Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone name a city where GSM data speeds are superior to CDMA on a Treo 600.

My Hypothesis: TreoCentral members believe CDMA 1xRTT is superior in data speeds to GSM (GPRS).

Is there better GSM service in any of these cities listed below?

New York City: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    San Francisco: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Denver: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    San Diego: Best Treo carrier: Verizon CDMA
    Minneapolis: Best Treo carrier: Sprint CDMA
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Any city where it would be faster would be an anomaly given the current hardware (non-EDGE) in the T600. If the T650 supports EDGE there may be a period where GSM with EDGE will be faster (until CDMA-EDVO is available).
  3. pjs
    Brussels
    Last edited by pjs; 10/15/2004 at 08:32 PM.
    There's cdma in the benelux area?
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by batoje
    I travel all the western states for the majority of my work week and I have never been disappointed by the TMO GSM network coverage. Actually in comparision to my colleagues who use Sprint CDMA the coverage is better in some of the "booney" areas because of TMO roaming agreements. Along major interstates I can leave my laptop "online" through a bluetooth connection and forget about it.
    Earlier in the tread someone mentioned convergence devices. In Asia, where I spend the other part of my work week, they already have phones that do both CDMA and GSM.
    I guess I am biased on the GSM side because in the times I expected to be disappointed I was actually pleasantly surprised. One time I sent heafty megapix photos with only one bar on my phone!
    I respect your bias Batoje given your job demands. However, I'd like it if you would name a city. I think it would create an interesting dialogue. Perhaps PalmOne/AT&T/Cingular/TMo are listening.
    London, Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, Madrid, Vienna, Moscow,
    Athens, Sydney, Wellington, Singapore, Lisboa, Amsterdam,
    Den Haag, Kopenhaven,

/ no CDMA-service at all - can be found at many many important places on planet /

just to name some larger cities - so take the GSM version -
    and you will have the 99% planetwide fast working data smartphone

< / Markus >
    Last edited by MarkusSchneider; 10/16/2004 at 07:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusSchneider
    London, Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, Madrid, Vienna, Moscow,
    Athens, Sydney, Wellington, Singapore, Lisboa, Amsterdam,
    Den Haag, Kopenhaven,

/ no CDMA-service at all - can be found at many many important places on planet /

just to name some larger cities - so take the GSM version -
    and you will have the 99% planetwide fast working data smartphone

< / Markus >
    Please!

Handspring (before the merger) admitted that international sales of the Treo were lame compared to stateside sales. Sorry to be so parochial, but how many of us here in the US travel frequently enough to justify worrying about international GSM service.

I'd like to see some posters tell us GSM (with or without Edge) is better in any major US city than CDMA.

By the way, I don't think you're right on "planetwide" anyway unless you're excluding the far east, which I understood was heavily moving to CDMA or proprietary variants thereof.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Look 1x RTT no matter which way you put it, is faster than GPRS...if it wasnt 1x RTT, GPRS should be faster

however as North America is 1x RTT, chances are you will never see a GPRS connection faster than a 1x RTT

(Also, BB is somewhat different to the rule)
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38

New York City: Best Treo carrier: AWS GSM
    Chicago: Best Treo carrier: T-Mobile GSM
    yes, there are better carriers. Not for data, but for voice quality. for voice, CDMA sucks
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Can anyone name a city where GSM data speeds are superior to CDMA on a Treo 600.

My Hypothesis: TreoCentral members believe CDMA 1xRTT is superior in data speeds to GSM (GPRS).

Well, sort of: Any city, any place where you can get wi-fi, which is becoming ubiquitous. Can you name a city where you can get wi-fi on a CDMA device -in any city?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.

