1.    #1  
    Well, as an early adapter, I guess I should be used to getting taken advantage of. I bought Verizon's PalmOne Treo 600 the first day it came out - over a year after all of the other major cell-phone carriers released it. My plan is 400 anytime minutes, unlimited in-network calling, unlimited nights and weekend, and $5 for Internet access a month. Unless I go over, it should cost me $49.95 a month. I just got my first bill.

$1,641.66.

It turns out that the connection to the Internet doesn't shut off - even if you chose "Disconnect" from the web browser's menu. Even if you turn off the unit. It continues to ping the Internet looking for data every six minutes. Hence my bill show some 1023-minute calls.

Steve in Verizon's data division said they've received a lot of calls on this issue and isn't sure why they even offer the $5 web-only feature, when customers need to get the $49.95/month unlimited data transfer or deal with $1,000-plus monthly bills. When I asked if there was a way to stop the pinging every six minutes, I was told no, "it's a data phone first and a cell phone second."

Interesting, as my friends who have the phone with other carriers have never had this problem. Interesting, as I was never told this when I bought it. All I wanted was a freakin' cell/PDA combo, so I don't have to carry both with me, making me look like I'm sporting a chubby in two pockets at once. With Verizon, the cost for doing so is $44.95 plus your calling plan a month, which for me will come to about $100.

After 58 minutes, I was told my bill should be adjusted within 24 to 48 hours.

Also, on Verizon Wireless's PalmOne Treo 600 Smartphone web page it lists a 5 MB transfer for only $24.95. When I asked the technical rep about that option, he said getting it would still cause a Treo 600 owner's bill to be over $1,000 a month. He said it was up there for use with other phones. He had no answer when I said there are no other phones on that page.

Now, I probably could return the Treo 600 - except I already sold my old phone and Palm on eBay.

Of course, if I could just get a free minute for every time I heard "Oh, that's the new phone. I'm not familiar with it" none of this would be an issue.

Recently I learned that you can can disconnect from the Preferences > Network screen. It seems to work, but before I eschew my $49.99 data service for the $5 web service and risk seeing my bill go to $1,000 again, I wanted to verify this information. Does anyone know if disconnect that way works?

Thanks!
    umm as long as you won't have the wireless sync and you click disconnect your phone will never auto connect to the internet. I've been using a treo on verizon for over 6 months because I had a converted sprint phone first and now a real verizon one and have never had an overage charge. I keep reading all these posts about how verizon is screwing them over and this and that and I think it's quite funny that people don't realize how to disconnect from the internet. People think that just cause the data arrows are a different color that they won't be charged for internet.
  3.    #3  
    After using the Treo for a short time I realized how to disconnect - it's just that Verizon doesn't realize Treo users can disconnect. I called today to check with them the best they could offer was to kill web/text/data services all together. As I don't use them that much, I figured it wasn't worth the $50 and killed it. THey don't offer the $5 web-only service at all anymore.
    zach

the other option is to get snapper mail and it will disconnect everytime it checks for mail.

jim
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin3
    umm as long as you won't have the wireless sync and you click disconnect your phone will never auto connect to the internet. I've been using a treo on verizon for over 6 months because I had a converted sprint phone first and now a real verizon one and have never had an overage charge. I keep reading all these posts about how verizon is screwing them over and this and that and I think it's quite funny that people don't realize how to disconnect from the internet. People think that just cause the data arrows are a different color that they won't be charged for internet.
    Actually, the problem here is your preception. I don't believe users should have to "learn" how to disconnect from the internet. This should be automatic. I am a firm believer that its the software developers responsibility to make products easier to use. If a user uses a program that uses internet, its easy to see that there would be internet usage durring that time. If they are not using the program, the phone shouldn't constantly use the internet connection.

The 2nd problem here is Verizon. While they have the best reception of any provider in the USA, they are so old school. Its silly that they are charging for little pings from the phone. I can say that I am gladly on Tmobile, unlimited internet for $19.99/month and never an overage charge. As a matter of fact, the bills they send also make sense. Never have I recieved some confusing bill with charges that only can be explained by the phone company. I want things plain and simple, easy to use. I don't believe I am alone.
    I haven't even tried out web feature of the phone yet. Before I do, can someone tell me how to disconnect so I don't get hit with these charges?
    This is why Sprint is great... 10.00 a month for unlimited data and picture mail !
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My biggest complaint about this phone is that I have been getting more voicemails than ever and my Boss who paid for the phone complains about this as well. When a coworker calls me I want the phone to interrupt whatever I am doing to receive the call.
    I was reading a similar post that had a link to:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&SID=9AEEBD3B-CF18-AC90-837555658AD7DE98&PartnerREF=&prodID=53537[/URL]

The fact that this software turns off the connection automatically when not in use so calls will go through rather than going to voicemail sold me on the idea.

I bought it. $10. We will see if it was well spent.
    Ah another screwed version customer, welcome to the club. I'm so pissed about this that I have been talking to some lawyers, the situation is simple beyond intolerable, and I simple can not belive they are insane enough to think they can force completly unecsary data plans off on anyone who buys a treo to supoprt their initiated network activity.
  10.    #10  
    I called Verizon - again - and spoke with someone who sounded as if he knew what he was talking about. I killed my data service altogether - while I liked it, my main purpose of getting the 600 was so that I wouldn't have to carry around both a cell and a PDA. The web/data access was a nice bonus. Killing the web, however, also means I can't get text messages as they use the same network - you don't even have the option of paying for a text-message service

A few days later I noticed I hadn't received any voice mails in a while, which was strange as my friends and I are huge Red Sox fans, so I'd expect to hear from a lot of them. I dialed up my voice mail - 18 new messages and no indicator had ever appeared. Three more calls to Verizon made it clear that they'd killed that feature too when they killed the data functions. They were able to fix it.
    I thought verizon offered text and/or pix packages independent of the 'data' packages? It does get confusing with their different plans.
    I'm so glad Verizon has tested their services with the Treo 600 for the Last year and make sure all customer experiences would be so positive! !@#!# Verizon.... If this is the case just release the Damn 650 now and lets us CONTINUE to TEST your services for you!

Sorry had to vent a little. Feel much better now...
    Bopper, what software are you referring to? for $10. thanks
    I'm confused. I also had this problem the first month, but not the second. I'm not using wireless sync at all. Am I correct in understanding that if I dont' use wireless sync, it's not a problem? Or, is it always a problem, even if I'm not ever going to connect to the net. I rely on my text messages for discreet contact with family, so I don't want to kill all web services.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin3
    merlin3, I do realize how to disconnect; I'm actually a software developer and have had experience developing in the Palm OS. My Treo 600 from Verizon makes data calls on its own. I work in a classified environment and need to leave my cell phone in the car. I have had several data bills, calls supposedly during work (like the one from last Friday for 111 minutes) and I am technical savvy, do not have any 3rd party e-mail applications and just want a phone that acts as a PIM with the option to connect to the internet. Every time I call Verizon they insist that the data plan will fix the problem, I insist on refusing to pay for a data plan that I hardly used. They also try to make me disconnect the data; I didn't pay a few hundred dollars for a phone that won't give me the data option. Verizon also claims that the phone makes data connections to Verizon occasionally. Yea, for 111, 360, and even 503 minuets at a time. B.S. Verizon, you're barely the number one carrier now. If you don't stop porking your customers, they are going to leave. I love the reception, but during my 11 years with CellularOne & Cingular Iíve never dealt with this. Look for a Verizon compliant Blog soon.
    z_everson .. a hint that might help thing be a bit better.
    Instead of carrying your phone and pda in seperate pockets (creating a weird two chubby look) try putting them both in the same pocket!
    Good Luck
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon