Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To be honest, I'm more concerned with whether or not devices can be upgraded to Cobalt 6.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    To be honest, I'm more concerned with whether or not devices can be upgraded to Cobalt 6.1.
    Sure, if you can get somebody to write Cobalt 6.1 for the Treo 650, have him contact me and I'll buy a Dell Axim X50 for him to reprogram.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by gregorypierce
    If you're thinking that the t650 might be upgraded to any version of Cobalt, I'd suggest it's unlikely. More likely that an as yet unknown high end device in the Treo family with more RAM and a better processor will sport this, or at least be upgradable.
    Not only will it 99.9999% not be upgradable, I don't think I'd want it to be. From what I hear Cobalt is so different that such an upgrade would likely cause major instability with existing applications and such. It's not the kind of thing that I'd want to do with a phone where reliability is key. Imagine all the people complaining about network searches complaining that for whatever reason the upgrade process didn't work completely or some of their applications stopped working and they want to go back. All these people running to Sprint, T-mobile, etc. for tech support. It would be a nightmare.
    So then Cobalt comes out people will have to re-buy ALL of their Palm devices to use it? That is the height of stupidity!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I read earlier this week that Palmone has repeatedly mentioned releaseing multiple Treo devices in the fall to flesh out the family. I took this to mean next year and that is when I expect a Cobalt device. It all fits nicely with P1's product release scheduals.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    From what I hear Cobalt is so different that such an upgrade would likely cause major instability with existing applications and such.
    Cobalt has featured PACE from the beginning. PACE = Palm Application Compatibility Evironment, the same thingy that lets you run POS 1-4 software on your POS 5 (or Garnet if you prefer) device.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12