View Poll Results: Treo 650: CDMA or GSM

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • GSM

28 49.12%
  • CDMA

29 50.88%
  1.    #1  
    I did not get the answer I needed when I asked the first time. Which was better for the Treo 650, CDMA or GSM? So maybe I will try it this way.
    You may not again: do you mean the 600 or do you want speculation? If you tell us the answer you need, I'm ready to give it to you. ;-)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    You may not again: do you mean the 600 or do you want speculation? If you tell us the answer you need, I'm ready to give it to you. ;-)

I have Verizon now and I want to switch. I was thinking about Sprint (CDMA) then I spoke with T-Moble (GSM), then Cingular.

So I don't know which one to go with. GSM or CDMA. Bluetooth, EDGW, EV-DO, modems, Tethering.

Hell, which service will give you the most bang for the buck?
    I can't speak for gsm, but I have had NO complaints with my sprint service. Fast connection and reasonable rates for unlimited vision. I have used pda net a few times and it works great also.
    Triple,

You need to decide which one of the carriers offer the plan that best suits your needs and wallet.

You'll also need to determine which one of the carriers offers adequate coverage in the areas you'll be located.

With regards to the 600...I think the only real difference between the two units was slightly better battery life on the GSM models. I guess being able to unlock the GSM phones and use them with multiple carriers would be a plus as well.
    I have the CDMA Treo 600 from Sprint and have terrific reception. I've had it almost a year and can count the number of dropped calls on two hands. I have a few friends with GSM phones who swear by these things. Does anyone have any experience with both? The most important thing to me is network coverage and reliability. Is GSM there yet?

Mark

Earn a free ipod by clicking here!!!
    First, ask your friends and others what their experience is with the carriers in the geographic areas you'll need service. Second, compare Ms. Zeta with the Sprint guy. My contract with them expired more than a year ago but I've stayed with them because of Ms. Zeta and because I've had good support from their techs and their store. I think they still have the best rates for unlimited data although they don't offer less-than-unlimited plans; so, if your data needs are minimal, you may do better elsewhere. They also have T-zones for less if that meets your needs. I've gotten to like the SIM card format which allows me to move the card in and out of phones. Finally, when I moved from Sprint 2 years ago, I moved because I needed service internationally, and international rates (US to international destinations) were much better than Sprint. Otherwise, I was happy with Sprint reception though unhappy with Sprint tech support. Sprint also used to have the coolest phones but I haven't kept up with that. Determine your needs and tastes, do some research and then go for it.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    If its as simple as comparing the sprint guy to catherine zeta jones. i'll take her anyday!

Mark
    i had to go with CDMA. Love sprint and there service.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeshur
    If its as simple as comparing the sprint guy to catherine zeta jones. i'll take her anyday!

Mark

Oh ,yeah.............Mrs. Jones!!!!!!!

(Good info guys! Thanks)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have had just about every carrier there is and the only one that Hasn't lost serivce is Sprint. In order from worst reception to best...Cingular(sucks), T-mobile, ATT, Verizon. Sprint is by far the best.

CDMA...WOOT!!!!
    GSM is the smarter choice. It is the current Global standard and will continue to be when upgraded to UTMS and then HSPDA.
    Go T-Mobile
    I don't have any Treo right now, but I do have VZW for my provider. I have no problem w/ coverage in my market. The Treo will be the one phone that is currently being offered now that I am seriously considering if I stay w/ VZW. I am under contract till 11/2005...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I can't speak for gsm, but I have had NO complaints with my sprint service. Fast connection and reasonable rates for unlimited vision. I have used pda net a few times and it works great also.
    *On his best behavior*
    Dutch, all foolishness aside, I am curious as to how Sprint charges you for having a PDA phone. Is everything included in the Unlimited Vision plan? I have a sprint phone now with unlimited vision, (not pda ). If I were to get the Treo 650 would I need to change my plan or could I keep it?

Thanks!
    GSM rocks
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    There is no difference in pricing for Sprint's Vision plan between smart and non smartphones
    Last edited by cooneyca; 10/15/2004 at 08:05 PM.
    T-Mo + GSM if you travel overseas.
    Every pixel a picasso