Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    UMTS isn't GSM. It is wideband cdma technology
    You're right, but AT&T would lead you to believe its the evolution of GSM technology. http://www.attwireless.com/midtolarg...EL21B4R0HYSFFA
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Since the name of the discussion was "NAME A CITY where GSM DATA SPEEDS ARE FASTER THAN CDMA", I didn't know that it made a difference whether the Treo 600 (or the 650) supported it or not.

I mean -- it's sort of a trivial discussion if we're talking the 600 -- GPRS is just slower than 1xRTT, so what was the point of the discussion?

I, for one, am well aware (as I'm sure most people are) that 1xRTT is faster than GPRS, but there are various reasons why I don't flock to Sprint or Verizon and I'm using a GSM carrier instead. One reason is that I was with Sprint from 1997 until late 2002, and their customer service just blew. Also, I do not like to be a slave to Sprint when it comes to phones, of which there are a relative dearth, when compared to the offerings I have in the GSM world. As an example, I'm using a Sony Ericsson Z600 (with just ol' GPRS, no EDGE) with T-Mobile because I simply didn't like any of the phones offered through T-Mobile. All I had to do was pop my SIM out of my ugly Nokia and put it in my Z600 and voila!

Now that it appears that EDGE will be supported on the 650 -- and I will thus get roughly the same speed on the GSM 650 as I would on a CDMA 650 (since there is no EV-DO support yet on this device), I am further encouraged to stick with GSM, even though my current carrier, T-Mobile, is unlikely to offer EDGE until summer of next year at the earliest. Best of all, if I get impatient and want EDGE sooner, I can just take my unlocked 650 and run over to ATTWS or Cingular -- without investing further in a different phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintTreo600
    GSM data calls will only allow you to access GSM capable websites. When I was using a SET610 in Mumbai, Delhi, and Rajkot, I could access only such websites as mobile.rediff.com but not vsnl.net. With 1xRTT networking you can access the almost anything on the web, as opposed to almost nothing with GSM.
    Sorry to be blunt -- but that's just an utter load of crap. If you're on a GSM provider with unlimited, unrestricted Internet -- you can access ANY WEBSITE that exists. Granted, it might be painful to load if it's not optimized for a narrow-bandwidth, small-screen device .... but it does work. Your vsnl.net website does not appear to exist as a valid web site, even when I type it into Internet Exporer on my desktop.

There's no such thing as a "GSM capable" website.... I would challenge you to present one other than VNSL, and I will happily load it on my GSM Treo. I work in the hosting industry and manage a farm of 100+ servers, so I know a bit about what I'm referring to here.
    Toomer
    I have performed bandwidth tests with the following carriers in the Texas area:
    Sprint 1xRTT
    Verizon 1xRTT
    AT&T GPRS
    AT&T EDGE

AT&T EDGE outperforms both Sprint and Verizon on all speed tests but is not as reliable as CDMA.
    Sprint has the best data coverage/reliability.
    AT&T has the best voice coverage/quality.

It really makes me feel like I am in a pickle with a converged device; do I go with better data reliability (CDMA) or better voice coverage/quality (GSM).
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    I have performed bandwidth tests with the following carriers in the Texas area:
    Sprint 1xRTT
    Verizon 1xRTT
    AT&T GPRS
    AT&T EDGE

AT&T EDGE outperforms both Sprint and Verizon on all speed tests but is not as reliable as CDMA.
    Sprint has the best data coverage/reliability.
    AT&T has the best voice coverage/quality.

It really makes me feel like I am in a pickle with a converged device; do I go with better data reliability (CDMA) or better voice coverage/quality (GSM).
    The curiosity is killing me. The Treo 600 only works with GPRS and 1xRTT. How did you test the Treo 600 with EDGE?
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/18/2004 at 02:40 PM.
    Sorry, this was posted under the 650 discussion group, so I thought you were looking forward to the EDGE speeds on the the 650. I have air cards that I use for those tests.

Carey
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoBeard
    Sorry, this was posted under the 650 discussion group, so I thought you were looking forward to the EDGE speeds on the the 650. I have air cards that I use for those tests.

Carey
    Your comments are valued. Yes, we are looking forward to the 650, but we've been comparing what's available now with what is to come. It appears there will be no change in CDMA 1xRTT and GSM will add EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by kouma
    UMTS isn't GSM. It is wideband cdma technology
    I beg to differ a bit the UMTS isn't GSM. Here is a link to a site that explains W-CDMA in detail. You have to really specify which cdma spec or standard you are associating with W-CDMA, but its core network is GSM and most GSM providers are planning to or are rolling out UMTS.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/W-CDMA

W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access), a wideband spread-spectrum 3G mobile telecommuncation air interface that utilizes code division multiple access (or CDMA the general multiplexing scheme, not to be confused with CDMA the standard), is a 3G mobile communications standard allied with the GSM standard. W-CDMA is the technology behind UMTS (aka 3GSM). Networks using W-CDMA are a form of cellular network.

UMTS is sometimes marketed as 3GSM, emphasizing the combination of the 3G nature of the technology and the GSM standard which it was designed to succeed.
  9.    #29  
    LewisL77

That link to FreeDictionary crashes my browser. So, I'll take your word for it. Unfortunately, WCDMA will not be integrated into the Treo 650.
    Treo 650 just confirmed today that the GSM version will have EDGE, so no nearly every major market in the U.S. will have faster data speeds for Treo users.

At long last, we'll soon enter the era of streaming CD quality (by non-audiophile standards that is) 128 kbps mp3 music courtesy of PocketTunes & Shoutcast This and IMAP email are the Treo's two killer apps, IMHO
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12