Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well, I don't know if it is real, but I hope so. Treo 650 aside, I'd like to see Cingular officially support Media Works usage on the Treo devices. Their coverage is supposedly good in my area and the $20 price for unlimited data is reasonable. My understanding is that Sprint's data network is faster, so that would probably be my preference, but it's nice to have more choices.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I've been using media works unlimited on my Treo since it was first offered. Of course I also have a V600 on my account which is what I specified when I added the media works package.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiB
    Jeeez... Chill out! The guy tires to tell us something. With your attitude noting is for real. And if it s a hoax - it will be 'undressed' sooner than later - Tungsten or not.
    Are you addressing Rome, who apparently gets his kicks from free-shot ad hominem attacks or me, who demands proof before he believes rumors?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegold
    I've been using media works unlimited on my Treo since it was first offered. Of course I also have a V600 on my account which is what I specified when I added the media works package.
    Right. I know that you can use it. The point is that it's not officially supported (or, more accurately, it's officially not supported). I wouldn't want to skirt the system, find myself locked into a one-year contract, then have them notice and cancel my Media Works package but still be locked into my account.

That said, what's up with them offering the Media Works plan for these phones for a "limited time"? Either do it or don't do it.

Scott
    I just stopped by my local Cingular store and they had a price list from 7/22/04 on hand. The unlimited MediaWorks package plan at $19.95 was on there but it was specifically NOT for PDA phones (like the Treo 600). There is another $39.99 unlimited plan that is the only authorized plan for Treo 600's.

Also, when I look online, I do NOT see Treo's listed on these plans at all.
    Another thing that bothers me about this announcement is the wording"

"Unlimited Internet usage for wireless web browsing
    1500 text/instant messages
    200 Multimedia messages "

I want to use the intenet usage for much more than wireless web browsing. Are ALL ports supported under the MediaWorks plan? (ssh, IMAPS, etc?)

I would feel much better about this if I had some official confirmation that the plan is available for Treo 600's (and 650's) and that the plan supported ALL ports.
    Not to discredit anyone's information...but has anyone contacted this sales rep from Cingular to see if they acutally will have the 650 come November? I have seen far too many dates being thrown around, and even though the November 'date' is a general timeframe, I would like to know if they will actually have them ready for the onslaught of calls they will receive for people wanting one.
    I stopped by a different Cingular store and the rep was much more knowledgeable about treos and GPRS and their data plans. He signed me up for the MediaWorks package at $19.99 and transfered over my number. All went extremely well and I am now running with all services on Cingular (pop2, imaps, http, ssh, etc.)

So _that_ part of the memo checks out at least
    any idea when cingular will get the 650, and how much? I already have cingular, and want to get the 650 when it comes out. I kinda miss my 600 that I had with cingular, but I hated the screen, so I got a tt3 and t616 from cingular. Any info would be appreciated.
    Wow. Read down like 3 threads.

F.Y.I. You should check the forum before you post.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    My understanding is that Sprint's data network is faster, so that would probably be my preference, but it's nice to have more choices.

Scott
    Sprint's wont be if the 650 has edge. Then cingular's $20 all you can eat will be unbeatable, because you will have the coverage and the speed, rather than having to choose between one or the other.

Plus the soon to be second largest wireless company (verizon) only introduced the treo a couple of months ago, they will not be updating soon, so that eliminates them as well.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Jaytee,
    Got Media Works for my Treo about a month ago ($19.95). The 800#rep didn't indicate that it was a "special offer", she just told that based on my usage, that package would save me money. Maybe she didn't realize what the Treo was. They also signed me up for insurance when I bought the phone back in June. I had to collect on it last month. Boy was I shocked when I called in the claim and was told they didn't insure smartphones. They honored the claim anyway since I had paid the premium, but now I'm afraid to walk around with my phone :-)
    I got an e-mail from our Cingular account rep that said the 650 would be out in November.
    KeNNethX - The gUy iS oUt tHeRe!
    Quote Originally Posted by cingulartreo
    Sprint's wont be if the 650 has edge. Then cingular's $20 all you can eat will be unbeatable, because you will have the coverage and the speed, rather than having to choose between one or the other.
    My understanding is that EDGE simply gets GPRS up to the speeds that Sprint and Verizon's regular CDMA data networks are already up to. Verizon's newest data network is supposedly the fastest out there, though their Treo isn't compatible with it. Further, one of the biggest problems that even these "fast" networks have is latency. IMO, more effort needs to be put towards eliminating that issue.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    My understanding is that EDGE simply gets GPRS up to the speeds that Sprint and Verizon's regular CDMA data networks
    wrong. EDGE clocks in at 120-160 kbps.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Really? That is impressive. But what about latency? If I have to wait five seconds from the time I click a button and the time the page starts displaying, wireless data still has a long ways to go.

Scott
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    1xrtt gives 145kbps when tethered. How is EDGE that much faster?
    it isn't
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The importance of EDGE is, you can finally get AS GOOD a data service from a GSM carrier as you can get from a CDMA carrier. Competition is a good thing. If Sprint/Verizon cripple the 650's bluetooth capabilities, you can try your luck with Cingular (or whoever).
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman

How was the previous statement wrong then?
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    How was the previous statement wrong then?
    simple math: 160 > 145

any more questions young jedi?
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast