1. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    My 7 month old Treo 600 is biting the dust. the "a" key is typing "q". Anyway, I went to my Sprint store and they ordered a replacememt for me. It is going to be refurbished. I remember reading about things to watch out for when you get a refurbished replacement, but my searches have yielded nothing. Can I borrow from the vast body of experience of this forum?

Thanks
    Good luck Joe. I'm an early adopter and I'm on my first replacement and it's been a few months now. I think you just have to just make sure it works properly while it is still under warranty. These units are pieces of electronics and there is really no guarantee that they will work flawlessly, forever. That's why the warranty and insurance is important.

BTW, I've got to take mines in today for a diagnostic check. Hopefully they will replace it with a newer unit just in time to resell it for the T650 release.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  3. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I do have the warrenty and the insurance. I just remember posts talking about problems with refurbished units. I went through 7 sidekicks before I got my (sprint) treo 300. my 300 still works. It seems like refurbished units often come with someone else's problems. I guess I just need to put it through its paces as soon as I get it.

Good luck on your diagnostic. I was pretty happy with the Sprint store. I went in and in about 30 seconds they were issuing the replacement order. I kind of expected to be grilled on the problem, but I was not.
    Assuming you purchased an original on 1/1/2004, and I get a replacement today, I would assume the warranty is only good until 1/1/2005 right?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Assuming you purchased an original on 1/1/2004, and I get a replacement today, I would assume the warranty is only good until 1/1/2005 right?
    Good question. I have had replacements for other electronics that have worked both ways. (only being good from the original purchase date or starting over from the date of replacement) I will have to ask the Sprint guy when I get my replacement.
    that is my expecation thou.

or they would say the refurb unit has 90 days warranty or till end of your original warranty, whichever is longer.
    Well guess what? I went into the Sprint store for my Treo's diagnostic while I was at the movies and when I returned I asked my Rep if he knew anything about the new Treo 650 (which he referred to as the Ace). He said "oh yeah" and pulled out this print out Promo sheet and took a look at it. Me being me, I asked to see it and he handed it over to me! Price: MRSP is $549, with BT, without a flash! Now who's your GeekyMama!

(Oh yeah, you know I wanted to take a pic, but didn't think his friendly demeanor would stretch that far).

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I can't speak for anyone other than Sprint, but their warranty (last time I checked about a year ago) was 1 year on all phones bought new. If you get a replacement phone you get 6 months on it or the original warranty, whichever is longer.
  9. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    I can't speak for anyone other than Sprint, but their warranty (last time I checked about a year ago) was 1 year on all phones bought new. If you get a replacement phone you get 6 months on it or the original warranty, whichever is longer.
    Mmm.. that seems reasonable. I'll just have to make sure everything's kosher within that time period.

Gekymom, don't be causing temptation! I don't have $549 to drop on a new phone.
    Now Joe, I'm not Eve and I can't make you bite the apple!

As for warranties, I got yet another reconditioned one today and they said it comes with a 6 month warranty.