Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, i'm a loyal treo user. I've had a treo since the Treo 300. Previous to that I owned a samsung I300. Recently I purchased a 2004 Acura TL with bluetooth, and I really needed a phone that worked well in the car. I originally opted for a motorola v600, which works well in the TL, but the interface is just horrible. I HATE not having a smart phone with me. I did a little digging and found an engineering prototype of the Motorola MPX. It's a very impressive device.The form factor is great, and overall it has a smaller footprint than the treo 600. It has a gorgeous screen (in both standard and landscape mode). Built in wifi/bluetooth work wonderfully, except with the TL Needless to say I had to keep on looking for another phone. I finally decided on a Blackberry 7100T. The BB works great in the car, has a decent web browser, and excellent email capability but it still isn't a treo. I'm really hoping that the treo 650 has a hands free profile that works in the TL. If that's the case i'm going to ditch all of my other phones (except for the V600 as a backup). For those of you who don't believe I got my hands on an MPX, here are some pics to prove it. BTW, i'm selling the MPX since I don't have a use for it now. PM me if interested If anybody has any questions about the 7100T or the MPX, please post them here and i'd be happy to share.

http://cuttingedgeconsultants.com/allfour1.jpg

http://cuttingedgeconsultants.com/bbmpx1.jpg

http://cuttingedgeconsultants.com/bbmpx3.jpg

http://cuttingedgeconsultants.com/mpx1.jpg
    how the heck did you get that...and what carrier is it for???
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JO\/E
    how the heck did you get that...and what carrier is it for???
    I got it from a member of howardforums.com who had some engineering prototypes. It works on GSM networks... it's a triband phone. 850/1800/1900mhz. Unfortunately I use tmobile and it simply doesn't work well for me in my area, nor does it work in my TL. I tried an At&T sim in it and it worked wonderfully though.
    I must say....
    My EYES got pretty big looking at your first pic. GOOD STUFF!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JO\/E
    I must say....
    My EYES got pretty big looking at your first pic. GOOD STUFF!!!
    LOL, it's quite a collection of high tech goodies isn't it? I was interested in also getting an MPX 220, but I still need something more than a generic numeric keypad to get by on.
    csunracer I sent you a PM about the MPX. Is it fully functional as in if i go to tmobile, could i use their service for voice and data? thanks
  7.    #7  
    I never was able to test it out on tmobile because i couldnt get a signal in my area. I popped in an ATT sim and it worked well. The phone is an engineering model with a engineering rom that cripples the amount of ram available to the user (it comes with 64 but is crippled to 32). Future rom updates should fix that issue. As far as the phone goes, it's the latest engineering build with the latest rom version.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I would like the MPx without the migraine keyboard
  9. mnf
    csunracer, how would you compare the 650 and the MPX hardware-wise; build quality, ease of use, one-handed operation (650) vs landscape/PDA style option (MPX?) What about the differences in OS, incuding efficiency, stability and battery life? And what about the synergy between the hardware and the software; intuitiveness and fluidity of use? Which do you think would be better for someone like me, more a "have my PDA with me all the time in a small form factor" type rather than a "have my multi-media device with me all the time in a small form factor" type? Thanks
    Hang on to those other phones and do us a full comparison when you buy your 650 then you can ditch that BB & Motorola rubbish

Couple of questions for you.

- Can the MPX be used effectively one-handed? Make calls, look up numbers, like you can with T600?

- The Blackberry just looks like a lame alternative to T9 that most people are have keypad phones are familiar. Does it have any advantage over T9? Or does the guessing mean you are usually only pressing 1 key for each letter like the Treo?

Just by the photos it seems size & weight are about equal for all three, any comments. Does one feel heavier, or too wide, etc

Cheers
    VikingBrad

Cheers
    Brad
    You sure have some nice toys.....

Did you try out the wifi on the MPX? How was it? What was its impact on the battery?

I think you need to do a full-feature review of all four phones and post it right here on TC
    i heard they're going to put a 412mhz processor into the mpx. also more ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad
    - Can the MPX be used effectively one-handed? Make calls, look up numbers, like you can with T600?
    no. if you ever used the sidekick 1 or 2, then you know you cant do that.
    why would people want the mpx anyway...? with it being closed...it about the size of the treo. think about when you open it up and talk...that thing would be the size of a remote.
    Unfortunately I use tmobile and it simply doesn't work well for me in my area, nor does it work in my TL. I tried an At&T sim in it and it worked wonderfully though.
    csunracer- Did the Mpx not work with Tmobile just in your area or does in not work with Tmobile at all. I may be interested if I can verify it works with Tmobile.
    i have a simple reason why not to get the MPx

ITS A MOTO!...they're build quality is getting better...but still subpar
    nice color of carpet, like the earthtone colors. oh yeah nice set of toys let me see your gadget belt.
    http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/digi...mpx-023422.php

The design is certainly nice, but I think I would wait for the next version for Motorola to "smooth" it out a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by csunracer
    Hey guys, i'm a loyal treo user. I've had a treo since the Treo 300. Previous to that I owned a samsung I300. Recently I purchased a 2004 Acura TL with bluetooth, and I really needed a phone that worked well in the car. I originally opted for a motorola v600, which works well in the TL, but the interface is just horrible. I HATE not having a smart phone with me. I did a little digging and found an engineering prototype of the Motorola MPX. It's a very impressive device.The form factor is great, and overall it has a smaller footprint than the treo 600. It has a gorgeous screen (in both standard and landscape mode). Built in wifi/bluetooth work wonderfully, except with the TL Needless to say I had to keep on looking for another phone. I finally decided on a Blackberry 7100T. The BB works great in the car, has a decent web browser, and excellent email capability but it still isn't a treo. I'm really hoping that the treo 650 has a hands free profile that works in the TL. If that's the case i'm going to ditch all of my other phones (except for the V600 as a backup). For those of you who don't believe I got my hands on an MPX, here are some pics to prove it. BTW, i'm selling the MPX since I don't have a use for it now. PM me if interested If anybody has any questions about the 7100T or the MPX, please post them here and i'd be happy to share.
    Csunracer....you rock! The way you set the phones up side by side for comparison on the carpet was great. I have the same dilemma regarding my car and handsfree use of a phone. Presently, I have a hard-wired Moto v60 in my MBZ S430. All voice controlled -- really sweet. "dial by number, name, -- also voice control over radio, CD, navigation, etc...." My lease is ending soon on the MBZ and I have looked at every BT car out there including the TL. I grappled with purchasing the TL unsure that any BT phone would work with it. However, I decided customize a phone system (w/hidden mic/audio through car speakers) into an Infiniti FX -- using the Treo 600 and later a BT Treo 650. The car has some unique design features that provide locating the Treo in some really cool places. It's going to look space age -- appear as though the Treo came integrated with the car.

Thanks for your posting. It helped me sort out some things.
    Last edited by specimen38; 10/14/2004 at 05:47 PM.
    Did the MPX have the crippled ROM (or RAM, I can't remember and that thread on hofo is a monster) that I read about?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast