Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Before I drop $500 or $600 plus dollars on a Treo 650 (to replace my Treo 600) I want to be sure I do my homework and check out what other convergence devices are out there. If you couldn't have a Treo 650 what would you spend youíre hard earned money on (either available now or coming out soon)? What are the pros and cons of the competitors vs. the Treo? What features do you find most important?

I did a little looking around and was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. I want one device to do it all. It doesn't have to be great at any one task but it has to be good at most and well integrated. I really enjoy my Treo 600 and I think Handspring got the compromises just about right. One of my biggest reservations about the upcoming Treo 650 is the lack of WiFi.
    good luck getting a real answer. you're on a TREO discussion board where all these people are thinking they're getting one in the next couple of weeks. you think they're thinking about another device....?
    Treo 650!!!
    If the t650 turned out to be as plague-ridden as the T5 sounds, I'd consider jumping ship to the HP h6365 (or other variant h63?? model), but I'd miss an integrated keyboard, and my wallet would miss having money in it.
    PDA2k
    Personally, I was thinking about going back to two devices. I sleek mobile phone like an mpx220 perhaps and then a PDA like the T5. But I wasn't as happy with the T5 as I thought I would have been. I then started looking at the SE p910. But then all the palm apps I've come to love wouldn't be there and I'd have to buy new ones etc. When it comes down to it, I love my Treo 600 but am just annoyed with 3 things, the screen, the camera, and lack of bluetooth (to work with GPS). Wifi is next on the list.

Now, with the 650, I get at least two of those things. The screen and bluetooth. Why the treo 600 camera (And other cameraphone) cameras are horrible is beyond me. MY sony UX-50 has a .3mp camera and it's better than anything else I've seen in a mobile format! What's going on here?! Now, if the bluetooth will allow me to connect the treo 650 to my computer and GPS, I'm all over it. Someone once said that it may be 'crippled' to work only with headsets and cars etc. That will not do. I'm excited about the screen so I can enjoy my games and other aps better (Better wallpaper!)

Lack of wifi will HOPEFULLY, be solved with a SDIO card... We'll see. It would just be convenient to check email at a hotspot, home, library, university etc without dipping into data. I only subscribe to 1mb of data month because unlimited is so expensive and I don't use it THAT much (Usually around a computer anyway).

Now if unlimited GPRS/EDGE was $10 / month, I'd get that.. but to me, it seems like cell phone plans aren't even changing for the better right now... (Sigh)

Mike
  7. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    good luck getting a real answer. you're on a TREO discussion board where all these people are thinking they're getting one in the next couple of weeks. you think they're thinking about another device....?
    What better group to ask than the bright people who have or are considering a Treo 600/650? Presumably before dropping several hundred bucks these people looked around. I don't think everyone on the site drank the Treo coolaid - do you?
    Or maybe the Audiovox SMT5600 aka Orange SPV-C500, not least since it's practically free in the UK.
    First off I currently donít own a cell phone or pda, so Iím not taking sides. The reasons why Iím going with the 650 and not any other smartphone, is for the form factor (size), features, availability (coming out soon), and price (around $500)

These I feel are the only real competition for the 650

Motorola MPx (Pre-engineer models can be found for $1000+)

MDA 3 (Can be found on eBay for around $900)

FYI, If I can find a Treo 600 new unlocked for around $200- $300 forget this waiting crap I would buy that asap.
    pa1mOne Tungsten|T3.
    "'Form follows function' ó that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    If I couldn't get a 650, I'd keep my 600.
    The one pda/phone out there that might be in the same league as the Treo 650 is the HP Ipaq 6315:
    http://www.bargainpda.com/?newsID=22...w=HP+iPaq+6315

It has WiFi, Bluetooth, phone, and phone/data connections. It sports 64 Meg of SDRAM and 64 meg of ROM, SDIO, a 640 x 480 camera, 240 x 320 screen, mp3, audio, and video streaming support, terminal services and VPN client.

I like Palm applications but the Windows Mobile O/S is picking up speed and there are some very cool things that can be done with this device.

When the Treo 650 is released I'll compare the two units side-by-side and give the IPAQ 6315 a close look. I think the Treo 650 is a solid offering, but the IPAQ may offer some things that are more valuable for my world. I hate the thought of leaving the Palm O/S, but Palm seems content with a conservative O/S geared towards the business user while the Windows Mobile O/S might offer the techno-geeks (myself included) of the world a little extra bang for their buck.

James
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    Before I drop $500 or $600 plus dollars on a Treo 650 (to replace my Treo 600) I want to be s.........

Kind sir, might one consider the Siemens SX66?

Details as mentioned prior on this site are at the following link"

http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?P...=DETAILS_PDA2K
    I did a little looking around and was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. I want one device to do it all. It doesn't have to be great at any one task but it has to be good at most and well integrated. I really enjoy my Treo 600 and I think Handspring got the compromises just about right. One of my biggest reservations about the upcoming Treo 650 is the lack of WiFi.
    I would keep the Treo 600. I have a PalmOS 4.1-based Kyocera 7135. For me, it's a great device (coming from a VisorPrism+VisorPhone prior) but I would not recommend it over a Treo 600. Keep an eye on the Treo 650, I don't think there is much else out there that will beat it. That is, if running PalmOS is one of your goals.

I can't wait to be able to run PalmOS 5 applications outside of the Palm Simulator but I won't buy a Palm device unless it has an integrated phone. The Treo 650 has got my attention.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    If there was no Treo 650, I'd get the Nokia 6630 when it comes out. Symbian series 60 is not as developed as PalmOS, but there are enough apps out there to do what I need to get done.
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Kind sir, might one consider the Siemens SX66?

Details as mentioned prior on this site are at the following link"

http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?P...=DETAILS_PDA2K

Nice! I might have to check this one out.
    Before I drop $500 or $600 plus dollars on a Treo 650 (to replace my Treo 600) I want to be sure I do my homework and check out what other convergence devices are out there. If you couldn't have a Treo 650 what would you spend youíre hard earned money on (either available now or coming out soon)? What are the pros and cons of the competitors vs. the Treo? What features do you find most important?

A Sony Ericsson T630 and an HP iPAQ hx4700 !
    My mind is made up. I'm planning to get the PDA2K in the next few weeks. If by some miracle the Treo 650 can support a wifi card then I will reconsider at the last minute. The PDA2K is now in stock at various places in the UK, and Orange are expected to start selling their version (M2000) very soon. If the Treo 650 can support wifi then I'll have some serious thinking to do - PDA2K now or Treo 650 in a month or two.

At least if the Treo 650 won't work with wifi at all then my decision is made. My Treo 600 goes on eBay this week, and although I've got my SE T68i to use temporarily, I'm not sure I'll be willing to wait very much longer for the Treo 650.
    If I couldn't have a Treo 650, I would stick with my Treo 600.
    Hmmm... Well, I guess it would probably be one of 3 things:

1) Stick with my current (Nokia 6600 & H3870 ipaq)
    2) Sony Ericsson P910i
    3) Treo 600
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast