Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been happily using Snappermail since the early days of the tool. In fact I bought the lifetime license when it was still available. I never really did any comparison shopping, I just took the word of people on this site. However with PalmOne releasing the Treo650 with Versamail included and with Versamail supporting this new feature of Outlook Syncing, I am wondering if it is time for a switch. I don't know if the Outlook stuff will work with my company's setup anyway, but looking at the product claims, I don't really see anything that Snappermail has that Versamail does not have.

Does anybody have an opinion on this? What are the tradeoffs? Anyone else considering the switch? How do they compare in HTML rendering?
    I was a happy versamail user before snappermail. I think it will be a good product for POP, IMAP, and Exchange users. I used the older version (2.5 i believe) and it didn't have background fetching... my guess is the new version does so i'm looking forward to trying it. If it's not as good as snapper or chatter, then we have options.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    I have Versa which came on my TC, but quickly added Snapper. Things are much better now.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    snapper for me too
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I liked Snapper on the T600 I sold and like it on the T3 I have and will like it on the T650 I'm buying on or about 10/25.... My birthday's the 24th.... Really
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    It sounds like the majority of users prefer snappermail over versamail. Could someone describe the pros and cons of snappermail vs. other competitors?
    snappermail for me.
    One big CON for snappermail is that it's expensive. The obvious PRO for versamail is that it's free.
    go.digital
    I like the promised "out of the box" exhange support...that's a huge plus for me. I am a Snapper user now, but if I can synch more than my inbox wirelessly (like calendar etc) I will switch to the new Versa shipping with the 650.

I don't know what features will be in the new Version of Versa, but here's what I like about snapper:

- More options about how much of a message to grab

- More flexibility to archive mail to your card (but keep it transparent to you)

- Nicer attachment handling

- Ability to have it disconect your Internet connection automatically after grabbing mail. My old verision of Versa used to keep the connection open after checking and I would have to manually go in and turn the connection off.
    i'm a pretty happy chatter user, but was stoked to see that P1 is including IMAP support out of the box. that was unexpected.
    Off to iPhone land...
    I know...Pop, IMAP and MS Exchange Server in one app. I think that's pretty sweet.
    for me the two killer Treo functions are email and MP3 player (especially streaming Internet radio). if they're bundling a fairly robust email program I wonder if they'll bundle Ptunes or some other MP3 player
    Off to iPhone land...
    For me, it will be all about saving memory space. I find that Snappermail doesn't perform too well on my T600 when run from the card. If Versamail:

1) Does not take any of the valuable 20mb of user available memory

2) Properly handles SSL IMAP connections (previous iterations could not do so wirelessly; please correct me if I'm wrong).

then that will be my tool of choice. I'm not inclined to use a redundant tool when P1 is ONLY GIVING US 32 MB OF MEMORY! Sorry, rant complete.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Snapper sucks! Every time I get mail I get old mail from my Pop3 account. I do not get recent emails, and I only get about half.
    So how do you know it's not you server? Snapper has always worked flawlessly for me...as has VeraMail..
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    Snapper sucks! Every time I get mail I get old mail from my Pop3 account. I do not get recent emails, and I only get about half.
    whatever
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    whatever
    WHAT'S THAT??? I DID NOT GET THAT EMAIL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    I like the promised "out of the box" exhange support...that's a huge plus for me. I am a Snapper user now, but if I can synch more than my inbox wirelessly (like calendar etc) I will switch to the new Versa shipping with the 650.
    There is always the possibility that you can get the best of both worlds. I guess it depends on just how Palm implements it but you can sync the calendar independently of the inbox. Perhaps we'll be able to continue using the email app of our choice, while relying on activesync to manage our calendars.

And how come Chattermail isn't a part of this discussion?! I love the IMAP idle feature, which Exchange 2003 supports.
    That's a nice thought...but something tells me Microsoft and Palm already thought of that one
    On my current T600 I have purchased SnapperMail Pro I've used it daily since they released the beta with IMAP support.

I've spent the last hour playing around with the Treo650 via the simulator, in particular VersaMail.

I'm happy to report that it supports:

* IMAP over SSL
    * SMTP Authentication + StartTLS (note that it *incorrectly* calls this SSL)
    * User definable TCP port numbers for IMAP and SMTP
    * Download messages from the past X days
    * Download only new messages
    * Download X kilobytes of a message
    * Download rest of truncated message icon (doesn't allow download X more bytes)
    * Ability to choose to download attachments or not
    * Very good attachment handling
    * Ability to just download headers
    * Very well integrated into rest of applications
    * Multiple remote folder support
    * Very nice UI
    * Auto Sync on a schedule (between hours of, and on selectable days)

Things that SnapperMail Pro is still better for:
    * SMTP over SSL in addition to StartTLS support
    * More advanced remote folder management (different sync settings)
    * Ability to archive messages to the SD card
    * More sync options (confusingly so)

Things that SnapperMail Pro annoys me with:
    * Doesn't work well with require password on resume

I have to say that I'm very tempted to just use VersaMail v3.0. I'll have to see how it works on an actual T650 and compare sync speeds.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast