1.    #1  
    Although it's not as nice as having built-in WiFi, has anyone seen or heard of a WiFi antenna for use with Bluetooth-enabled devices? In other words, Treo 650 talks Bluetooth to the device, and the device talks WiFi to the LAN. This would let you avoid having to insert anything into the SD slot, and you could carry the Bluetooth-WiFi link device in your pocket/briefcase/backpack since it'd be working wirelessly.
    Elsewhere there's been comment that Enfora was looking at making one, but I can't find anything else about a Bluetooth-WiFi gateway. I know Bluetooth would limit bandwidth, and the new Treo will support Edge, but it'd be nice to avoid data charges (Rogers in Canada prices outrageously).
    http://www.blueunplugged.com/Product...eway_PX20.aspx

Unfortunately it is prohibitively expensive at 500 british pounds. Plus you have to find a company that will ship it to the U.S.A. assuming you are here.

I wish someone else would offer a competitive product myself...
    Same things stateside. I remember seeing one for $380+ at PCConnection in the last few months - may as well switch PDA's and/or carriers.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Belkin offers their Bluetooth Access Point with USB Print Server. While it does not offer WiFi, if you have a WiFi router with an Ethernet hub/switch, plug it in there and you'll be all set.

It's $199.99 directly from Belkin, but you can use Coupon #21619 to get 50% off, so only $100 plus tax & shipping. Now if only my Treo 600 had Bluetooth....

Belkin Bluetooth Access Point with USB Print Server

50% Off at Belkin.com in October
    You can also enable your main PC at home to allow access through a bluetooth adapter. Belkin's bluetooth adapters work fine with this approach
    Quote Originally Posted by sgraff
    Belkin offers their Bluetooth Access Point with USB Print Server. While it does not offer WiFi, if you have a WiFi router with an Ethernet hub/switch, plug it in there and you'll be all set.

It's $199.99 directly from Belkin, but you can use Coupon #21619 to get 50% off, so only $100 plus tax & shipping. Now if only my Treo 600 had Bluetooth....

Belkin Bluetooth Access Point with USB Print Server

50% Off at Belkin.com in October

I would stay away from this Belkin product. I found the following in amazon.com

"One caveat about the range:
    This is a "Class 1" Bluetooth device (Belkin Bluetooth Access Point) with an output power of 100mW, which will indeed have a 100m range, but ONLY if the other device is also Class 1. All mobile devices (phones, PDAs) I know of are Class 2, with an output power of 2.5mW and a maximum free air range of 25m, effectively meaning "same room" indoors. Class 1 Bluetooth would drain the battery of a mobile device too fast. This one of the weaknesses of WiFi (30-100mW output power) - a WiFi card needs more power than a PocketPC (let alone a Palm) and will cut your battery time in half or less. "

Now this is what a Palm user says:

"I bought this device to communicate from any room in my house with my tungsten|w (which has its own issues). The devices will only connect in the same room. There are no wi-fi solutions for this palm, so I'm stuck. Technology is letting me down. I'm becoming Amish. "

I guess we will have to wait for somebody to say that the Treo 650 will work with a SD WiFi card.

Al
    Here is a something you may want to consider. I used it with the original Tungsten and it work nicely.

http://www.pico.net/products.html
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by RLewis
    Here is a something you may want to consider. I used it with the original Tungsten and it work nicely.

http://www.pico.net/products.html
    I couldn't find a price. Do you know what it goes for?
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    You can also enable your main PC at home to allow access through a bluetooth adapter. Belkin's bluetooth adapters work fine with this approach
    Yes, check this link out:
    http://www.whizoo.com/bt_setup/

And Google search on "bluetooth internet". You can search for "Bluetooth" on PriceWatch.com ... there are tons of $20 USB Bluetooth adapters listed. This is probably the 1st thing I'll get setup on my 650!
    How is that done?
    The D-Link Bluetooth-to-LAN Access Point works great. You can find it for $59.95 here. Linksys also has an access point, but it will run you about $140.
    "Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." - Stewart Brand
    The killer app for me would be a portable version...i.e., wifi adapter to bluetooth adapter, all in one, battery powered...hook into wifi at the hotel, cafe, etc.....at least until the wifi SD card comes along. Probably not much of a market, though, since I'd guess most wireless enabled pdas have wifi built in. Someone remind me how we T650 users missed out on that boat???
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Sadly, any bluetooth adapter that uses Widcomm drivers won't d Bluetooth lan access if the pc is running Windows Server 2003... which my desktop is. Anyone know of any blutooth adaptor that can allow shared access and still run under 2003 Server?

I think this may be my first post - forgive me if someone covered this.

First off

My Linksys bluetooth USB adapter has STB ok it is Dead as dead can be- (recognized easily but dropped fast in legit XP pro 32 bit over a 64bit dual core AMD X2)

This linksys adapter in it's day was able to give me BLuetooth access with my treo from my home outside down the block from my apartment and I was 6 stories up in Brooklyn. (pure 32bit hardware)

I had fullest allowable speed from my PC to my phone 3 floors down within the same building - structurely this made sense - the walls had the issues but the floors were all Wood and thin cement and plaster as well as replaced sheetrock pieces throughout. Anyway I digress. however that was my optimal bluetooth arrangement at the time for my 650.

I now use a old unnamed billionton type of PCMCIA adapter in my laptop. I built my laptop from Parts People and put Dell 8200 or something equivelant wireless in it.

the card allows for LAN through bluetooth. I share out my wireless from my Laptop to the bluetooth. and the treo still gets decent access around my home area. - When slingbox releases their palm client (beta testing now) I can't wait!!!

the range is much poorer with the card than with the linksys USB. I plan on replacing this. -

Ultimately a BLuetooth LAN driver and some code for PPC WM5 devices that can handle it would be nice - that brings the sharing device down to a small pda size and the treo could pick up the internet from your WIFI sharing on the PPC .
    PPC in the case or pack and the treo in the holster. sweet!

Laptop is ok but ugh! not cargo pocketable.

Small credit card sized maybe thicker - all in one linux based hardware with b&W LCD d-pad and a few function buttons - wifi 802.11x to bluetooth gateway. battery operated and adapter capable . internal pull out antenna. built in signal finder. usb connect to PC so you can program hotspots and access points or dpad and function access. mobile feature * auto access closest, free wifi with medium promiscuity by default maybe?. and feed it to the bluetooth access point.
    The psp is almost hacked well enough to rig this with nothing to scare you from trying - it's already doing bluetooth telephony dongle hacks for VOIP in SOCOM NAVY seals - other way is for the psp headset(wired) - the software is there but it's not for VOIP strictly.

so passing wifi access with a different type of bluetooth device for internet access is close to that market too PSP Wifi to TREO via bluetooth

A workable solution - Your laptop with the linksys adapter - or the adapter and all your accesable PC's with the installed and needed software to pass the internet to your treo . WORK internet - USB bluetooth and software = treo internet at work - USB access from any PC - if you can stick a SD card in and install software - you could setup a small bluetooth thin client access app - the previous post to mine hits a strong notion - put all the software on the USB trinket and it does all the work wherever you plug it in - no software to install maybe...

Sorry - I'm so long winded - I love my treo - who doesn't
    Last edited by Scrufboy; 02/08/2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: adding a notion
    Quote Originally Posted by From_WI View Post
    How is that done?

THen Follow the above posted instructions http://www.whizoo.com/bt_setup/ this is the thinnest and best solution.

M-router also works when you haven't been able to fix WINDOWS XP BLuetooth CRAP but it's bloat so FIX XP and use the simplest thinnest options to access.
    Last edited by Scrufboy; 02/08/2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: slapped self for redundancy
    Quote Originally Posted by From_z3bum
    Widcomm and Bluetooth over WIndows server 2003?
    Server 2003 shouldn't have anything different by way of bluetooth than XP so try this:

WORKAROUND
    To work around this issue and to successfully install the third-party driver for your Bluetooth adapter, use one of the methods that is described in the following sections.

Method 1: Rename the Bth.inf file
    Rename the %WINDIR%\inf\Bth.inf file to Bth.bak before you install or reinstall the third-party device or stack. When you rename the file, you prevent Windows Plug and Play PNP from using that INF file to install the Bluetooth driver that is included with Windows XP SP2. To rename the file, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\inf in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click Bth.inf, and then click Rename.
    3. Rename Bth.inf to Bth.bak, and then press ENTER.
    4. Install the third-party Bluetooth driver.

Method 2: Update the Bluetooth driver in Device Manager
    To replace the Windows XP SP2 installation of the Bluetooth stack, update the driver in Device Manager. When you do this, specify your third-party driver. To update the driver in Device Manager, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the device.
    3. Right-click the device, and then click Update Driver.
    4. Follow the steps that appear on the screen in the Hardware Update Wizard to specify your third-party driver for the Bluetooth device.
    Last edited by Scrufboy; 02/08/2007 at 12:44 PM.