Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Please bear with me as I'm new and learning.

I have been a Cingular customer for a few years now and I'm happy with their plans for phones.

I recently saw someone with the Treo 600 and he advised considering the Sprint Plans, as they have internet access for a flat rate per month, no matter how long or much you are on.

As I (as eagerly as most) await the Treo 650, I'm not sure if the carrier who offers it should be my primary consideration.

Is Sprint the best for internet, etc. Is there anythng else that should be considered??

Thanks in advance!
    EDGE really changes the data situation for Treo users. You'll have faster speeds on EDGE by 20-30% best case scenario, worst case comprable speeds to CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint). Pricing from the GSM carriers like Cingular is competitive with Sprint. Check out Cingular's MediaWorks package for $20/per month for unlim data, 1500 sms/mos, 200 mms/mos.

With that and your current happiness with Cingular I can't think of a reason that you would want to switch.
    Off to iPhone land...
    ghileman,
    Is the MediaWorks package really unlimited data. I thought it was like AT&T with unlimited mmode for $25 and unlimited data for $50. The difference being that with mmode you don't get access to all websites. You go through some wap portal. Is that not the case with MediaWorks? Do you get access to any standard website? Are there any limitations with Java on those websites?
    I have the Media works package and I can access any sites that I want. I have not had any restrictions to just WAP sites. Looking forward to the EDGE capability on the 650 Hopefully the ATT/Cingular merger will complete soon as I don't think that EDGE is live in Houston for Cingular yet 'course could be wrong, I don't have an EDGE device

ek
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    ghileman,
    Is the MediaWorks package really unlimited data.
    Yes. I racked up close to 250 megabytes last month alone, mostly streaming shoutcast internet radio. Not a peep or complaint from Cingular about tethering which apparently others carriers will call you about and possibly revoked your unlim data plan if they catch you doing it.
    Off to iPhone land...
    "Pricing from the GSM carriers like Cingular is competitive with Sprint. Check out Cingular's MediaWorks package for $20/per month for unlim data, 1500 sms/mos, 200 mms/mos."

And Sprint Vision is $15 a month for unlimited, and 2x faster speeds. How is 2x difference competitive?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Anthony, 1xRTT is not 2x faster than EDGE, which is what Ghileman is speaking about. I actually think with EDGE speeds, the media works package is a better deal than what Sprint has to offer.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    All,

I got a SMS from ATTWS and now have unlimited I'net for $24.95/mo. I'l be interested in seeing what speeds I get in areas where EDGE is available.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    I just spoke with an AT & T sales person at the Lynnwood WA store and was told they will be selling the T650, but he has been told the ship date may be pushed back to first of the year.
    Yeah. I agree. EDGE will be faster than 1xRTT. If the average numbers that I have read about are true. EDGE will have throughput of about 100-200 while 1xRTT has 80-100. Whatever the case I hope that my Mediaworks plan will let me access the EDGE speed for the same price. It will be about time that I have faster internet on my treo that my father-in-law with his Sprint Treo He has let me know in no uncertain terms about how much faster hid service is

ek
    I tried searching for the MediaWorks data package on the Cingular web site, but didn't find anything. Is this something that is only availble regionally? Does it include EDGE data?

Thanks,

-Byron
    i recommend giving cingular a call
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    from what i've read it's closer to 80-100 vs 100-130
    but the prices are similar
    i think it comes down to coverage and reception in the end..cingular isn't available in my area but t mobile is... tm doesnt have edge yet from what i understand
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    from what i've read it's closer to 80-100 vs 100-130
    but the prices are similar
    i think it comes down to coverage and reception in the end..cingular isn't available in my area but t mobile is... tm doesnt have edge yet from what i understand

Actually, it depends on the device you have. For example a 6230 (w/Class 10 EDGE), theoretically, can have max throughput at 236.8 Kbps. This is theoretical, of course, but some people at HoFo have been able to get ~200 Kbps.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    right, there is always going to be overhead loss. it also depends on signal bar and battery drain. i've never been able to reach 144kbps or whatever sprint's 1xrtt is, but i have gotten a constant 11kilobytes/s from my ftp
    I called Cingular Customer Service last night, and he was able to use my address to find out the coverage on BOTH Cingular and AT&T's network.

Cingular: Medium
    AT&T: Very Good!!!

I am definitely switching to Cingular/AT&T when 650 comes out! BTW, when is the rumored date for Cingular to carry it again? Or do I have to wait until Monday to find out?
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Or do I have to wait until Monday to find out?
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Sounds like a good idea.
    repitition is funny
    repitition is funny
    I just came back from a Cingular store here on Broadway in NYC. Of course, I interrogated the manager about the 650. He had no idea about the 650. However, he did mention that he has not gotten any 600's in about 2-3 weeks and "is not going to be getting them."

Take it FWIW. Perhaps he feels as though he can't *disclose* anything about the 650 before its official announcement? I don't know.

Alas, only people like me and other folks here at TC probably go to these places hours before a press release to get a scoop (or a rise?!).
    Does anyone know when Cingular will support the 650?

That's my carrier and I don't want to switch unless I have to. Branded phones usually work better than genrically unlocked phones. Some phone apps (such as some ringtone downloads) look for the branding.
    early next year?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast