1.    #1  
    I have seen a few links stating the 650 SD slot is SD/IO, so does that mean one of those WiFi cards will work, with or without built-in 256 memory?
    We will not know until the 650 is out.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by BssinRVer
    We will not know until the 650 is out.
    Is an issue like this not generic? I mean, does an SD/IO slot always permit use of a WiFi card, sometimes permit depending upon unit it is in, or never permits it? Just curious.
    It has been stated in several threads (I think), that the Treo 600 does not supply enough power to the SD/IO slot to run a WiFi card. We can only hope that PLMO has corrected this on the 650.
    I think all it means is that the Treo can communicate 2-way (In/Out) with the SD device; the manufacturer still has to write device-specific drivers. So if palmOne write the drivers, and there's no unforeseen impediment (eg. the t600 reportedly couldn't supply enough current to the SDIO slot), then it's possible.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    I think all it means is that the Treo can communicate 2-way (In/Out) with the SD device; the manufacturer still has to write device-specific drivers. So if palmOne write the drivers, and there's no unforeseen impediment (eg. the t600 reportedly couldn't supply enough current to the SDIO slot), then it's possible.
    Gotcha - thanks.
    ***Off-Topic Message***
    Ocean18, please say you are the person in your avatar!!!
    heh, the person in the avatar is morgan webb from the techtv
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    ***Off-Topic Message***
    He's right, it is Morgan from TechTV - hot, ain't she??? Check this out...

She is my fantasy of the month, or year.

(switched her picture again - WOW!)
    I watched her go from an extra on TechTV to a host of XPlay. Wow...she's all grown up now
    The Treo 650 only featured an SD slot. The 650 has SD/IO, and should have sufficient power. The only question is: When will (or will) palmOne write drivers for the 650?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    ***Off-Topic Message***
    Yes, that's him
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    He's right, it is Morgan from TechTV - hot, ain't she??? Check this out...

She is my fantasy of the month, or year.

(switched her picture again - WOW!)

NICE!!!
    I heard that PalmOne supplied enough power to the SDIO slot for the WiFi card to work... but we won't know until the 650 comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    The Treo 650 only featured an SD slot.
    I presume you mean "The Treo 600 only featured an SD slot", in which case...

"SD I/O (Secure Digital Input/Output) ready"

http://www.palmone.com/us/products/s...00/details.epl
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Is there a difference between "ready" and "capable"?
    It's an odd wording, but I doubt it.

There are so few Palm compatible SDIO peripherals that probably few users would have noticed the difference, but for instance the Margi PresenterToGo module is an SDIO peripheral which does work with the Treo 600.

Third parties such as the PIC and Infosync reviews are less ambiguous...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6021

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/4308,2.html

Edit: ...and in fact the palmOne spec sheets for the GSM and CDMA t600s both state "SD/MMC I/O expansion".
    Last edited by ianjd; 10/21/2004 at 09:21 AM.