1.    #1  
    I'm in a weird situation here. I like Chatter quite a bit and am more than ready to register it. However, I understand that there are some bugs that need to be worked out.

I need to make sure there are no rather large shortcomings, bugs, kinks, etc. because I don't have the time to deal with them. It's not so much that I can't deal with them. I'd love to have the time to fully beta test the product. In reality, I can't.

I've been using Snapper Enterprise and my trial period will be running out in about a week are so. While Snapper is a more "polished" product that seems to get the job done out of the box, Chatter is not. It will be; but currently, it takes some tweaking a bit of tech saaviness to max its potential.

My dilemma is that I like the GUI and ease of use of Snapper, but the flexibility and support (Marc) of Chatter. Users who have used both (Snapper Enterprise) and recent releases of Chatter would probably have some good insight and answers.

Push would be nice, but is not necessary.

What should I do?
    Sounds like snapper is for you. It's easier to use, and faster to use (minus waiting for mail to download). It is indeed polished and you don't have to worry about resets and such. It is a complete project. I am a registered snappermail user, but current Chattermail user and I hope I can say the same about it's interface as snapper in the near future.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I'd vote for Chatter simply because it is written exclusively for IMAP and the Treo. If you need POP, Snappermail is a great choice. As for bugs, I used Snappermail during the IMAP beta period and they experienced as many if not more bugs. Otherwise, if you can go legacy free, Chatter and Marc Blank is the way to go.

Christopher
    Do they both do the job? That is the question. I love Snapper. I love Chatter. I chose Chatter over Snapper because of a feature or two that I absolutely needed, but would have been happy the other way as well. If you need IDLE, Chatter is the only way to go. If you need POP, you are pretty well hosed with Chatter, and you need Snapper.

Chatter has had stability problems, but then it is still Beta software, unlike Snapper. This should not be a perminate problem, though. In the end, there is no right or wrong answer. There is no "one product is better than the other", just what is better for you.
    [An aside here... Chatter Email has gotten much more stable in the last few revisions.]
    i use chatter with my pop mail through fuse mail and chatter is very stable for me

Fred
    The latest versions of Chatter have indeed proved to be very stable here too. Pushed IMAP is great on Chatter. Attachments receipt is now supported too.

If you need POP, then Snapper is better. If you need attachment _sending_ right now, Snapper is better. (If you can wait, Chatter should support sending soon.)

Chatter fullfils most of my needs now and sure bets Snapper in terms of cost and developer responsiveness.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    I've been playing around with various clients and think Chatter is the way to go. It had some big stability issues but the recent versions are excellent and Marc is very responsive.
    marc. I was using chatter recently, but stopped using it because in composing mode, I couldn't switch to the subject line without poking at the screen or unsheathing my stylus. and vice versa. do you plan to change this is the future?
  10.    #10  
    I get a ton of emails a day from various different accounts. Speed is very important to me. At this point Snapper works faster than Chatter when the settings are compared apples to apples (e.g. downloading x amount of messages of y sizes).

Perhaps I'm missing something in the way I should be "optimizing" Chatter. Have others found Snapper to be faster with syncing IMAP messages?

Thanks for all the previous replies, though I still haven't made a decision yet on which way I'm going to go.
    I love Chatter and it is one major reason I might will stay with the 600/650 versus going with the Daxian/PPC 6600. I use Chatter throughout the day to keep up with my work and personal email and it is working flawlessly for me. It is great to be sitting in a meeting and have the speaker turned off on my 600 and Chatter will pop-up a window whenever I have new email. Previously I had tried Snapper but if I remember right, the version that includes IMAP support was very, very expensive compared to the registration cost of Chatter.
    illustreous - Last time I checked, Chatter was still faster than Snapper. And yes, there are various optimizations that can be made to Chatter.

Marc
  13.    #13  
    Is your personal email on fastmail? I was actually thinking of having gmail forwarded to fastmail since Google provides this feature now.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    I love Chatter and it is one major reason I might will stay with the 600/650 versus going with the Daxian/PPC 6600. I use Chatter throughout the day to keep up with my work and personal email and it is working flawlessly for me. It is great to be sitting in a meeting and have the speaker turned off on my 600 and Chatter will pop-up a window whenever I have new email. Previously I had tried Snapper but if I remember right, the version that includes IMAP support was very, very expensive compared to the registration cost of Chatter.
  14.    #14  
    Marc, then perhaps it is an optimization issue on my end. I will get the lastest build, tweak it and re-test.

Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    illustreous - Last time I checked, Chatter was still faster than Snapper. And yes, there are various optimizations that can be made to Chatter.

Marc