1.    #1  
    I'm new to this board and was thinking about buying a pda type of device. I was wondering why is the Treo 650 better than the Sidekick2? what are the Pros and Cons? Is the webrowser better? I know this is a Treo forum and you people are going to say the Treo is better. Any help would be great!
    thanks
    I had a Sidekick II for 2 weeks. I encourage you to try it at T-mobile stores.

The sidekick II is very different from a Treo 650. It is a different kind of device. For one, the AIM client is quite streamlined. The email client is also simplified. Those are fine for moderate use. In fact, the AIM client is very usable. The keyboard is great and the notifications are nice.

The phone aspects are also pretty good, especially the speaker phone.
    The camera isn't great, but by smart phone standards is fine ... and the way it is mounted, etc, it is very convenient and easy to use. The large lcd makes taking pictures fun and easy.

At the same time... there are issues. Memory is small. It spends alot of time logging into 3G. Web access is pretty bad, and there is no java or javascript, so many websites don't work well. If they ever load... I had significant issues with that, even though emails and things came pretty well.
    Oh... it will pull the text from doc files and pdfs, which is nice, and will display picture attachments... but mp3s aren't an option. Also, ringtones and things cost money.

But the vibrator is great, and the colors that flash during ringtones are actually pretty cool.

All in all, the sidekick II is a fun, happy, sturdy little device, and cheap...
    but the Treo 650 is much much more powerful.

For example, the web browser, and larger screen with higher resolution; the better email client; more memory; fully featured chat client; more 3rd party software; handwriting recognition....

but also twice the price.
    I had a SK I and got rid of it to go with sprint for better coverage. My girlfriend has SK II and its nice and all, however, its more of a toy than a phone. You want a real phone, go with the Treo.
    i never used a sidekick myself...but i believe everything is stored serverside...so if your not able to get service you dont have access to most of your information.

There is also less software developed for the sidekick in comparison to a palm OS device.

But it really comes down to what your using it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    i never used a sidekick myself...but i believe everything is stored serverside...so if your not able to get service you dont have access to most of your information.

There is also less software developed for the sidekick in comparison to a palm OS device.

But it really comes down to what your using it for.

Correcto!!! NOt only are there less programs developed for SKII, you have to buy ALL of them. Where as Palm has been around for a while there are many developers that allow you to download for free. Of course donations don't hurt either. Another side not...SKII is thicker and longer that treo. No bluetooth, HORRIBLE camera, and no Java support. (That's about half the internet that isn't visible to SKII). I repeat, it's more of a kidlings toy phone than a business phone like the treo.