1.    #1  
    Can anyone explain why the 650 can have EDGE support but not EV-DO? Thanks.
    Because EDGE makes the GSM data speeds almost equivalent to the current data speeds of Sprint and Verizon. That is, this product is leveling the data speeds between GSM and CDMA models.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ... the last I knew, neither Sprint nor Verizon Wireless has EV-DO available nationwide yet, while ATTWS has EDGE nationwide (and possibly Cingular?).... that's just the situation in the US, at least. I am guessing (but don't know) that EDGE has been deployed in other GSM markets even better than here.
  4.    #4  
    aha, thanks for the insight silverado and trellus.
    yea, but i have been told by different sprint business reps that ev-do will be available at the latest q2 05, they said the larger metro areas closer to q1, so that doesn't make much sense unless ev-do is not back compatible with 1xRTT. if that is the case then i see it's not worth it to put out a phone that won't be able to use data until a few months after its release.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    I believe the cost to upgrade the GSM networks to EDGE is significantly less that upgrading the CDMA networks to EV-DO.
    EV-DO is 3G technology and Edge is only 2.5G technology. When the ATT has about 6 markets that have UMTS which is their 3G technology which is a wideband cdma technology. Going from gprs to edge is cheaper for ATT is because they only have to change a few modules at the cell site and switch, where umts they are installing new cabinets which is more costly
    Quote Originally Posted by trellus
    ... the last I knew, neither Sprint nor Verizon Wireless has EV-DO available nationwide yet, while ATTWS has EDGE nationwide (and possibly Cingular?).... that's just the situation in the US, at least. I am guessing (but don't know) that EDGE has been deployed in other GSM markets even better than here.
    Trellus check these links out and you will be "bewildered." Verizon and Sprint have implement EV DO in certain markets.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3857057.htm
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/350-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Trellus check these links out and you will be "bewildered." Verizon and Sprint have implement EV DO in certain markets.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...5/b3857057.htm
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/350-1.htm

One reason I'm sticking with Sprint and foregoing the 650 to wait for an EVDO Treo. Patience is a virtue someone said.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Yeah, I know Verizon Wireless in particular just recently expansion of their EV-DO coverage, with Austin being one of the new markets, but I'm in Dallas, and no EV-DO here. We do have UMTS with AT&T Wireless, but nationwide, the best AT&T has is EDGE... and of course, the 650 will support neither EV-DO nor UMTS, anyway.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    One reason I'm sticking with Sprint and foregoing the 650 to wait for an EVDO Treo. Patience is a virtue someone said.

Yeah. I was planning on getting the 650 upgrade as I MUST have the latest and greatest, but now I'm thinking I may skip this one and wait for the EV-DO version. I'm not known for my patience, but my 600 does everything I need it to do right now (and has done it flawlessly since Dec. '03), and how much longer can it be before we get an EV-DO Treo?? I'm guessing next year sometime....
    Don't know if you saw this but came in my email today. About EV-DO

http://www.sprint.com/business/progr...er04/evdo.html

Do you think the Sprint 650 will take adavantage of this?
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Nope. 1xRTT or EDGE, but not EV-DO.
    The main reason there is no EV-DO is because of their relationship with Sprint. Please understand that developement of the 650 started before the 600 even shipped. Until recently, Sprint was the only CDMA provider that carried the Treo. Making Sprint happy is pretty important to them.

A year ago, Sprint was planning to bypass EV-DO and go straight to EV-DV. Verizon later decided to go EV-DO, and Sprint, feeling the pressure that Verizon would have a higher speed (although not as feature rich) experience before Sprint, decided this summer to go EV-DO so that they would have a network roughly the same time as Verizon. This was too late in the game for Treo to change it's plans.
    Doesn't make sense to have umts or ev do right now. Not enough markets carryining it. Edge and cdma 2000 is nationwide, so by carrying edge will bring them up to the cdma 2000 speeds.
    Didn't I read somewhere that the Verizon 650 was confirmed to be EV DO capable by the palmOne conference call? Anyone have a link to this post...?

Bek
    I had heard from a Sprint rep a while back that the Treo 650 would be evdo capable. Supposedly there will be a firmware upgrade to allow it to connect to the evdo network. That would be pretty cool it it were true.