Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snapperfish
    What's your ISP and configs. it could be a POP before Send issue in which case you need to check POP Authentication under the More button in your server setting.
    Well I'm gonna gine snapper a new try when i get my 650 from sprint. But I tell you, snapper should install itself with the right settings, should'nt it? Otherwise what do you gain from setting up wrong? Flexibility? Speed?
    I have snapper and it works flawlessly on multiple servers. I think it is either your server or your settings. Either way I am sure it could be resolved. Look someone from Snapper is already trying to help you! How is that for service!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Now that I've got my T650 in my hot little hand, I've got everything configured to what I need except for email! I'm a power email user and had 5 different accounts that were checked using Snappermail on my T600. Now that I'm looking at Versamail, it has some intriguing benefits like the background downloading and "non-impactful' regular transfers.

The problem I'm seeing is that Versamail doesn't seem to have quite the horsepower that Snappermail does. For example, Snapper has a one button capability to download all email accounts. Versamail has to go account by account. Another is the ability to junk an email with a single button press while versamail doesn't seem to have this function. There are many other things I'm noticing but as I said, I'm just getting into it.

So what do you power email users think? Have you switched to Versamail or are you sticking with Snappermail?

Frankly, it's too bad that Snapper doesn't support background downloading of emails without the screen turning on. Frankly with this feature, I don't think I'd even look at Versamail.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg
    Now that I've got my T650 in my hot little hand, I've got everything configured to what I need except for email! I'm a power email user and had 5 different accounts that were checked using Snappermail on my T600. Now that I'm looking at Versamail, it has some intriguing benefits like the background downloading and "non-impactful' regular transfers.

The problem I'm seeing is that Versamail doesn't seem to have quite the horsepower that Snappermail does. For example, Snapper has a one button capability to download all email accounts. Versamail has to go account by account. Another is the ability to junk an email with a single button press while versamail doesn't seem to have this function. There are many other things I'm noticing but as I said, I'm just getting into it.

So what do you power email users think? Have you switched to Versamail or are you sticking with Snappermail?

Frankly, it's too bad that Snapper doesn't support background downloading of emails without the screen turning on. Frankly with this feature, I don't think I'd even look at Versamail.
    I was going to stay with VersaMail, but I cannot seem to get it to pickup my GMail account. Gone thru the settings 3 times, still no luck
    Gentlemen, I have a couple of questions about Versamail. Does Versamail attatch pics from an SD card? Does it send and retrieve mail at the same time or can you do either separately?

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Gentlemen, I have a couple of questions about Versamail. Does Versamail attatch pics from an SD card? Does it send and retrieve mail at the same time or can you do either separately?

Thanks
    Yes, You can attatch quite a bit of stuff from the SD card and the Treo itself. Kind of a neat app, as I said in my 2-cent review, I may not install the other email client I use to use. I still need to see if Versamail is everything I need it to be, if not, then it's back w/ Snapper. At first glance, the VM seems to intergrate better.
    I know I can 'send' an email w/o checking for new ones (at least it appers that way)
    here is a link to the Versamail Manual, it may answer some of you questions.
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/ha...rsaMail_UG.pdf
    Thanks Burk!

I did not see your review. I'm on vac so I may have not seen it.

Question, when u send video's can it be viewed on folks cells who don't have videophones like the 600?
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Thanks Burk!

I did not see your review. I'm on vac so I may have not seen it.

Question, when u send video's can it be viewed on folks cells who don't have videophones like the 600?
    Don't know, but I assume not. I had a friend send a picture SMS to me from his Moto VZW to my Treo600, and all I got was either the text, or nothing.So I assume that the person getting the video SMS or Picture SMS must have a phone that can 'speak' that SMS lingo?
    I have found VersaMail (VM) is so-so. I have not tried snappermail on the 650, but with the 600, it worked great. If a message is a long one in HTML format, VM will only download part of it. After you read it, you have to click on an icon to get the reset (It can only get max message size of 60KB, which is crappy). VM also fails to get message thought the day (I have it set to get mail every hour), sometimes it will retrieve them, other times it fails. I do have gmail working on mine. Hey Sliebow, did you enable pop retrieval in the gmail setting, that is the only to make vm work with it (Go to help in gmail, it will give you all the info so you can configure your VM). I have mine configured so when pop access gmail, it will transfer messages to the archive. VM stores the email in ram; I didnít find a setting to save everything to an SD card. I like how snappermail will get all accounts at once. The only think I donít like about gmail is that you have to click get external images, so when VM grabs your messages, the images are missing.
    I've setup both at the moment, and I'll play with it for the next few days to see which I prefer.

On a sidenote, it would be nice if the send feature in the camera app could be linked to the e-mail client of your choice. It seems to just use Sprints Picture Mail, Unless I'm missing something
    Quote Originally Posted by shady
    I've setup both at the moment, and I'll play with it for the next few days to see which I prefer.

On a sidenote, it would be nice if the send feature in the camera app could be linked to the e-mail client of your choice. It seems to just use Sprints Picture Mail, Unless I'm missing something
    That's the same situation as on the 600. That's Sprint's doing. The GSM version lets you choose.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    < merged versamail vs snappermail threads >
    Does VersaMail 3.0 support REM background checking - checking w/o turning the screen on or "hijacking" the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy
    On my current T600 I have purchased SnapperMail Pro I've used it daily since they released the beta with IMAP support.

I've spent the last hour playing around with the Treo650 via the simulator, in particular VersaMail.

I'm happy to report that it supports:

* IMAP over SSL
    * SMTP Authentication + StartTLS (note that it *incorrectly* calls this SSL)
    * User definable TCP port numbers for IMAP and SMTP
    * Download messages from the past X days
    * Download only new messages
    * Download X kilobytes of a message
    * Download rest of truncated message icon (doesn't allow download X more bytes)
    * Ability to choose to download attachments or not
    * Very good attachment handling
    * Ability to just download headers
    * Very well integrated into rest of applications
    * Multiple remote folder support
    * Very nice UI
    * Auto Sync on a schedule (between hours of, and on selectable days)

Things that SnapperMail Pro is still better for:
    * SMTP over SSL in addition to StartTLS support
    * More advanced remote folder management (different sync settings)
    * Ability to archive messages to the SD card
    * More sync options (confusingly so)

Things that SnapperMail Pro annoys me with:
    * Doesn't work well with require password on resume

I have to say that I'm very tempted to just use VersaMail v3.0. I'll have to see how it works on an actual T650 and compare sync speeds.
    Well said. I've used both Snapper and VersaMail and I find VersaMail is an overall better experience. Plus the fact it is free makes it an easy decision for me. I find the overall exchange experience quite nice. It is a drag that it does calendar but not contacts.
    That's the same situation as on the 600. That's Sprint's doing. The GSM version lets you choose.

Snappermail can send pics from card, can Versamail do this also?
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Quote Originally Posted by shady
    On a sidenote, it would be nice if the send feature in the camera app could be linked to the e-mail client of your choice. It seems to just use Sprints Picture Mail, Unless I'm missing something.
    It's not intuitive, but I've noticed that if I use the 'envelope' icon in the Pics & Videos application, it sends the picture via Messaging (i.e. Sprint Picture Mail), but if I choose "Send..." from the drop-down Media menu, it lets me pick either VersaMail or Bluetooth (and I presume any other installed mail clients would appear in the same dialog box).

The Sprint Picture Mail option is quicker and your images are automatically archived by Sprint, whereas you're on your own via an e-mail client (and as I discovered, you have to be careful to empty your Sent Mail folder fairly often!).

But the VersaMail option is my preference, because it works better with email-to-web moblog hosts like Flickr and because it doesn't include Sprint marketing in what arrives at my friends' inbox.
    Well, I tried them both as soon as I got the 650 because Snapper takes another MB of that valuable memory, while Versamail is included in the ROM.

VersaMail has some nice integration features. It can attach images and videos (Snapper does this on the 600, but I guess the 650 has a different format, so it doesn't on the 650). It puts the "mail" logo on your main screen and I presume works in the background, though I haven't seen it do so.

Sadly, it is pretty buggy and still handles multiple accounts poorly. It doesn't have one touch send/receive on all accounts (believe me, this is huge and addictive -- once you've had it, you can't go back). It crashes the whole Treo 650 when I try to delete accounts that I created, and doesn't delete them. Now whenever I sync, it does a bunch of stuff in Hotsync that takes a lot of time.

I'd be happy to switch to VersaMail as soon as they get the bugs and the few interface issues worked out, but it continues to be Snappermail for me even with the extra memory usage.

Tubby
    I wanted to move to VersaMail... but SnapperMail just 'feels' right... I have (seemingly) purchased Snapper twice (the upgrade to enterprise was prety hefty) so until they decide to hit me again, cost isn't an issue. The 1 button check all accounts is excellent the "j" (junk) feature is AWESOME... 1 thing i'd like to see SOON in the t650 update... smaller fonts in the inbox view... not just the mesage view.. allow less leading in the small font... they really could squeeze a lot more text onto the screen... I use eReader and a 12pt font and LOVE it... of course you can't read on a bumpy subway with such tiny text.. ;o(

p.s. I also purchased VersaMail for my t600, those p1 bastards didn't have a demo... but I was really looking for the perfect email client...

I beta tested Chatter for a while... and LOVE the background sending/recieving... awesome... I wish that guy would license his message retrieval code to Snapper...
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg
    For example, Snapper has a one button capability to download all email accounts. Versamail has to go account by account. Another is the ability to junk an email with a single button press while versamail doesn't seem to have this function.
    Just hit the delete key when the msg is hilited.
    Thing I like about Snapper is ability to have multiple accounts that all get mail with one retreival. With Versamail, as far as I can find, I have to get each account separately.