1.    #1  
    I've been reading all these bad stories about the T5 due to the new OS 5.4. And, now I'm wondering if the Treo 650 will have the same bugs or more with the addition of phone software? Is this why there are romours about phone companies releasing the phone on December? Probably, October 25th, will be an official release date, but on that date nobody will be able to have one for another 2 to more months of debugging.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    I've been reading all these bad stories about the T5 due to the new OS 5.4.
    That's interesting. What sort of problems have people been having?
    In favor of goofy names: MyTreo.net.
  3.    #3  
    Well, Ive read that it goes from dialog boxes not displaying right to multiple resets. For more info on the T5 visit 1source.com
    Well, Ive read that it goes from dialog boxes not displaying right to multiple resets.
    That's weird. Has that been with built-in apps or third-party stuff?
    For more info on the T5 visit 1source.com
    Well, I may be a moron, but I can't find anything about the T5 on that site. In fact, I can't find anything there about Palm at all, or even any place on the site to begin looking for information, to be honest. Indeed, I hate that website. It realizes the most frustrating aspects of Flash. Google describes 1source.com like this: "Network Consulting Services firm and Value-added Reseller. " Are you sure that was the site you were thinking of?

Edit: Oh -- definitely not "1source.com," then.
    Last edited by snerdy; 10/20/2004 at 04:21 AM.
    Here are some threads from 1src and PIC which goes into some of the problems, though it's worth noting that some users haven't had serious problems, so there may be some old ROM builds causing problems...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/...848bf399aaa25f

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70832
    Now that was a depressing read. Here's what I took away from those threads:

1. There are problems with the way palmOne worked 256MB of RAM into the T5. Specifically, HotSync doesn't like the USB drive type set up and the built-in search feature doesn't like flash RAM. No problem for the Treo 650 -- it doesn't have this stuff. ...Or, at least, it doesn't seem like it will have this stuff. We most likely won't have the "virtual drive" thinger (32MB -- what would the point be?) and no one is really sure how the whole backup situation will work on the 650. It could be flash RAM, in which case the built-in search feature will probably suck.

2. There are problems with the virtual graffiti area. No problem on the Treo 650 as there won't be a virtual graffiti area. (And if there is, and you're using it ...what on earth is wrong with you?) There also seem to be problems with some of the menus, especially the "blue glow" around buttons. ...That's lame.

3. Those threads were started by an obviously notorious troll. Imagine how well it would go if SeldomVisitor bought a 650 and posted a review here. That's almost what you've got over there, but probably not quite as bad. (Our troll could beat up their troll, is what I'm saying ...assuming they're different trolls, that is.)

So, in answer to the original question -- no, it doesn't seem likely we'll have the same problems on the Treo 650 that people are seeing now on the T5.

Thanks, by the way, for posting this stuff. I hadn't read very much about recent versions of OS 5, so this is interesting stuff to me. Thanks!
    Certainly there's an element of trolling in those posts from certain well-known individuals, though there is some verified truth in there. The 30s boot from reset and slow Global Find have been verified elsewhere.

The use of all flash RAM rather than volatile seems to be a cause of some of these problems - notably the two listed above. (PalmSource luminary Ben Combee wrote a piece on the reasons behind this, and it's basically to do with the way you have to copy data into a cache to access it. http://palmos.combee.net/)

With the T650's removable battery, I'd assumed that p1 would implement the same type of flash RAM into the T650, though implemented entirely as program space rather than the program / VFS division you see on the T5. This would obviate data loss from battery swaps and flat batteries. As you say, though, there have been a few conflicting reports about the memory in the T650, including one suggestion that there would be a 32Mb volatile / 32Mb flash backup setup, but an all-flash setup makes sense to me from a user standpoint.

Things like the dialogue draw crashes and Calendar problems are, I hope, a bit more device-specific, and addressable with patches. With any luck, the testing that the network providers put phones through is a bit more rigorous than the p1 internal T5 testing, and will pick this kind of stuff up before they let it near users.

A shame they made a mess of the blue-glow highlighting though, undoubtedly one of the best advantages of the Treo series over the Tunstens!
    Last edited by ianjd; 10/20/2004 at 08:09 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, Here we are on the official release day and It seems like it is all true. The Treo 650 has the same Flash problems as the T5. PalmOne needs to put together their mess before all cell companies stop selling Treos because of pissed customers.

Al
  9. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjd
    A shame they made a mess of the blue-glow highlighting though, undoubtedly one of the best advantages of the Treo series over the Tunstens!
    Hi,

What happened to the blue-glow highlighting?

George
    The T5 5-way navigation has incorporated some of the functionality of the Treo600, but it's not as seamlessly integrated. It feels a bit grafted-on, and third party applications can't all take advantage of it. For example, Documents To Go v7.000 which ships with the T5 does support it, but Documents To Go v7.002 which you can download as an "upgrade" from Dataviz doesn't support the 5-way anything like as well. Very odd.