Just thought I'd point out a minor flaw in your hypothesis. 1xRTT is 3G networking. GSM is 2G at best, GPRS which is an extension of GSM is 3G. So really, 1xRTT is better than GSM, but possibly equivelent or negligably better than GPRS. I got into a massive "fight" with the FCC about this. I wound up creating and distributing a document on why the FCC might be a Windows Automated Response System, but that's another story. Either way, it cannot be doubted that 1xRTT is far better than GSM Data, on a global spectrum. For example, in India, the folks at Ambani, who run a CDMA network is much faster than AirTel who run a GSM network. GSM data calls will only allow you to access GSM capable websites. When I was using a SET610 in Mumbai, Delhi, and Rajkot, I could access only such websites as mobile.rediff.com but not vsnl.net. With 1xRTT networking you can access the almost anything on the web, as opposed to almost nothing with GSM. GPRS on the other hand is different. So could you please clarify as to whether you mean GPRS, the extension of GSM, or GSM itself. Thanks.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  12.    #12  
    Treo600, I meant GPRS as an extension to GSM hence GSM (GPRS) is what I wrote in my original link above. CDMA is not equivalent to GSM GPRS or EDGE technologies. This is bore out at AT&T's own website: http://http://supportattws.primus.co...pt=EDGE#Goto61

Rodolfo, I am not talking about 802.11 WIFI. WIFI is still very local area networking related. You don't access WIFI while driving down the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreo600
    Just thought I'd point out a minor flaw in your hypothesis. 1xRTT is 3G networking. GSM is 2G at best, GPRS which is an extension of GSM is 3G. So really, 1xRTT is better than GSM, but possibly equivelent or negligably better than GPRS. I got into a massive "fight" with the FCC about this. I wound up creating and distributing a document on why the FCC might be a Windows Automated Response System, but that's another story. Either way, it cannot be doubted that 1xRTT is far better than GSM Data, on a global spectrum. For example, in India, the folks at Ambani, who run a CDMA network is much faster than AirTel who run a GSM network. GSM data calls will only allow you to access GSM capable websites. When I was using a SET610 in Mumbai, Delhi, and Rajkot, I could access only such websites as mobile.rediff.com but not vsnl.net. With 1xRTT networking you can access the almost anything on the web, as opposed to almost nothing with GSM. GPRS on the other hand is different. So could you please clarify as to whether you mean GPRS, the extension of GSM, or GSM itself. Thanks.
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/18/2004 at 02:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ...has UMTS data on AT&T Wireless, which is faster than aything offered by the CDMA carriers here -- with the asterisk being that Verizon Wireless has EV-DO at the airports (supposedly). However, UMTS is city/metro-wide, so we are one city where GSM data speeds are fastered than the CDMA offerings.
    UMTS is WCDMA, it is not GSM.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Correct, UMTS is WCDMA -- however, this is the not what the CDMA carriers are offering, it's what the GSM carriers are offering, and according to UMTS World (http://www.umtsworld.com/technology/overview.htm), "[t]he basic Core Network architecture for UMTS is based on GSM network with GPRS." On AT&T Wireless's network, for example, your device falls back to GPRS where full-speed UMTS is unavailable.
    Rochester Hills, MI there is like a cross in antennas and the singal is ****ty but only for sprint.
    I am in the cell industry and our edge technology in Chicago is just as fast if not faster. It does depend how much bandwidth is given to eachd data channel at the sites. Now 3G is a different story. They are mostly cdma based
  18.    #18  
    We've been talking about the Treo 600. UMTS is not compatible with the Treo 600 and from all rumors -- it will not be compatible with the Treo 650. However, I was aware that UMTS was deployed in San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose and now I have learned it's deployed in Dallas. It's deployed for use with laptop computers with PCMCIA cards. What the futures holds is exciting, but we are probably one TREO generation away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by trellus
    ...has UMTS data on AT&T Wireless, which is faster than aything offered by the CDMA carriers here -- with the asterisk being that Verizon Wireless has EV-DO at the airports (supposedly). However, UMTS is city/metro-wide, so we are one city where GSM data speeds are fastered than the CDMA offerings.
    UMTS is also in Detroit. ATT won't add anymore until after Cingular takes them over.
    UMTS isn't GSM. It is wideband cdma technology
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast