quick and easy. It would make conversations with my wife much more efficent. Nextel figures your minutes (voice and PTT) to the second instead of the minute, which is nice, plus incoming calls makes it a great deal IF the coverage is good. SLC's coverage has improved greatly in the last six months or so. Oh, and they have a new thing where compatible phones can use the PTT feature over short distances (~ a mile) when there is NO service at all! I can't imagine anything better than a Nextel Treo 650 with Sprint or EDGE quality data/pricing. If Blackberry can make a Nextel phone, why not P1? Oh, and as far as people being rude with the loud Nextel's in public, that is just poor manners...there is a little button on top that mutes the speaker and you can hold the thing to your ear and press the PTT button as needed...
    I know Kung Fu...
    Sprint lets you configure up to 5 people in a group call at no additional charge. With Nextel I've never done their group call but I believe there is always a per-minute charge and the initial setup of the group may require customer service to establish it (so you can't do it on the fly like Sprint's).

And someone pointed out the unlimited mobile - to - mobile minutes which imho greatly diminishes the need for Sprint's PTT.
    Quote Originally Posted by wvutdre79
    Nextel figures your minutes (voice and PTT) to the second instead of the minute, which is nice
    umm..no they dont...they used to. For voice that is.

I can't imagine anything better than a Nextel Treo 650 with Sprint or EDGE quality data/pricing. If Blackberry can make a Nextel phone, why not P1?
    ya, but nextel arent really the leaders of the latest technology...how long did it take them to get a color screen phone or a even a camera phone...the upcoming i930 will be their first "smartphone" i kinda chuckle everytime i say that because its pretty much a very sorry excuse for a smartphone

Oh, and as far as people being rude with the loud Nextel's in public, that is just poor manners...there is a little button on top that mutes the speaker and you can hold the thing to your ear and press the PTT button as needed...
    you dont know how many people that have nextel dont know that. its a shame....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast