1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is a daft question, but if the Treo 650 supports EDGE (GSM) does that mean that it will the support 3G networks being ramped up in the UK? Orange & Vodafone are advertising 3G mobiles now.

BTW, Orange.co.uk has the Treo 600 listed as "Out of stock" -- so they can't be ordered via the website.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    EDGE is considered a 3G network but it is only one of several so it depends on exactly what Orange and Vodafone are rolling out.
    its on the GSM, not UMTS system
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I manage a GSM network and edge is considered 2.5G. As stated above 3G is umts which is a wideband cdma technology
  5.    #5  
    Ah, I see. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    I manage a GSM network and edge is considered 2.5G. As stated above 3G is umts which is a wideband cdma technology
    I thought GPRS was 2.5 and EDGE was 3G. I think it depends on who you talk to about this. Some say it's 3G and others don't. If you go here http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Te...nter/Articles/ you will see that some folks call EDGE 3G while others don't. I'm not sure where to find the definitive answer.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Just found this that should provide some answers. http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Te.../QA/Edgeqa.cfm
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    Just found this that should provide some answers. http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Te.../QA/Edgeqa.cfm
    I just noticed the following in that document:

What companies offer EDGE products?
    Handsets, PDAs, and customized devices: Intermec, Itronix, LG Electronics, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, palmOne, Panasonic, Research In Motion, Samsung, Siemens, Sierra Wireless, Sony Ericsson

I guessing that palmOne is listed as offering EDGE products because of the Treo 650.
    If you want you can call edge 2.75G lol, but 3g is actually umts or Ev-do depending on the carrier
    laz thanks for the link, you made my point lol better
    Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    If you want you can call edge 2.75G lol, but 3g is actually umts or Ev-do depending on the carrier
    Hmm, I know that 1x CDMA2000 is 3G, but I thought that EV-DO was like, 3.5 or something...
    1xrttt is 2.5g
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

The original definition went something for 3G was something like:

1) Can transmit above 100 kb/s
    2) Uses a CDMA air protocol

So, this includes 1xEV-DO, 1xEV-DV, UMTS for sure. 1xRTT is a little iffy, in that it basically never transfers above 100 kbps (though I've had it happen on occasion). However, by this definition, EDGE is not 3G; it is TDMA-based in the end.

That doesn't mean it's not competitive. 3G is really a marketing term. If there is an EDGE-capable Treo 650, in practical terms you'll have a pretty fast connection, and get the bonus of world-wide roaming. The downside is that ATT/Cingular are likely going to have to charge a lot for EDGE data access because it's incredibly spectrum-intensive, but the fact that it doesn't fit the technical definition of a "3G" phone shouldn't scare you away from it.

Land-line metaphor: T3 lines are about 25 years older in technology than most DSL lines, but, all else being equal, I think most people would choose a T3 line even if it's technologically less cool.
    CDMA2000 is more comparable to edge, so you could say it is 2.75 and ev do or umts is 3g depending on the technology the vender uses.