1.    #1  
    OK, now that the T650 is almost here, what is the best way to do the data migration dance? Handspring/PalmOne have always advocated doing a HotSync on the old unit, and then a 2nd HotSync on the new one, without any conduit changes (keep on Synchronize). This is a bit of a waste as one needs to really copy the Calendar and PhoneBook etc to the new Treo. Sometimes one also gets some old legacy apps that are dragged along for the ride. The next approach is to set some of the key conduits to Computer overrides Handheld. One needs to be careful, as the new T650 might have some new/updated components/apps that you really need to keep. Another approach is to use a separate backup program (like BackupBuddy VFS) to the SD card, and then copy/restore the info to the new unit.
    Anyone have a better feel for the process?
    I hotsync and then make a copy of the following directory:

C:\Program File\Palm\SR (or user name)\backup It could be listed under Handspring instead of Palm depending upon your original configuration.

and place it on my desktop. This file contains most of the backup'd programs and files there will be some other unique program files such as Documents to Go etc but these usually have their own conduits and can be set to "do nothing" easily.

I then delete everything in this backup directory. Install the new software and then proceed with it's instructions. This process will normally pull in only the contact information and calendar objects that I want but be advised I'm usually syncing with Outlook so if you plan on syncing with the Palm Desktop be certain that you've backup as noted.

This provides for a clean install of only what is intended and or needed.

Everyone has different methods for doing their initial "upgrade" but I've found over the 9 years of using Palm devices that this avoids any conflicts. Be certain that you have all of your registration numbers handy because some of them will not come over using this method. Also, to keep having to buy new software again, I use the same username for the new device. You have to remember though that you can't sync the old device again with the same user name otherwise you will have problems.

This method provides two backups - one on your desktop and one that is still contained in your 600. You can always beam the information over from one device to the other and thus your 100% intact with only minor irritation of re-registering some programs.

I then start adding new programs to the Palm Quick Install - one or two at a time to be certain to catch which ones might be causing program failures. I also install Crash Pro first to catch any issues...hopefully it will work out of the box on OS 5.4.X used on the Treo 650.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    So, if you're using Intelesynch for Palm Desktop 4.1, will the new Treo 650 desktop/Palm change? If so, do you think that Intelesych will still work??
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    look to your soul. it will tell you the 650 is not near.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Looking forward to being able to migrate!

Some advice:
    Be careful migrating calendar items. If the Treo 650 uses the calendar app from the T3, then it will have categories now.
    Hopefully it will NOT have the same bugs that are in the T5 (see here: http://www.pocketfactory.com/archive...g_list_gro.php).

Also, the address database might have changed. I recall that the T3 had a field for "birthdate" that the Treo 600 might not have.

Hopefully the first person that does a successful migration will put all of the proper steps here on TreoCentral!
    I'm looking to start with a fresh 650 and just first sync over the standard databases (calendar, contacts, notes, etc) and then start installing apps a few at a time. The idea of just syncing my whole 600 to the 650 doesn't sound right though. Afraid it could cause problems.

If the 650 does use the updated Calendar app... I've been using DateBk5, and that has categories as well... does anyone know if they are compatible?
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    So, if you're using Intelesynch for Palm Desktop 4.1, will the new Treo 650 desktop/Palm change? If so, do you think that Intelesych will still work??
    The default conduits for the Treo 650, if they use the new enhanced PIM applications, will be overwritten by the install program. It's doubtful that they will work however, you may be given an option of "keeping" the same conduits but Intellisync won't work with the enhanced PIM applications without an upgrade.
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    BackupMan - doesn't address compatibility issues, but is great for a full re-install. When I had to replace my unit (orange spots), BAckupMan had me fully functional in minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Real-ity
    I'm looking to start with a fresh 650 and just first sync over the standard databases (calendar, contacts, notes, etc) and then start installing apps a few at a time. The idea of just syncing my whole 600 to the 650 doesn't sound right though. Afraid it could cause problems.

If the 650 does use the updated Calendar app... I've been using DateBk5, and that has categories as well... does anyone know if they are compatible?

The Datebk5 categories are compatible with my T3 and therefore should be compatible with the enhanced PIM's of the 650, assuming they are the same. However, I'm not certain if they will come over as part of the upgrade process during the installation so you may want to have a backup of your calendar app - just in case.
    Moose Man
  10. noc
    as described above for a PC?