1.    #1  
    Hello all Treo Lovers. I am new here searching for some opinions. I currently own a T-Mobile Sidekick 2, which I enjoy very much. I have always been fond of the Treo 600, but opted to buy a Color Sidekick instead. Anywayz, I was surfing the web one night and stumbled upon information on the Treo 650. Although not much is said about it, I was hoping you guyz here at Treo Central can answer some questions for me.

1. Will the Treo 650 be able to multi task. Such as having different programs open at the same time. Thus, when returning to a specific program it's where and how you left it.

2. Is there any improvements to web access. I found that surfing the web on the Treo 600 is not near as good as on the Sidekick 2.

3. Is email access on par with a push of a button. What I am trying to say is, on the Sidekicks, you can access your email almost instantly. I noticed on the Treo 600 that retrieving email took a bit of patience.

4. Now that the resolution will be upgraded to 320X320 on the Treo 650, will reading on it be improved? And will photo quality also be improved? On the 600, I found that words where a little hard to read, and photos where horrid.

5. Will there be, pitcure caller I'd, downloadable ringtones, customizable backgrounds. Also are the ringtones going to be any louder on the 650. I felt that the ringtones where a little lo in volume and quality.

I have many other questions, but I'll be satisfied with these 5 answered. With that said, can anyone give me any good reasons why I should get a Treo 650 in replace of my Sidekick2. In other words, if you wanted to convince me. That the Treo 650 is better than the Sidekick2.

P.S. I am browsing and posting on this forum from my sidekick2, something that is very tedious on the Treo 600.
    Well... I turned in my sidekick II because I found the web to be unmanageable... email was troublesome, and it took a long time to log in to the network (get to G).
    I really just wanted it to do simple tasks, like read Slate in the mornings... but it wasn't handling that well.
    I've decided to wait for the 650 and see if that solves my problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    Hello all Treo Lovers. I am new here searching for some opinions. I currently own a T-Mobile Sidekick 2, which I enjoy very much. I have always been fond of the Treo 600, but opted to buy a Color Sidekick instead. Anywayz, I was surfing the web one night and stumbled upon information on the Treo 650. Although not much is said about it, I was hoping you guyz here at Treo Central can answer some questions for me.

1. Will the Treo 650 be able to multi task. Such as having different programs open at the same time. Thus, when returning to a specific program it's where and how you left it.
    As the Treo 650 will be running Palm OS 5.4.2 or something to that effect, it will not be able to 'multi-rask', per say. Although, most programs available for Palm retain their settings and are exactly how you left it when you return. Documents to Go is an excellent example of this.

2. Is there any improvements to web access. I found that surfing the web on the Treo 600 is not near as good as on the Sidekick 2.
    Supposedly, yes, web on the 650 is better, using a newer version of the Palm OS web browser. Only time will tell. Also, web browsing depends heavily on the network you are utilizing.

3. Is email access on par with a push of a button. What I am trying to say is, on the Sidekicks, you can access your email almost instantly. I noticed on the Treo 600 that retrieving email took a bit of patience.
    As I haven't used a 650, I really can't say.

4. Now that the resolution will be upgraded to 320X320 on the Treo 650, will reading on it be improved? And will photo quality also be improved? On the 600, I found that words where a little hard to read, and photos where horrid.
    Oh, yes. I currently own a Tungsten|T3, and I can tell you that the HiRes screen is b-e-a-utiful! Both photos and text are crisp and clear.

5. Will there be, pitcure caller I'd, downloadable ringtones, customizable backgrounds. Also are the ringtones going to be any louder on the 650. I felt that the ringtones where a little lo in volume and quality.
    All I can say is I hope so.

I have many other questions, but I'll be satisfied with these 5 answered. With that said, can anyone give me any good reasons why I should get a Treo 650 in replace of my Sidekick2. In other words, if you wanted to convince me. That the Treo 650 is better than the Sidekick2.

P.S. I am browsing and posting on this forum from my sidekick2, something that is very tedious on the Treo 600.
    Just one more thing: Palm OS
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I'll answer most of these questions in the context of the Treo 600, most of which will also apply to the 650...

There is a big difference between multitasking and retaining the state of an application. The Treo 600 can, for example, play an MP3 while you run some other application. It also retains the state of applications, for example, when you go to the calculator or a game application or Ptunes your application retains where you were before you left it.

Can you elaborate here? I find the 600 with webviewer, for example, is not cumbersome at all. Web pages load reasonably fast, the interface allows easy scrolling and web pages look very good.

If you assign your favorite email app to one of the buttons (say the email button), then yes. I use snappermail and it has been great.

Having only seen pictures, the screen resolution of the 650 looks to be excellent. I think the jury is still out on the quality of the camera, however, but initial indications are that it has improved.

Using a third party app, Ringo for example, everything you describe (except customizable backgrounds?) is already available on the 600. Don't know about the volume, but my 600's volume seems acceptable to me...

Again, please elaborate. Also, how much time did you spend working on a Treo 600???

Hope this helps,
    Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 10/19/2004 at 09:55 AM.
    no Java on Sidekick II...Besides that, it sucks!!!!
  6.    #6  
    I'll like to say thanks to those that answered my question. I must say, that I am not trying to nock the Treo 600 or 650, I am highly impressed with both phones. I just felt that certain tasks were more easily accomplished on the SKII. Then again, this is coming from someone who has never owned a treo 600, and has never had the time to really sit down and utilize it. On the other hand, it seems as though in order to make the Treo 600 operate more smoothly is by adding additional third party apps. I was wondering, how much does these third party apps cost {email apps, browsers, Video players and audio players etc.) or are they free. If I decide to go with a Treo 650, I don't want to pay a arm and a leg for a bunch of apps that does what the phone should of done in the first place. Hope that made sense. By the way, I do like the fact that you have a load of third party apps to choose from, unlike the SKII, all apps come from T-Mobiles ripp off catalog and their cheesy.

P.S. Thanks again.....
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Checking email on a 600 is a snap. I have the Mail program set as one of the 4 hardkeys. If you hold the botton down it will automatically poll your account. 1 touch mail checking.
    I did not mean to imply that 3rd party software is necessary. In fact, many of the items you asked about do not require 3rd party apps:

retaining state of an application: built-in
    picture caller ID: built-in when the caller is in your favorites
    downloadable ringtones: midis work without 3rd party apps
    email: the standard mail client is already assigned to one button
    web: blazer is works OK and is not cumbersome, I just like the better speed of webviewer

You also said:

"I found that surfing the web on the Treo 600 is not near as good as on the Sidekick 2."

-and-

"P.S. I am browsing and posting on this forum from my sidekick2, something that is very tedious on the Treo 600."

But I find that these statements lack credibility since you also mention that "this is coming from someone who has never owned a treo 600, and has never had the time to really sit down and utilize it"!?!?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    You also said:

"I found that surfing the web on the Treo 600 is not near as good as on the Sidekick 2."

-and-

"P.S. I am browsing and posting on this forum from my sidekick2, something that is very tedious on the Treo 600."

But I find that these statements lack credibility since you also mention that "this is coming from someone who has never owned a treo 600, and has never had the time to really sit down and utilize it"!?!?
    Well, a friend of mines own a T600, and We compared surfing the web on both his phone and my SKII. And it was clearly obvious that the SKII web acscess is far ahead of the T600 initial web browser (not the webviewer you mention)
    Reasons. Better resolution on SKII, Pitcures came out bigger and more even on SKII, Heavy graphic pages displayed better on the SKII. Words and links were easier to read.

Also, the Kinoma Video player on the T600 is a nice tough, I almost flipped out when I saw that the T600 was capable of doing this ( watching GIJOE on your phone is incredible) but unfortunately the image quality is horrible.

With that said, I am very impressed with the T600, thats why I am considereing the T650. Better resolution, better processor, more memory, better keybord, bluetooth, PC Lync capabilities, and tuns of third party apps to choose from. So I am not bashing the phone, I just felt that the T600 had more room for improvement, and it seams as thought the T650 will be that improvement.
    TCNY,

OK, no worries. I hope you make an informed decision...

Regards,
    Mike