Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PalmOne has unambiguously said many times in their financial submissions that the Holiday Season has no noticeable effect on the sales of their TREOs.

I doubt THIS Holiday Season would be any different.

As such, they have no valid reason to pay for an ad blitz of any type for the TREO line in time for the Holidays.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 10/16/2004 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added clarifying time period to last sentence.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    PalmOne has unambiguously said many times in their financial submissions that the Holiday Season has no noticeable effect on the sales of their TREOs...
    Just speculation.
    No effect on Palm Inc. sales to retailers.
    But couldn't it have an effect in the retail store.
    I teach high school and I know that school kids get PDA's, MPG players, and phones by the guzillions as holiday gifts. The T650 is a combo package for such a gift.
    This could be bad marketing on the fault of Palm. They should solve this problem. Too much of retail sales takes place during the holiday season for them to just thumb their noses at it...
    Who know, mayby this year they will try.
    Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    Just speculation.
    No effect on Palm Inc. sales to retailers.
    But couldn't it have an effect in the retail store.
    I teach high school and I know that school kids get PDA's, MPG players, and phones by the guzillions as holiday gifts. The T650 is a combo package for such a gift.
    This could be bad marketing on the fault of Palm. They should solve this problem. Too much of retail sales takes place during the holiday season for them to just thumb their noses at it...
    Who know, mayby this year they will try.
    Just a thought.

You are correct sir. Regardless of comments made about the half released/available Treo 600 last xmas and its affect on their income, PONE will have it well stocked and in the stores. I have no doubt. PONE/Treo has dramatically increased their carrier and retail base arrangements since last xmas. and the resulting affects of the holiday sales will be, and should not be under estimated , significant. I would look for the aka.650 through Sprint/PONE via online availability first and a few weeks later into retail chains. Based on the holiday season, my guess is through Sprint/PONE online no later then November 1 -7.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/16/2004 at 11:40 AM.
    I went to fry's right after best buy and the sprint guy there also said they expected "first couple of weeks in november"
    PalmOne has unambiguously said many times in their financial submissions that the Holiday Season has no noticeable effect on the sales of their TREOs.

I doubt THIS Holiday Season would be any different.

As such, they have no valid reason to pay for an ad blitz of any type for the TREO line in time for the Holidays.
    If you are right, and PalmOne is so blind to retail reality, then they deserve the can of whup-A$$ about to be opened up on them. However, it seems they've always dangled new Palms out there at Christmas time (particularly remember the Palm Vx, Palm IIIc and Tungsten were available earlier, but really puished for Thanksgiving).

Besides, its not them paying for the ad blitz; it's Best Buy, Circuit City, Radioshack, and of coure the carriers. If they and Samsung both miss teh Christmas boat, then only us crazed fanatics will be there in February with credit cards in hand.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If you are right
    I am, unambiguously.
    ...and PalmOne is so blind to retail reality...
    No, it is YOU who are blind to retail reality!

PalmOne has the hard experience behind retail reality and simply says what it has found out (page 11):

== "Seasonality...
    ==
    == ...To date, we have not seen meaningful seasonal variations in customer
    == demand for Treo smartphones...We attribute this lack of seasonality for
    == our smartphones to four factors. First, sales of smartphones are
    == influenced by carrier adoption which could occur at any time during the
    == fiscal year. Second, our smartphones are sold at higher prices than
    == handheld computers and holiday seasonality typically affects demand for
    == lower priced products. Third, purchasing a smartphone also requires
    == selection of a carrier and the purchase of a service plan, which
    == complicates the buying process for gift-giving. Lastly, enterprise
    == customers represent a higher proportion of smartphones sales than
    == typically seen in our handheld product line and these customers tend to
    == be less driven by holiday selling seasons..."

-- http://www.edgar-online.com/bin/cobr...1553&x=28&y=14

That's the retail reality - anything else is pure sky-blue groundless wishing.
    Seldom,
    Every time I turn around. Ugh. There you are. Well you know what Seldom? You are absolutely right. Palmone has stated that the holiday's don't really affect there sales one way or another. What YOU fail to realize is that they do affect retail chains. BB, CC, and my beloved Radioshack all to 60% or more of their annual business in Nov/Dec. Now, when Palm made the statement you're so fond of quoting, they were , I repeat, WERE , talking about THEIR sales to end-users, not the chains I mentioned earlier. If you believe those chains don't want the 650 in their stores by Christmas, then you truly do belong on my ignore list. They will put pressure on the carriers AND P1 to get it to them in time, and P1 will comply. If you don't believe Radioshack can get pretty much ANYTHING it wants out of Sprint, then quite simply, you just haven't done your homework. Go over to the corner and simmer down, would ya?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Did you have a hard time reading the PalmOne quoted text in this:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=26

message?
    I am, unambiguously.

No, it is YOU who are blind to retail reality!

PalmOne has the hard experience behind retail reality and simply says what it has found out (page 11):

== "Seasonality...
    ==
    == ...To date, we have not seen meaningful seasonal variations in customer
    == demand for Treo smartphones...We attribute this lack of seasonality for
    == our smartphones to four factors. First, sales of smartphones are
    == influenced by carrier adoption which could occur at any time during the
    == fiscal year. Second, our smartphones are sold at higher prices than
    == handheld computers and holiday seasonality typically affects demand for
    == lower priced products. Third, purchasing a smartphone also requires
    == selection of a carrier and the purchase of a service plan, which
    == complicates the buying process for gift-giving. Lastly, enterprise
    == customers represent a higher proportion of smartphones sales than
    == typically seen in our handheld product line and these customers tend to
    == be less driven by holiday selling seasons..."

-- http://www.edgar-online.com/bin/cobr...1553&x=28&y=14

That's the retail reality - anything else is pure sky-blue groundless wishing.
    Oh so now you believe what PONE says. How conveinant.

The fact is PONE has not had a full blown smartphone device out during the holiday season. 0 None. So there's really no experience is there?. Fact two, there is no cell phone, smartphone or consumer electronics company period that does not see a spike in sales during the holiday season. 0 NONE. The fact is, that not only do holiday sales affect calander 4th quarter results, end of the year purchases for a host of corporate reasons do as well. If PONE is not affected by holiday sales/calander 4th qtr sales it will be the first such in the history consumer electronics.

Give that head a shake would ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    Oh so now you believe what PONE says...
    Actually, except for their outrageously-incorrect-just-about-always financial predictions, I ==always== believe what PLMO says!

And I seriously challenge you to find ANYWHERE where I doubt their truthfulness in what they say.

What I ==don't== believe is what they DON'T say!

And what they DON'T say - ever - is how well the TREOs sell to end-cusotmers.

BTW - I think they don't say for a reason...
    No, unlike you're posts it was quite clear. And I agreed with you. Did YOU have a hard time readin that? All I am saying is that there is no reason for P1 NOT to get the 650 out to retail chains, who, I am sure, are clamoring for it before their busiest season begins. Now, surely even you would have to admit that
    A: Christmas is busy. (With me so far?) and
    B: There is no REASON for P1 to wait. Even if THEY don't see a lift at Christmas, are you honestly going to quote a palmone financial report, then try to tell me I won't sell more Treos in December than February? C'mon Seldom, half the reason I don't ignore you is that you generally put up a good argument, and to me that's fun, but you're not even TRYING to make sense now, are you?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Come on give that head a shake! First of all, they are true in every respect to what they say. This device will in fact not be as beholden to holiday sales as their other devices, PDA's. It is in fact, in THAT CONTEXT to which the statement refrenced is made.

As well, and I repeat, the Treo was not readily available last season., which would make it a little tough to suggest one way or another. Also, P1 did not have the carrier or retail relations last season that it does now. Trust me, the Treo will like all other consumer and business electrioncs worth their salt see a positive affect as 2004 unwinds, and I know for a fact that P1 is counting on it.

Only a fool would suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 10/16/2004 at 09:07 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12