1.    #1  
    I know this has been discussed in different threads, but I did a search and couldn't find it. So my apologies in advance.

From what I can remember, no one knows if the 650 will have CDMA EV-DO support for Sprint, correct?

If the article posted by Specimen38 in another thread is true, ("Hope for Sprint customers, but probably too early for the Treo 650 to implement. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5364.html"), then Sprint, according to the article, "expects deployments (of EV-DO to most of its metropolian markets sometime in 2005."

Can the Treo really not have EV-DO if Sprint is going to roll it out that soon?
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Yes, the Treo can really not have EV-DO. Just like the Samsung i550 can really not have EV-DO. Annoying, isn't it? This phone will be obsolete within months of its release.
    The Muffin Man's slides from an internal Sprint presentation show that the CDMA Treos will support 1xRTT and the GSM Treos will support EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    I know this has been discussed in different threads, but I did a search and couldn't find it. So my apologies in advance.

From what I can remember, no one knows if the 650 will have CDMA EV-DO support for Sprint, correct?

If the article posted by Specimen38 in another thread is true, ("Hope for Sprint customers, but probably too early for the Treo 650 to implement. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5364.html"), then Sprint, according to the article, "expects deployments (of EV-DO to most of its metropolian markets sometime in 2005."

Can the Treo really not have EV-DO if Sprint is going to roll it out that soon?

Dean, it should have been titled hope for VERIZON customers: Hope for Verizon customers, but probably too early for the Treo 650 to implement. http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5364.html
    This link is titled correctly. Data speed transmission Hope for Sprint customers, but probably too early for Treo 650.

http://www3.sprint.com/PR/CDA/PR_CDA...112098,00.html
    Yeah, unfortunately the lead time need to develop a phone probably doesn't allow it to have EV-DO. I think there's little doubt that there's at least a beginning phase of a new Treo that does work with it. Probably not coming for another year or so.
    The ppc6600 coming out along with the treo is supoosed to support EV-DO. . . so I don't think the lead time has much to do with palm dropping the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51701

You can check out the user guide from the FCC site at this link:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/...tive_or_pdf=pdf

According to the specs, it is EV-DO compliant!! (once Sprint comes online!)

It does list Bluetooth 1.1 as an included feature!
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

7.    #7  
    What is the PPC6600 again? There are so many other devices being thrown around these threads, I can't keep them straight. The FCC link does not work. Thanks
    Tekara! That link you posted with the[*.pdf] didn't take me anywhere. Bad link.
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/14/2004 at 12:37 PM.
    Of course you all have all seen this link describing Sprint's big picture plan.
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/350-1.htm

I am certain the Treo 650 is not configured for these protocols yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Tekara! That link you posted with the[*.pdf] didn't take me anywhere. Bad link.
    Sorry man, but I get to pass the buck on this one. The first link is mine and it links to a thread in the sprintusers forum. I copied over a post from that thread that had that link.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    What is the PPC6600 again? There are so many other devices being thrown around these threads, I can't keep them straight. The FCC link does not work. Thanks
    ppc6600 aka HTC harrier aka daxian aka blue angle aka xda III aka MDA III . . . . I am sure there's more. . . follow the link that I posted to the sprintusers forum, someone posted the full spec layout and some pictures.

12.    #12  
    Thanks Tekara
    I thought I head read that those phones weren't scheduled to come out until mid-next year? I could be wrong...

It also sounds like the version is one without a camera (at least that's what the Sprint Users forum says). It seems odd it would be advantanced enough to have EV-DO and lack something like a camera. Especially when Sprint highly touts camera phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Yes, the Treo can really not have EV-DO. Just like the Samsung i550 can really not have EV-DO. Annoying, isn't it? This phone will be obsolete within months of its release.
    The Muffin Man's slides from an internal Sprint presentation show that the CDMA Treos will support 1xRTT and the GSM Treos will support EDGE.

Iceman6! Where are the Muffin Man's slides?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I thought I head read that those phones weren't scheduled to come out until mid-next year? I could be wrong...

It also sounds like the version is one without a camera (at least that's what the Sprint Users forum says). It seems odd it would be advantanced enough to have EV-DO and lack something like a camera. Especially when Sprint highly touts camera phones.
    The cameraless one will be out this month. Same model with camera will be out next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland

Well there are GSM versions all over europe right now, so I'd say that the phone is a go. The latest buzz has been the releas of the imate pda2k which is the native english version.

If I weren't on sprint I would own one of those phones right now.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ditto about the sprint... but evdo is going to be great once it gets deployed... i have a suspicion about why *supposedly* the treo 650 won't have evdo - if they are INDEED coming out with a "family" of treo phones - then what will the life of this 650 be? 4, , 6 months? the new phones will obviously have EVDO or UMTS (gsm) capable of higher speeds, but there's no way june of next year i should upgrade again. i do like the fact that EVDO is scheduled to be included in the daxian/mdaIII/ppc6600/xdaiii/imate pda2k/etc. even though it's not fully deployed. that makes me believe the device will be built to last a good amount instead of "dumbing down" the phone to not have it take full advantage when it comes around. that is one thing that will bug me if this treo plays out like everyone says...
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Confirmed by my corporate rep - NO EVDO on the 650.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro