1.    #1  
    I was just wondering if anyone knew or had any thoughts what additional advancements the Treo 650 might have over the specs we have been given by those who have had the opportunity to play with the initial models.

I realize that there is little chance for hardware changes (except maybe additional memory) but changes that might only require software tweaking might have had enough time in the last month or so to be added.

Just can't help but feel that they have somewhat delayed the release of the Treo 650 because of last minute additions they wanted to have, like this recent deal with Microsoft. I don't see them having that many bugs in this product because the 650 is very similar to the 600 so I'm hoping they have added a few things (mainly memory, new microsoft email program, or adjustments to the recent advancements in the phone networks).

birdieman54
    Quote Originally Posted by birdieman54
    Just can't help but feel that they have somewhat delayed the release of the Treo 650 because of last minute additions they wanted to have, like this recent deal with Microsoft.
    Pardon the bluntness, but if youi actually think a product has been delayed to ADD new features months and/or years after the design was decided upon then you haven't a clue about product development cycles.

(1) There is NO evidence that the product has been delayed other than message board rumors (many of which, of course, contradict each other). PalmOne itself has said NOTHING interesting about schedules other than "We're gonna say something soon".

(2) If a product HAS been delayed it is due to some sort of "glitch" - guaranteed - for many different variations on "glitch".
    Another one of those rare instances where I agree with Seldom (of course, that means he's right).

These developers take so long in the design cycle that I can't imagine a feature being "added" unless it was closely connected with replacing an additional component. For example, if the system ROM was actually defective, you "might" get an updated ROM image in the replacement chips, but that in itself could lead to new problems, so why risk it. There have been rumors of going back to the shop for a RAM upgrade (32 to 64mb), but I find that hard to believe either. The financial press already reported the 650 was on the boat from HTC, so I just don't see that kind of turn-around either.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The financial press already reported the 650 was on the boat from HTC, so I just don't see that kind of turn-around either.
    I think if any PalmOne product was on a boat from HTC, then it was the Tungsten.

Don't believe the Me-Too Media - they get it wrong MORE than message boards...
    Seldom - you could be right on that one (Me-Too Media) as well, but either way, they're not going to pull the 650 back to upgrade or improve features.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Hell, we are lucky if we get the stuff they already promised and that it works let alone extra stuff
    While it would be impractical to make any design changes this late on, I've certainly read about products in the past that were modified at the last minute to include more memory because falling memory prices meant that from the time of design to final production things had moved on.
  8.    #8  
    I thought they added more memory to the T5 just before it was realeased. Maybe I misunderstood that.