Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...t/data/tcs3500

somebody on hofo is claiming class 10 EDGE can yield speeds up to 200 kbps.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...20#post3919120

this must be burst speeds and even if it's that i'm skeptical, but i confess i don't really understand what different EDGE classes equate to in terms of performance (100thMonkey, anyone?) except that it's probably a safe bet to prefer class 12 to class 10
    Off to iPhone land...
  2.    #2  
    of course this is the chipset i wish they would have included in the 650.

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...t/data/tcs4105

with this i, and others who are fortunate enough to live in the current UMTS markets, (San Francisco, Seattle, Detroit and Phoenix if i'm not mistaken) could be surfing along at 300 kbps next month. unfortunately, we'll have to make do with EDGEs paltry 120 kbps on avg.
    Off to iPhone land...
    EDGE classes (just like GPRS classes) generally refer how many timeslots that can be occupied at any given time, and yes, Class 12 is preferable to Class 10. I think that the Nokia 6230 is class 12. You will also see fewer timeslots for uplink than downlink, just like with internet connections.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with EDGE inclusion, even if Class 10. WCDMA at this point would kill a battery, I mean, easily 3-4 batteries a day for power users. GSM systems do provide nice battery life
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    The 6230 is class 10 EDGE. I did some digging and I believe the difference between class 10 and 12 is 2 vs. 4 upload slots, respectively.

Todd/Indy
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    WCDMA at this point would kill a battery, I mean, easily 3-4 batteries a day for power users. GSM systems do provide nice battery life
    I've heard others comment on how UMTS would munch battery life like no other, but I didn't realize it would be a dramatic increase from GSM. Interesting. If that's the case then it does make UMTS less appealing at this point, although I still definitely want it.
    Off to iPhone land...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    The 6230 is class 10 EDGE. I did some digging and I believe the difference between class 10 and 12 is 2 vs. 4 upload slots, respectively.
    What about download slots? Is it as simple as 12-4 = 8 download slots?

Also, are the number of slots directly proportional to the speed of the upload, so in other words Class 12 should be twice as fast at uploading as Class 10 but with no difference on download speeds?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    I've heard others comment on how UMTS would munch battery life like no other, but I didn't realize it would be a dramatic increase from GSM. Interesting. If that's the case then it does make UMTS less appealing at this point, although I still definitely want it.
    Hehe, GSM suckers. Always 3-4 years behind..
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG
    Hehe, GSM suckers. Always 3-4 years behind..
    Neener, neener, neener, my new GSM Treo 650 will be faster than youuuuuurs

and lighter, and with a longer battery life, and better call quality, and with A-GPS, and... (you get the picture)
    Off to iPhone land...
    Still doesn't change the fact that I've been using 3G on Sprint for the last 2 years while folks with GSM were drooling and wished they didn't use an antique european standard. Faster speeds on EDGE? Questionable; its probably gonna be the same as Sprints WCDMA, i.e. in the 80Kbps effective range. Longer battery life? That's a design issue. My Treo 300 battery died very quickly with WCDMA on, while on my Treo 600 it's barely noticable. Better call quality? Where you got this from I'm not sure. The fact is, CDMA is simply a better underlying base for wireless broadband than TDMA. UMTS disaster proved that.
    I started with the Sprint treo 600 and swithched to T-mobile GSM because of the better international roaming and because sprint customer service drove me batty.

I noticed no difference on the internet speeds on the phone.
    Faster speeds on EDGE? Questionable; its probably gonna be the same as Sprints WCDMA,
    Yo crack addict, get some info straight before you try to sling mud. Sprint uses CDMA2000. It has NEVER used WCDMA and most likely never. BTW, in today's world, UMTS is synomous with WCDMA. Sprint uses a different technology owned by Qualcomm whereas WCDMA is owned mostly by Ericsson. And both are battery hogs compared to GSM

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

as a current sprint user, i gotta agree with 100thmonkey, sprint's never had wcdma.

also, for the user that switched over to t-mobile, stop smoking 'em crack. the speed difference is almost double.

an coworker of mine and i both have treo600 and for about a week or so both of us had to rely on our treo600 as the sole ISP. since we worked on the same project, whenever we go to the same webpage, it loads about twice as fast for me as it did for him. the difference was amazing. although both of us had serious latency issues (which EDGE doesn't address at all, nor does WCDMA, as far as i heard)

now.. regarding the spd differences between EDGE and CDMA2000, what is the top speed on the EDGE service? i can only speak for myself and t-mobile's GSM speed - I get around 80-90kilobit/sec using sprint, he gets around 40-45kilobit/sec using t-mobile's data plan.

i am actually hoping EDGE will be faster, this would be the deciding factor for me to switch over to Cingular. while sprint's customer service is horrendous, Sprint did one thing right - the data network was -amazing- for its time.

Edit: in case ya wondering, you can find out what your phone speed is if you search on dslreports.com for a mobile speed test.

Yo crack addict, get some info straight before you try to sling mud. Sprint uses CDMA2000. It has NEVER used WCDMA and most likely never. BTW, in today's world, UMTS is synomous with WCDMA. Sprint uses a different technology owned by Qualcomm whereas WCDMA is owned mostly by Ericsson. And both are battery hogs compared to GSM
    Last edited by mobilebuddha; 10/19/2004 at 06:27 PM.
    Sigh, damn GSM fanboys. I highly recommend reading this article before confusing terms of CDMA, GSM and TDMA again:
    http://www.techcentralstation.com/102102C.html

P.S. And yes, I was completely wrong in my 2nd post. GSM still sucks though
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebuddha
    now.. regarding the spd differences between EDGE and CDMA2000, what is the top speed on the EDGE service
    again, my understanding is that EDGE consistently clocks in at 120 kbps with slower speeds of 100 and peaks speeds up to 160-180 kbps.
    Off to iPhone land...

P.S. And yes, I was completely wrong in my 2nd post. GSM still sucks though

and its your right to have an opinoin, at least now we are more clear on what your opinoin stands for

"Also, for the user that switched over to t-mobile, stop smoking 'em crack. the speed difference is almost double."

I enjoyed your comment regarding my crack usage. It seems you are very intelligent. I am just stating the facts regarding my usage but I am sure that you know better how my usage was than I.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    sure, once fuel cells improve things will be different, but I think that the current WCDMA handsets get about 5 hours of talktime and maybe 1.5 days standby. It really does eat juice, and those are for regular handsets, not smartphones that are used all day + for browsing

the max attainable speed and class at present with EDGE is Class 10 which translates to 236.6 kbps
    ahhh, drooool,

20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    the max attainable speed and class at present with EDGE is Class 10 which translates to 236.6 kbps
    i hope all the CDMA/Vision data fans out there saw this
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast