Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Did anyone snag the article before it got pulled?
    Looks like someone got caught with thier hand in the cookie jar...
    RegFd does not require it. Product upgrades to the nature brought forth in the 650 does not require a RegFd.

Seperate note. Nice upgrade comments by JP Morgan on P1 today. Stock up 8%. Treo 650 release was no doubt a factor.
    Here it comes.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    sure did. i dont think this was a ploy for more buzz unless they WANT people to have aneurysms of expectation.

October 18, 2004
    PalmOne Releases 'Smarter' Treo 650
    By Susan Kuchinskas

PalmOne (Quote, Chart) unveiled a spate of new features in the Treo 650, including improved e-mail and networking support.

While PalmOne has added an MP3 player and Bluetooth (define) support, the goal with this release was to improve upon a good thing, said Greg Shirai, director of product marketing for the Milpitas, Calif.-based Palm spin-off.

"I think we've listened," Shirai said. Users were generally quite happy with the smartphone, he said, but they did have a wish list: a better camera, higher-resolution display, Bluetooth and a removable battery. PalmOne added those, along with some enhancements to the software and tweaks to the hardware.

"It's a better Treo 600," he said.

The new device retains the Treo form factor, with a color screen atop a mini QWERTY keyboard. The display is 320 by 320 pixels for greater clarity and resolution. The keyboard has been arranged in a slight "smile," allowing for slightly larger and flatter keys with larger symbols on them. The two most-used buttons, Menu and Launcher, were moved above the keyboard on either side of the navigation control, while Send and End buttons have been added.

"Now, all the keys are within thumb reach," Shirai said.

The 650 has a removable battery, so that users can pack two batteries instead of the charger. More important, Flash memory storage not only accommodates battery switching, but ensures that data won't be lost if the charge is.

The camera includes a 2X digital zoom and takes better pictures in low-light situations. There's a mirror for snapping self-portraits. PalmOne improved the camera interface for greater usability and to support the new zoom function.

While Bluetooth hasn't taken off in the United States as it has in Europe, its wireless connectivity to peripherals will become more important, Shirai said, as high-end auto makers install Bluetooth in "smart cars" that, among other features, allow drivers to cradle the mobile phone and make hands-free telephone calls while driving.

One hardware change may not be so popular with Treo fanatics eager to upgrade. The cable connector has been changed to match that used by the Tungsten line; therefore, accessories purchased for use with the Treo 600 won't fit.

Shirai said the company wanted to standardize the part across the product lines, as well as to use a more modern connector. "The older connector was about four years old, and it was out of spec." Worse, the old connector doesn't support audio out, making it incompatible with those smart cars.

To support and encourage use of the 650's multimedia capabilities, a new messaging application, developed by PalmOne, combines multimedia and text messaging, making it easy to include audio, photos and short video clips in messages from within one interface.

A new e-mail application, VersaMail, supports Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, IMAP and POP. The 600 supports only IMAP.

"We now support Exchange Server out of the box," Shirai said. "If your IT department has turned on Exchange 2003, you can now wirelessly synch your calendar and e-mail." Thanks to the agreement with Microsoft, Shirai said that the 650 now supports most consumer and enterprise e-mail applications.

An interoperability deal between PalmSource and Research in Motion could complete the picture. "We are very eager for PalmSource to finish RIM," Shirai said, "because this is the ideal platform for their e-mail. When we have that, we feel that across the board we will have the most comprehensive choices."

While PalmOne is known as the hardware spin-off from the company formerly known as Palm, in fact, the company designs much of the software for its products, which include the budget Zire line of PDAs, the professional-grade Tungsten and the Treo smartphone series. PalmOne also includes Handspring, acquired by Palm in 2003. PalmSource, the other spin-off from Palm, maintains the Palm operating systems and works with third-party developers.

"Most of our engineers are software engineers," Shirai said. "All the telephony libraries, the carrier customization and all the carrier-specific applications were originally handled by Handspring and now by PalmOne. On the wireless side, we are ahead of what PalmSource has developed."

The Treo 650 will first become available through wireless carriers. Although PalmOne hasn't disclosed which telcos will offer the 650, it will be released in two flavors: a CDMA/1XRTT dual-band radio that can be used over the Verizon and Sprint networks, and a quad-band GSM with EDGE support, the GPRS protocols used by AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile.

Shirai said that carriers should announce the availability of the 650 in the next few weeks, with the product actually available before the holiday shopping season.
    Thanks!
    Well, looks our "loyalty upgrade" program has gone the way of the dodo. Oh well, I guess the fact that I still intend to buy one ASAP proves that they don't really need it to entice the "geek" factor segment like me! That's fine, just tell me when I can fork over the cash, buckos!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Hmmm? Dr Doom, has you sign on tag had an effect on the things you post? I just went to Sprint and logged on and the upgrade program is still there.
    Try again...
    What is the link that you are using to find the upgrade program?
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    sigh of relief
    Monkey, I couldn't have said it any better myself
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    What is the link that you are using to find the upgrade program?
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ue...UpgradeProgram

From the site:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sprint PCS New For You™ Upgrade Program Sprint makes it easy for our customers to stay on the cutting edge of wireless technology. With the Sprint PCS New For You™ Upgrade Program, you can receive a mail-in rebate of up to $150 off select new Sprint PCS Phones and Devices every 18 consecutive months. Restrictions apply. See terms and conditions at ...
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    RegFd does not require it.
    Not to beat what is now apparently a semi-dead horse, however...

If PLMO is talking to a single reporter (or analyst) about an upcoming product including totally-unreleased details and what amounts to marketing opinions thereof, then I'm pretty sure they have to tell the world the same thing due to RegFD.

That's what an 8K is for.

I think it needs to be filed soon - like by today.

======

I am wrong - checked the SEC site. The SEC reduced the scope of RegFD to apply to securities folks pretty much exclusively thus revealing all to a reporter, directly or indirectly, is "usually" not a problem:

-- http://www.sec.gov/rules/final/33-7881.htm

Of course, if PLMO wants to TOTALLY protect their butts they could simply file the 8K.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/19/2004 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added the update below the ======
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Monkey, I couldn't have said it any better myself
    really, I just knew that you would holler about the lack of WCDMA, but I am glad that you are pleased too! I'mk buying as sson as I can...and (yeah for us!) I heard that AWS and Sprint will be the first two carriers---still rumour though
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Not to beat what is now apparently a semi-dead horse, however...

If PLMO is talking to a single reporter (or analyst) about an upcoming product including totally-unreleased details and what amounts to marketing opinions thereof, then I'm pretty sure they have to tell the world the same thing due to RegFD.

That's what an 8K is for.

I think it needs to be filed soon - like by today.
    Or else what? Why don't you, just this once, complete a thought so that the rest of us stupid people don't have to guess what it is you are getting at.

fyi, I work on wall street but am not convinced we will be reading about PLMO's violations anytime soon.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Does working on Wall Street mean anything? I understand there are quite a few hotdog vendors working on Wall Street.

[violating RegFD and having an enforcement action made against you by the SEC is generally a handslap but still consdered a no-no]
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Does working on Wall Street mean anything? I understand there are quite a few hotdog vendors working on Wall Street.

[violating RegFD and having an enforcement action made against you by the SEC is generally a handslap but still consdered a no-no]

Nah.. No hotdogs. I'm the guy hawking all the WTC artwork on the corner of Wall and William.

Like I said in my email, I don't expect to be reading about any violations. Thanks for confirming.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I think what Dr. Doom was referring to was the loyalty upgrade those of us who owned Treo300's received when we upgraded to the Treo600 last October. It was a great deal - I forget what it was - $299 or $399 - which after selling my T300 on e-bay made it almost a wash.

The $150 doesn't help much if you're a T600 owner because you purchased it less than 18 months ago..
    Way to go, BleacherBum. Unfortunately, SV is a day trader who is generally not concerned with the facts, just rumors and innuendos.

I am afraid that your kind advice is falling on deaf ears.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    really, I just knew that you would holler about the lack of WCDMA, but I am glad that you are pleased too! I'mk buying as sson as I can...and (yeah for us!) I heard that AWS and Sprint will be the first two carriers---still rumour though
    i am definitely pleased! EDGE makes upgrading to the 650 a no-brainer.

that's interesting that AT&T is going to beat Cingular to market with the 650. where did you hear that? also, the big question i have is how the closing of the AT&T/Cingular merger will impact existing Cingular users (like me) and whether we'll soon be able to start using AT&T's EDGE network at Cingular MediaWorks prices ($19.95/mos for unlim data, 1500 sms, and 200 mms)?
    Off to iPhone land...
    i am definitely pleased! EDGE makes upgrading to the 650 a no-brainer.

that's interesting that AT&T is going to beat Cingular to market with the 650. where did you hear that? also, the big question i have is how the closing of the AT&T/Cingular merger will impact existing Cingular users (like me) and whether we'll soon be able to start using AT&T's EDGE network at Cingular MediaWorks prices ($19.95/mos for unlim data, 1500 sms, and 200 mms)?
    no sign of EV-DO for sprint, but edge for gsm. not good for me!
    the big question i have is how the closing of the AT&T/Cingular merger will impact existing Cingular users (like me) and whether we'll soon be able to start using AT&T's EDGE network at Cingular MediaWorks prices ($19.95/mos for unlim data, 1500 sms, and 200 mms)?
    I think I answered my own question with a visit to hofo. Apparently if you can roam on AT&T you are also roaming on their data network. So as long as Cingular 650 owners still have the option of "Select Network", we should be able to switch over to EDGE even before the merger closes.

But I've also heard that AT&Ts network will be opened up to Cingular customers as of Nov 1.

Us GSM users sure have a lot to cheer about in the coming weeks.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    no sign of EV-DO for sprint, but edge for gsm. not good for me!
    I still think an earlier response is correct - Edge on GSM merely gets you Sprint Vision type speeds. Not until we get to true 3G (EV-DO and EV-DV) will you see the 300-500 kbs rates we're really looking for.

You're not really losing anything yet with the Treo 650, they're just now catching up to ur Sprint Vision programs.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast