Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    sorry to spoil the party, but dont we all want cobalt? c'mon, even 6.1 is introduced already ...

or will the improvements be minor?
    I'm thinking of waiting for the first Cobalt Treo rather than getting the 650. The only thing I've heard is that there 'may be' something just after the first of the year. If the 650's aren't available at the carrier's retail store until Nov/Dec...that doesn't seem too long to wait for something that should be A LOT BETTER, instead of just an incremental improvment...I wish we had more info on what was yet to come!

...but if we did, then who would be excited about the 650 anymore, right?
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
  3.    #3  
    some well informed treo-punter some time ago suggested that some months after the 650 launch we gonna see a cobalt-treo.

sounded like it would use the hardware of the 650 - would probably go by the name of a new 7xx-line.

if more hints about this become available, I gonna be a happy waiter, eh, happily waiting ...
    I read another thread saying the reason that Treo 650 doesn't have Cobalt was due to Mac OS incompatibility.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    techjunkie. you have any more info about this thread you read?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkopko
    techjunkie. you have any more info about this thread you read?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=59086
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Cobalt delays may be due to trademarking issues with a similar product in another industry.....but I digress
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Cobalt delays may be due to trademarking issues with a similar product in another industry.....but I digress
    SUNW's trademark on its Cobalt is in a very-related industry.

(note - sometime back this was mentioned either here or on the Yahoo PSRC message board...just found it here:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=sun

Enjoy!)
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/20/2004 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added treocentral post link
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    My understanding is, Cobalt is delayed because it's a rewrite, not simply an extension of Garnet. Multi-tasking is not an add-on. You have to build that in at the foundation level.
    Cobalt is just a working/code name for what will be called something like PalmOS 6. Batman and Robin are also trademarked and those were working names for the Treo 600. No chance they hold up a product over something that has no branding effort put behind it.

That said, I'm sure Palm would have to rewrite a lot of the application that they add to the OS to work with Cobalt (and potential secure new hardware). I won't expect this kind of effort to happen soon. I think you'd probably have to wait a year or whatnot for the next generation Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    That said, I'm sure Palm would have to rewrite a lot of the application that they add to the OS to work with Cobalt (and potential secure new hardware). I won't expect this kind of effort to happen soon. I think you'd probably have to wait a year or whatnot for the next generation Treo.
    The other issues is the (I assume) major price differance between Garnett and Cobalt to the licensees. I'm sure PalmSource is charging quite a bit more for Cobalt on a per unit basis. Why should PalmOne pay it if they can continue to hack up 5.x (which is at the point of being held together by spit and rubber bands)? As PalmOne is the only major licensee left, I wouldn't be surprised if Cobalt collects dust at PalmSource and possibly never sees the light of day. Although it's an Embedded OS, it's only use is in the PDA space, unlike RTOS software from Wind River, Microsoft and others that is used in everything from ATMs, network switches/routers, process control equipment, etc. In other words, from an Embedded System standpoint Cobalt is an orphan.
    I don't understand why everyone gets so excited about Cobalt. Since no one has released a device with it yet, all we have to go on is PalmSource's press releases and dev kits. For all we know it may be buggy as all heck and a resource hog -- until a device comes out with it it's hard to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    I read another thread saying the reason that Treo 650 doesn't have Cobalt was due to Mac OS incompatibility.
    Although PalmSource don't support MacOS with Cobalt, Mark/Space (who have been tweaking Sony Clies for years to work with MacOS via The Missing Sync) claim that their software will allow Cobalt Machines to work with MacOS.

http://www.markspace.com/cobalt.html

Now, there's no reason why palmOne shouldn't license Missing Sync and bundle it the same way they bundle DocumentsToGo, if they think they've got a big enough Mac user market to justify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Two reasons: (1) The Treo 650 was in development long before Colbalt 6.0 was released. (2) When Colbalt 6.0 was rushed out to meet a Dec 29, 04, deadline, it was incredibly buggy (read: Tungsten|T5). Nobody wanted to use Cobalt 6.0, and they let PalmSource know. Colbalt 6.1, which fixed the supposed problems and provided better support for smartphones, was released only a few months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Cobalt is just a working/code name for what will be called something like PalmOS 6. Batman and Robin are also trademarked and those were working names for the Treo 600. No chance they hold up a product over something that has no branding effort put behind it.
    Buzz! Incorrect. Colbert is the official name for Palm Os 6.x. Here's where things get complicated. PalmSource is licensing both OS 5.x and 6.x at the same time. 5.x is branded as Garnet and 6.x is Colbalt. They chose to give them names so that people would shun 5.x in favor of 6.x. Garnet was initially geared towards low-end Palms and smartphones (See: Treo 650, Garnet 5.4.2); Colbalt was for high-end.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Minor note: I think you mean "They chose to give them names so that people would *not* shun 5.x in favor of 6.x.", unless I misread your meaning?
    Why do you care if it has Cobalt? What's the big difference?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Im So Unpopular
    Why do you care if it has Cobalt? What's the big difference?
    Cobalt was built from the ground up. It features multi-tasking capabilities, better wireless support (Bluetooth,Wi-Fi, cellular, etc), an enhanced user interface, support for resolutions up to 32,000 x 32,000 (yes 32 thousand), and other goodies. See PalmInfocenter POS 6 Cobalt overview for more details.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Cobalt won't be an orphan. It is likely that Cobalt is built on a standard RTOS, just as Garnet is.

There are at least two reasons why Mircosoft entered the handheld fray and why Cobalt won't collect dust on a shelf:

1. I believe that handheld devices will do to PCs what PCs did to Mini Computers and what Mini Computers did to Mainframes. The smaller and cheaper computers started out with less power, and fewer options but at a lower price point. With time, the smaller computers grew in power, options and market share all the while making the larger more expensive computers all but extinct.

2. Palm OS is sold into the consumer market so it has a much bigger market than a RTOS or even Windows usually has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Buzz! Incorrect. Colbert is the official name for Palm Os 6.x. Here's where things get complicated. PalmSource is licensing both OS 5.x and 6.x at the same time. 5.x is branded as Garnet and 6.x is Colbalt. They chose to give them names so that people would shun 5.x in favor of 6.x. Garnet was initially geared towards low-end Palms and smartphones (See: Treo 650, Garnet 5.4.2); Colbalt was for high-end.
    Ahh, I was unaware that the end-user would have that branding. In any event, since there are no Cobalt devices out (though maybe that new Tungsten is, not sure, we'll get to that in minute), it would be easy to change to something not trademarked.

If there are Cobalt devices out there (i.e. maybe that new Tungsten) then obviously there are no trademark issues with it.
    The Tungsten|T5 is also a Garnet 5.4.5 device.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast