1.    #1  
    Quite a while ago I tried changing from a Nokia 9200 to a Treo 300 but ended up changing back again. My Nokia is coming to the end of its life and am wondering wether to try the new Treo or upgrade to the Nokia 9500.

One of the things that I really like about the Nokia is the ability to have the phone automatically lock itself (stops the girlfriend looking at my SMS messages apart from anything else). On the other hand I am tempted by the availability of Palm software over Symbian.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two phones? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    ill tell you right now...im going to the brick...aka nokia 9500...that thing is the shiznit
    So...what if you placed the Treo on a table and used the Nokia 9500 to pound it...Which one would break first?
    the palm can lock itself automatically as well... it's in the security app... the real brick is the hitachi g1000... that thing is a better paper weight than it is pda or phone... the nokia is ok... but i would definitely bet on the popularity of palm over symbian will help you out in the long run... palm is more versatile because it's used on regular pdas as well as phones, so you'll be able to find a greater range applications than symbian
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    see there is one thing that the palm does better than the symbian (thus far ive noticed)

outlook sync...simply amazing

but the reason i call the 9500 the brick, is because of the references and live photos shown in hofo, and well the overall form
    i'm totally hooked on yahoo!'s calendar. their free intellisync software does a great job of keeping my treo300 up to date, and i don't use outlook. if i went with the nokia, or any other choice such as the motorola mpx which i also think is a really hot phone, i would probably have to at least go through an extra step to sync to outlook and then to yahoo, since outlook is the common denominator.

nothing particular against outlook, but yahoo sends me 2 email reminders of every appointment. and then of course my treo beeps as well. for a scatterbrain such as myself, this is too good to give up.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    ^funny i got the best of both worlds.

I have a rogers account (that is who does my cable internet here in ottawa), and well they finally partnered up with Yahoo. So now i can check my mail on yahoo site with my rogers email account. I get notifications go to my treo 600 when i get mail, and well if it wasnt for the fact that i have outlook on 24/7 when i am here in ottawa, i would use my treo to acess the wap version of yahoo mail

but aarons12, i would love to learn mroe about this feature you are using..

Oh as a note...overall there is something that i need. BB SOFTWARE! BB push email, well is sick!
    Hofo, any thoughts on Symbian vs Palm? I am considering the 6630 when it comes out as a possible alternative to the Treo 650. Now that the BenQ P50 has been delayed until sometime next year, its out of the picture.
    When the smartphone came around I was looking for an Ericsson R380e but got out of stock, so I went from a T28s to a Nokia 9210. I was very happy to have Office in my phone. But, then the Treo 270 came around with keyboard. I bought one and it was more convenient than the N9210 simply because I needed a flat surface (with N9210) to use the QWERTY keyboard. Then, from the T270 to Treo 600 with a better form factor.

What I missed with Symbian is the multi-tasking and it doesn't have GPRS then. Form-factor wise Treo 650 is still a winner in usability. Perhaps if my carrier carry the Nokia 9300 as a free phone on plan, I might take it up, if they don't carry the Treo 650. (Then, sell it and my T600 to purchase the Treo 650? :-) )
    Hi marcusdxb, I was an early user of Nokia 9110 then upgraded to Nokia 9210 when that came out. I switched over to Treo 600 as soon as I got to feel how nice it feels to have it in my hands, must be its sexy curves. ;-)

I've been giving glances at the upcoming Nokia 9300 and Nokia 9500 and comparing them with Treo 650. It's likely I'll opt for the latter, as soon as it get to my part of the shore.

Nokia 9300 is about same size/weight as Treo 650 (about 168g). Specs are also very similar. But the Treo 650 no-flip screen, one-thumb one-handed typing, and easy two-thumbs in hands typing makes it a winner for me.

Nokia 9500 is much heavier (about 222g) and higher specified (includes WiFi) than Treo 650. I'm hoping the latter will have SDIO WiFi working at least, and GPRS. My belt sighed a huge relieve when I moved from the 244g Nokia 9300 (9210, I meant) to the 167g Treo600.

I use my Treo650 in a belt case that allows me to use it totally one handed. One finger flip open the magnetic flap of the case, one finger push the Treo into my right hand, one right hand thumb press on power button the phone is open to my HS2 list to shopping/Todo lists. You need two hands to use the apps on the Nokia 9210/9300/9500 or a flat surface to put it down to use like a mini notebook. I think the one handed convenience will make me stay/wait for the Treo 650 (instead of going back to Nokia communicators).

The Treo 650 makes one handed usage even smoother than the Treo600, with the move of the home and menu keys from bottom edge to the middle near the D-pad navigator keys.

Jaxboro, regarding Symbian vs Palm, I believe you have much better choices of free apps (also open source apps) with the latter. And in many case better apps too.

ManofTrueGod, regarding multi-tasking, I didn't find that it is something I really missed with the apps I used on Nokia 9210 vs Treo 600. What particular circumstances makes you miss the multi-tasking?

regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    Last edited by sabre23t; 10/15/2004 at 01:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre23t
    Nokia 9500 is much heavier (about 222g) and higher specified (includes WiFi) than Treo 650. I'm hoping the latter will have SDIO WiFi working at least, and GPRS. My belt sighed a huge relieve when I moved from the 244g Nokia 9300 to the 167g Treo600.

regards, sabre23t =^.^=
    I agree with you sabre, with regard to one-handed is better. I'm assuming you meat the much heavier 9210 (the 9500 isn't out yet).

The Nokia 9300 is a better comparison to the Treo 6xx. Although they drop some features to get to a similar size/weight. The 9500 is just way too big.

Bring on the T650

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    here some other nokia news:

Nokia's Net Profit Falls 20%
    After Price Cuts in Handsets

A WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE NEWS ROUNDUP
    October 14, 2004 6:37 a.m.

HELSINKI, Finland -- Nokia Corp.'s net profit fell 20% amid heavy operating losses in its mobile-phone division, after the company struggled to win back market share by lowering prices of its popular handsets.

The world's largest mobile-phone maker said net profit for the third quarter was €660 million ($813.6 million), or 14 European cents a share, compared with net profit of €823 million, or 17 cents a share, in the year-earlier period.

Have a peek at what to expect in the third-quarter reports of some major corporations.

Revenue rose 1% to €6.94 billion from €6.87 billion.

Nokia's mobile-phone division, which accounts for about 80% of its revenue, reported a 13% drop in sales to €4.43 billion from €5.12 billion. Operating profit at the division fell 44% to €822 million from €1.47 billion.

Last month, the Finland-based company raised its earnings forecasts for the quarter, because of higher-than-expected demand for its handsets. But while Nokia's overall handset sales grew significantly in Asia, sales declined significantly in North America and slightly in Latin America.

The company expects fourth-quarter sales to be in the range of €8.4 billion to €8.6 billion, compared with sales of €8.8 billion in the year-earlier quarter. Per-share earnings are expected to be in the range of 16 cents to 18 cents, compared with 25 cents.

The company aims to launch 35 new models this year. Last month, it unveiled three fashion-oriented headsets slated to go on sale in the fourth quarter.

In 4 p.m. New York Stock Exchange composite trading Wednesday, Nokia's American depositary shares rose 18 cents to $13.98.
  13.    #13  
    The Nokia 9200 sync's well with Outlook... most of the time, so I presume that the 9500 will be at least as good. Your comment about 'brick' is fair, they are large, on the other hand nobody wants to steal it because they think its a remote control. To be fair, its the best business tool I have ever had, but if there is something better I'm all for it.
    Sabre,

That may be, but other than having a full keyboard the 6630 looks sweet! I only care about a few apps, but since Series 60 doesn't have the Mac support that Palm has that might be the deciding factor. Case in point, SplashShopper, a program I love, has a Mac desktop client on the Palm side and not on the Series 60 side. I emailed them and asked about the possiblity for a desktop Series 60 for Macs and they said it was not in the works because the interest is not there.
    i've use the nokia 9110 and then the 9210. it was good in its time. but the 9500 is probably the 'weakest' smartphone out there. its pc suite software is a real pain to install and use as in ALL nokia phones.
    stick to treo for 1 click hotsync.
    sabre, multi-tasking allows me to open any app by pressing the special top row keys, run them, leave them behind, and switch to another app. I missed that capability. I also missed the Office package that went with the phone. I have to shell some money with the Treo if I wanted that. I thought that at the price of the Treo perhaps they could have bundled Office-like package as well. Not.

Fortunately, my work changed and the demands for Office-like software diminished.