Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm awaiting the arrival of the T650, and hoping to hear good things about the initial units in the field. But I'm intrigued by the many messages indicating that users are on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th replacement for the T600. Yikes!

What are some of the problems you've been having with the T600 that is causing a need for replacement?? Are these hardware issues, or software/os? What should I be looking out for with the T650 to make sure it's stable??
    KitMoni
    I am going to the Sprint store to get my 6th Treo 600 in the last year. All issues have been due to hardware.

Two of my phones failed because the earpiece stopped working, I think palmOne took care of that, the problem has been isolated to certain ESN numbers.

My current phone is being swapped out due to the network search error, which again has been isolated to a range of ESN numbers, mainly 09600716001 - 09600864216. This is where the phone doesn't dial part of the time and says network connection error.

I can't remember what the problem with the other 3 phones was. 1 was due to the Sprint 1.20 updater software, but that is a problem that could have been solved. They didn't need to swap out the phone but I'm not one to refuse a new phone!

I love the phone, but I can't stand the hardware problems. There is no way to tell what hardware problems the 650 may or may not have, but most of these have been fixed in the new treo 600 so I would imagine that they don't exist in the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    There is no way to tell what hardware problems the 650 may or may not have, but most of these have been fixed in the new treo 600 so I would imagine that they don't exist in the 650.
    Disregarding Yet Another Rumor that says the "TREO 650" has been delayed due to bugs...

How do you come to the conclusion that "most of the TREO 600" bugs have been fixed if you keep on replacing them due to hardware bugs?
    im on my forth ..
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Once you give up your "new" treo for replacement you get a "refurbished" treo in return. I had my Handspring treo for about 8 months before it developed the dead pixel in the screen (otherwise the unit worked flawlessly.) I swapped it out for a "refurbished" treo. 20 mins out of the sprint store my earpiece stopped working. I immediately returned to the sprint store, and demanded that they give me a NEW unit out of the box! They agreed, and I have had the same unit ever since. If Sprint makes you play the "refurbished" game, you are bound to be headed back to the sprint store sooner or later.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    After about 10 months I had a problem with a buzzing microphone; that seems common enough that there are instructions as to how to fix it on the web.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Hello,

I sold my original Treo 600 and it was in excellent working order even after having been dropped on my garage floor from about 36". It had a small ding on the lower right corner from that incident but continued to work very well right up until I sold it as an unlocked unit.

I bought mine directly from P1, since I already had an AT&T Wireless account and just wanted to upgrade my phone. I don't know if that makes any difference.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Disregarding Yet Another Rumor that says the "TREO 650" has been delayed due to bugs...

How do you come to the conclusion that "most of the TREO 600" bugs have been fixed if you keep on replacing them due to hardware bugs?
    I came to the conclusion because the earpiece problem and the network search problem have been linked to certain ESN ranges. Therefore the phones that do not fall into that range i.e. the ones made after the problems were addressed, have the hardware problems fixed.
    The ESN range is not 009****- and on, it has an ending number. That makes me come to the conclusion that the problems have been fixed in the new units.

Now refurbs are a different issue, as are old phones that still exist in Sprint stores or in people's possesion.
    so i guess its worth getting the "total equipment coverage" or do they automatically give u a warranty?
    Treo # 1 had the loose screw (but mine got lodged in such a way that when youd shake the phone...it'd do a hard reset.

Treo # 2 Just up and died. Wouldnt turn on...wouldnt do anything.

Treo # 3 Network serach issue (a bad connection to the battery...wouldnt provide enough power to the antenna to complete a call)

Treo # 4 No issues yet...but Im expecting something to happen soon.
    Got my Treo 600 through Orange a year ago tomorrow, and never had any problems (other than the lack of bluetooth, the low res screen, the peculiar limitations on file handling and the memory card popping out by itself).
    Treo #1 -- IR port stopped working, speakerphone echo, small semicircle extending from the left side of the screen (slightly darker than white)

Treo #2 -- buzzing in earpiece when someone was speaking

Treo #3 -- ok so far, slight blue tint to the screen (like #2, #1 was great)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I have had my original (hardware C) Sprint Treo 600 for almost 10 months now with no problems, and I am a heavy user. The only thing wrong with mine is the broken plastic on the sides from the Seidio belt clip (that I obviously no longer use). I have performed all updates as they became available (to 1.20).
  14.    #14  
    Yikes. Sounds like a majority of Treo users have had some sort of problem, many related to hardware. I'm hopeful that the new contract with HTC will reduce that. Clearly the Treo has a strong market, though, if people are willing to go through 3, 4 or even 5+ replacements. I'm currently using a SPCS Sanyo 4550. I must say that if I had to trade it in twice I'd be getting a different model.

I'm interested to see how the early adopters do with the T650. I think based on this feedback I won't be one of them. I do believe I'll have a smart device soon, but I'm not ready to trust Palm 1's first release just yet (been reading about the T5 a little too).

Thank you everyone for the input!!
    KitMoni
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    I'm interested to see how the early adopters do with the T650. I think based on this feedback I won't be one of them. I do believe I'll have a smart device soon, but I'm not ready to trust Palm 1's first release just yet (been reading about the T5 a little too).!!
    I have to tell you I was an early adopter of the Treo 600 and I'm glad I was. I'm a GSM user and got my Cingular 600 (Which I use on T-Mobile's network) last November. It's about 11 months later and I'm still on the same Treo. My thinking is that the first batch of GSM Treos was a really good lot. Once demand went through the roof and production couldn't keep up, quality control seemingly went out the window. My wife got her GSM Cingular Treo 600 (Which she uses on Cingular's network) in mid December and is still on her first Treo as well. You never can tell. Just go for it and hope for the best!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    I love my Treo 600. No problems here. I bought one as soon as T-mobile had them. I need a mobile office and this gives it to me.

SPG
    Yikes. Sounds like a majority of Treo users have had some sort of problem, many related to hardware.
    a majority of users?

PalmOne would have gone bankrupt had a "majority of users" had to replace their Treo 600's multiple times.

What you have here is a board selection bias. The number of people responding with problems is going to be VERY disproportionate to the number of people who are going to respond with "everything's been fine since day 1". Add to that the fact that those even READING a thread called "what's wrong with your T600?" are going to be a bad sample.

For the record, I've had mine (unbranded GSM) since February, and no problems whatsoever.
    Yikes. Sounds like a majority of Treo users have had some sort of problem, many related to hardware.
    Not sure if it a majority of users. I've had mine since November (Sprint). No problems at all (other than the ones I have created while loading third-party applications).
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I'm awaiting the arrival of the T650, and hoping to hear good things about the initial units in the field. But I'm intrigued by the many messages indicating that users are on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th replacement for the T600. Yikes!

What are some of the problems you've been having with the T600 that is causing a need for replacement?? Are these hardware issues, or software/os? What should I be looking out for with the T650 to make sure it's stable??
    KitMoni et al.,
    I'd like to know as well....perhaps we could get a quick poll to find out how many people have had problems, and if so, how bad was it (i.e. was it serious enough to return/exchange 1-2, 3-4, 5+ times)...what do you think?
    I bought Treo 600 since the flip on my 300 broke a week ago. Had to return it today since the phone has developed a high pitched humming in the earpiece whenever the display is lit up. Figured might as well wait for 650 now.

BTW, I think my problem was the most mild of all described here. Still annoying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast