Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    it says to insert foreign sim first. i don't have one, tried the code anyway and it didn't unlock it. i want to be sure i can unlock this abroad or i will just leave the phone here...
    You do have to get a foreign SIM to unlock a T-Mobile phone -- try to find a friend who has Cingular or AWS, and borrow their SIM for a few minutes.

I will warn you though that the only time I tried to do an unlock on my Treo 270, not only did it fail, I ran into the infamous "network search" problem. Luckily, the phone was still under warranty, and I called in for a replacement. The replacement, it turned out, was already unlocked!
    I'd recommend going to a T-M store and asking them to do it for you. I presume you've had service with them for more than 90 days -that's all they require. That's one of T-M's selling points, unlike ATT which requires your first-born.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    i went to two t-mobile stores and that's what they told me - to put a foreign sim in it. and of course they did not have a sim i could use. i asked if i could use an att sim and i got a blank look - like they could not figure out why i thought that att was a foreign sim!

i unlocked my 180 using the tigerdirect codes - without using a foreign sim. i might bring the 180 instead since it's already unlocked.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    hmmm, i was able to borrow an AT&T sim and it didn't reject the SIM! i had tried this on my 180 before i unlocked it and it rejected an at&t sim. so i guess my 270 wasn't locked in the first place!?!