Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The 650 looks very tempting. The amount of memory is important to me, though. I have seen both 32mb and 64mb mentioned. I seem to remember someone saying at one point that only 20mb would be available to the user (!!?!??).

Does anyone know for sure how much memory it will have???

Thanks
    I keep asking the same question and nonbody seems to have an answer. 32mb would be criminal.
    Enough to function admirably, dear Sir.
    and what about an sd wifi possibiliity?
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Memory and WiFi compatibility are the two biggest unanswered questions at this point. My guess is we won't know for sure until the first of us gets our hands on one and reports the ACTUAL findings here. Based on current static, that may be sooner than later...
    Vince
  6.    #6  
    Must have 64mb usable to really be enticed by the 650, I think. I would even be happy with something like "45mb usable."
    could be as low as 20 for the user
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Hi all,
    Would someone mind sharing how they use up their 32mb, or whatever you currently get on a Treo 600 for disk space? I'm guessing most of it is for MP3's and video files? Or are there that many applications now for Palm OS that you can use up the space? I imagine this will be a problem if you have to keep swapping cards in and out for music and then WiFi connection :/
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Hi all,
    Would someone mind sharing how they use up their 32mb, or whatever you currently get on a Treo 600 for disk space? I'm guessing most of it is for MP3's and video files? Or are there that many applications now for Palm OS that you can use up the space? I imagine this will be a problem if you have to keep swapping cards in and out for music and then WiFi connection :/
    It comes with 32mb, but only 23mb are available to the user.

Actually, music and videos need to be run off an SD card. Put the premium version of Docs to Go (some of it can be run off a card, but not all), KeySuites (none can be run off a card) and Mobile PDR (most of it can be on a card, but it won't update itself ), add pTunes, an e-reader, some e-mails (even without attachments) and some other apps that can't be run from a card and you pretty much have very little left. I love my Treo, but am constantly running into free memory issues and putting as much as I can on my SD card. If the new Treo had the same amount of RAM (and it may even have less user available RAM), not only will it be criminal, but I will not upgrade to it.
    Jeff
    Most medical apps (Epocrates, BluefishRx) need to remain in ram because they update during a hotsync. The databases are HUGE, I barely have enough ram left to function, and I've moved everything else possible to the SD card. I WON"T be buying unless it has at least 64 MB of ram (no matter what other features are included in the 650)
    Wow...the memory really sounds like a deal breaker! And a Wifi card would require you to remove the SD card and many of the things you need to function?! Ugh...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Wow...the memory really sounds like a deal breaker! And a Wifi card would require you to remove the SD card and many of the things you need to function?! Ugh...
    Exactly!!! That is why a Treo with 32mb is criminal in this day and age of cheap RAM. I am hoping that even PalmOne won't be that stupid, but based on their past history, they rarely fail to disapoint. We just have to wait and see.
    Jeff
    MacUser - I believe that SanDisk manufactures a Wifi-SDIO card with 256 MB of built-in RAM. However as of now the Treo 650 does not seem to be compatible to any Wifi-SDIO cards. I'm still waiting to hear otherwise...
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    All rumours indicate it will have 32MB.

As always, p1 offers just the barely acceptable....
  15.    #15  
    This is disappointing to say the least. I too need a chunk of ram for databases that update during hotsync and cannot be on the card. I remember messing around with 3rd-party memory apps (smoke and mirrors - slower performance) on my Tungsten T and struggling with the 16mb it had. 23mb usable is not acceptable for me. On the other hand, I do not need 256mb like the T5 has. I remember in the days of the Palm III (I believe) you could mail it off and get a memory upgrade (doubled). Perhaps some tech-savvy entrepreneur reading on this site could make some $$$ by starting a business doing memory upgrades for Treos. Is that even possible? Would certainly void the warranty. Why can't palmone make different customizable versions of the 600 or 650? If you want a PowerMac, you can go to the Apple web site and customize the computer to include certain options. Wouldn't it be nice to order a Treo and just click on certain options like that?

Memory - 64mb - add $40
    wifi capability - yes - add $100
    camera - 3.2 MP - add $250
    EDGE - yes - add $50
    diamond studded Trump version - add $30,000
    U2 jet-black version - add $75

Who care if the upgrades add to the cost of your $450 Treo if you are a treocentral-reading poweruser that just customized your next gadget?
    Last edited by joej; 10/20/2004 at 12:50 PM.
    32MB RAM is unspeakable in this day and age. The person(s) who approved this and thought it was accepatble should be shot. If this is the case, with only 23MB usable, I will go back to my cell and carry my iPAQ once again where I have 64MB RAM and room for expansion.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    There was a website where you could do that with the handspring line. I remember the individual could double the memory of the Prism from 8mb to 16. I wonder if that website is still around and if this could be done with the treo. Of course, this is all speculation because we have no definite ansers.
    I assume no third party ever offered an increase in ram for the Treo 600. However, considering companies like PocketPCTechs have upgrades for numerous Pocket PC's, I don't see why a memory upgrade can't be performed on a Treo 650. But we won't know until it arrives.
    64 i believe
    DealScanner - <- best deal site on the web
    DealScanner
    Foe, is your 64mb comment based on speculation or do you know something specific?

If the Treo 650 is really delayed until December or January due to unavailability of parts and it still only has 32 mb of ram, I say we all boycott buying it until PalmOne upgrades the memory.

Imagine if sales were initially awful and we all wrote letters saying we aren't buying the device without 64 mb of ram, PalmOne would have no choice by to upgrade the memory.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast